Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2016, 11:13 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,016,029 times

Advertisements

I've always considered such things as elections but have noticed over the last 24 years of buying and selling that the general public really cares less about who's in office and do not base buying/selling on such issues.
The president does NOT have a giant lever in the oval office that controls the economy and has congress to deal with (if he/she follows the constitution) so I'd expect no rapid changes no matter who gets elected.
Long term? Yes, there'll be changes but a person who's attentive should see 'em coming before they hit.
I don't see a spike in interest rates until well after the election no matter who gets elected. There is/going to be too much other stuff going on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2016, 02:21 PM

23,979 posts, read 15,086,618 times
Even back in the late 70s and early 80s, when the interest rate was 15% houses were still selling. At regular prices.

Old 08-05-2016, 04:02 PM

7,271 posts, read 4,214,344 times
something else to consider is the potential for banking reform. one of the first things the govt. did in the last crisis was suspend traditional accounting practices so that banks did not have to mark assets to market. this allows them to carry assets (hide losses) on their books. they may be forced to dump property to stabilize the banking system if (heavens forbid) we go back to common sense financial reporting. We may get another govt "Resolution Trust" to take and liquidate property like in the 80's. Not to mention we are already seeing wall street shenanigans with mortgage products again.

people will always need homes and everything is location specific. one area may improve while others decline.

Old 08-05-2016, 04:14 PM

3,804 posts, read 9,324,268 times
The only certainty is that there will be uncertainty.

Old 08-06-2016, 12:31 AM

1,846 posts, read 3,940,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
I've always considered such things as elections but have noticed over the last 24 years of buying and selling that the general public really cares less about who's in office and do not base buying/selling on such issues.
The president does NOT have a giant lever in the oval office that controls the economy and has congress to deal with (if he/she follows the constitution) so I'd expect no rapid changes no matter who gets elected.
Long term? Yes, there'll be changes but a person who's attentive should see 'em coming before they hit.
I don't see a spike in interest rates until well after the election no matter who gets elected. There is/going to be too much other stuff going on.
+1

If I was in the OP's shoes, I'd sell at the best time of year for selling, but not worry about the elections while deciding on when to sell.

Old 08-06-2016, 03:38 PM

1,185 posts, read 1,504,089 times
Well, house prices have drops substantially in the UK after Brexit:

U.K. House Prices Slide by Most in Five Months After Brexit Vote - Bloomberg

If the Lord Emperor Donald Trump is elected, chances are house prices will go down.

If old decrepit Maleficent Clinton get's elected, look for house prices to go up.

Things that increase globalism tends to increase house prices. Things that hinder globalism tend to drive them down.

In all reality though, it will probably have very little effect.

Old 08-07-2016, 07:07 AM

4,451 posts, read 6,801,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jukes View Post
I've searched to find threads but couldn't see many about this. We would prefer to list our house next spring, but are being told by people (many are Realtors) that we should list it before labor day this year to sell before the election, because if Trump wins, prices could fall.....and people won't be buying.....
Really??
If we sell now, we'd have to rent for about 9 months, which is a pain.
The other question for us is we will be needing to pay the loan back in full in a year, converting the money back to British Pounds Sterling from US $'s. If the Pound strengthens over the next year, we'd have to pay back more than we borrow....difficult to predict perhaps.
Thanks!
Q: Crystal Ball, should I sell now or later?
Q; Crystal Ball, will the dollar get stronger or weaker against the pound?
Q: Crystal Ball, when is the right time to buy?

I think you'd be better off asking the crystal ball what is the next Amazon or Apple stock.

Old 08-07-2016, 12:54 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,665,525 times
Whom ever is election President isn't going to have any control on the interest rate that the Federal Reserve sets. The Federal Reserve isn't controlled by the government it is controlled by the banks. The Federal Reserve isn't federal anymore than Federal Express is federal. Most people assume that the federal reserve is a government agency but they are wrong.

Old 08-08-2016, 09:02 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
Default Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinbro2002 View Post
Whom ever is election President isn't going to have any control on the interest rate that the Federal Reserve sets. The Federal Reserve isn't controlled by the government it is controlled by the banks. The Federal Reserve isn't federal anymore than Federal Express is federal. Most people assume that the federal reserve is a government agency but they are wrong.

FRB: Who are the members of the Federal Reserve Board, and how are they selected?

Quote:
Who are the members of the Federal Reserve Board, and how are they selected?

The members of the Board of Governors are nominated by the President of the United States and confirmed by the U.S. Senate.

Old 08-08-2016, 10:19 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,587,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jukes View Post
I've searched to find threads but couldn't see many about this. We would prefer to list our house next spring, but are being told by people (many are Realtors) that we should list it before labor day this year to sell before the election, because if Trump wins, prices could fall.....and people won't be buying.....
Really??
If we sell now, we'd have to rent for about 9 months, which is a pain.
The other question for us is we will be needing to pay the loan back in full in a year, converting the money back to British Pounds Sterling from US $'s. If the Pound strengthens over the next year, we'd have to pay back more than we borrow....difficult to predict perhaps.
Thanks!
I think a bigger concern would be an interest rate hike, which is likely later this year I've read, now that the jobs rate has picked up more. It will be small, and so the effect may be small, but there will probably be some effect on sales or prices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate