Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2016, 03:03 PM

22 posts, read 43,413 times

Advertisements

We are thinking of moving out of state. We currently own our home. We are stuck as to the "proper" way to go about this. Of course, in a perfect world. One of us would get a job offer, sell house, buy new home in new state, then move. But the likelihood of that happening is slim. We don't know many people that have done this, the only people we know have rented, on both ends. How is the best way to go about this? List our house and try to sell before we have jobs lined up, rent here until we do? Or not list the house until we get a job offer, list house, rent in new state. We would like to use the proceeds from selling as a down payment on the new house in the new state. Any suggestions? Been there, done that advice? We're in our early 30's no kids, just a dog
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2016, 03:28 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,749,614 times
How much do you have saved? What is the housing market like where you are selling and moving? What about your field you work in? What does that market look like for getting hired? There is way too many variables to give you any advice.

I can tell you my husband and I have done it twice. The first time was renting on both ends. I lined up a job and we moved. Easy.

Second time we had kids, husband got a job, we sold our house and lost a ton of $$$. Rented where we moved. That was very stressful and would be happy if I never had to do it again!

Old 07-18-2016, 05:40 PM

7,246 posts, read 7,079,089 times
We did this: hubby (primary breadwinner) started looking. Went out of state for interviews and was offered a job. He rented an apartment that would fit the whole family and moved. I listed the house, sold it, packed up. He came back for the closing then we were all gone. Then I went and house hunted. Moved in to our new home with 2 weeks left on our lease. Yes we tossed money away on a rental for a year but it was worth it to have a good chance to figure out where we really wanted to be.

Old 07-19-2016, 09:32 AM

22 posts, read 43,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
We did this: hubby (primary breadwinner) started looking. Went out of state for interviews and was offered a job. He rented an apartment that would fit the whole family and moved. I listed the house, sold it, packed up. He came back for the closing then we were all gone. Then I went and house hunted. Moved in to our new home with 2 weeks left on our lease. Yes we tossed money away on a rental for a year but it was worth it to have a good chance to figure out where we really wanted to be.
This is what we are leaning towards. It tends to take me longer to find employment than my husband (he has all the luck) so I might be the one moving and he might stay behind. We think it's the best plan, even though it's not ideal really.

We have enough saved, but really only want to use the proceeds from the sale, and keep the other money saved. We will pocket about 50K (in theory) when we sell, and we are keeping our house budget super low(max 200K).

Old 07-19-2016, 10:54 AM

4,577 posts, read 5,667,145 times
Quote:

Renting for a few months is a lot cheaper than making a mistake in buying in the first place -- wrong neighborhood, wrong school, too far from work, etc. This is a solid plan, OP -- consider it carefully.

Old 07-19-2016, 12:19 PM

19,441 posts, read 27,844,220 times
Quote:
THIS. Whoever makes the most money should be the one getting the first job.

In the meantime, start packing, throwing stuff away, get the house spotless and ready to put on the market as soon as that job is lined up and an apartment in the new town is rented. Don't wait on this stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate