Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2016, 03:17 PM

4,399 posts, read 10,669,291 times

Advertisements

Looking for a 2br condo for myself. Partially because of resale and partially because id like the extra space and in thefuture I will probably be living with somrone. How negatively are railroad apartments looked at versus a normal lay out.
Should I look at them like 1br in terms of comps?
This particular property has a seperate dining room living room and 2br. It also has two entrances so technically you can walk outside the apt to get around the other bedroom. What does everyone think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2016, 04:33 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,754,485 times
I didn't know what they were so had to look them up. It's an apartment with a hallway connecting the rooms on one side. I think it got it's name from one of those sleeping car style railway cars that have a hallway running along the edge.

We have family friends that live in a 2 bedroom apartment which is a RR style layout. You walk in and to the right is the living room, then ahead of the entrance on the long hallway is one bedroom to the right, another one after that and at the end of the hallway is the bathroom, to the right of that is the kitchen. It's also across the street from a train station.
Attached Thumbnails
Railroad style condos-railroad-apt.png  

Old 08-07-2016, 06:02 PM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,337,447 times
That is so awesomely cool and different! Personally, doesn't work for me but I do love the differentness of it

yeah, I know differentness is not a word but it works here!

Old 08-07-2016, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
I didn't know what they were so had to look them up. It's an apartment with a hallway connecting the rooms on one side. I think it got it's name from one of those sleeping car style railway cars that have a hallway running along the edge.

We have family friends that live in a 2 bedroom apartment which is a RR style layout. You walk in and to the right is the living room, then ahead of the entrance on the long hallway is one bedroom to the right, another one after that and at the end of the hallway is the bathroom, to the right of that is the kitchen. It's also across the street from a train station.
Sorry about that I should have explained the slang. What I'm refering to is an apartment where bedroom 1 and bedroom 2 open to each other with no other access to the rest of the apartment except through the other bedroom. Most times there is a door outside the apartment(or condo in this case) so that you can leave the apartment and go back in to avoid the bedroom.

Old 08-07-2016, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post

The picture is mostly what I'm talking about except one important difference. There are no entrances to a hallway in the unit. The entrances are to the room ahead of it, with the last one being outside the unit. This causes a big issue with privacy since the person in one of the bedrooms has through another bedroom(or outside the apartment) to go anywhere else in the apartment.
This set up is obviously very bad for unrelated roomates and a family with a teenage kid.
For a couple might not be so bad because they will be in the same room anyway.

Old 08-07-2016, 06:57 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,758,510 times
These used to be called railroad flats in the NYC area.

They were found in tenement type areas and usually dated from the late 19th century. No one liked them because of the lack of privacy.

Is this design still being built ? It's not going to work well with children or with unrelated people. It's not even going to work with related people as the bedroom is constantly being disturbed by people going to the LR or kitchen and walking through the bedroom.

OP- I would try to find a more modern design that would have better resale.

Old 08-07-2016, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
The picture is mostly what I'm talking about except one important difference. There are no entrances to a hallway in the unit. The entrances are to the room ahead of it, with the last one being outside the unit. This causes a big issue with privacy since the person in one of the bedrooms has through another bedroom(or outside the apartment) to go anywhere else in the apartment.
This set up is obviously very bad for unrelated roomates and a family with a teenage kid.
For a couple might not be so bad because they will be in the same room anyway.
That's a little odd, normally if a bedroom only opens to another bedroom it can't be considered a bedroom. Along with a window and a closet that's one of the prerequisites, but since you say the last bedroom at the end would have a door to the outside that may make it a bedroom. I can only see this being good if the second bedroom is large has it's own bath and you can close it off and make it a little studio.

Okay I looked it up and it doesn't have hallways on the inside at least, and one bedroom leads into another and they are like train cars with one room leading into the next.

I found an image that someone else made online but they forgot a bathroom.

Old 08-07-2016, 07:05 PM

1,776 posts, read 1,871,951 times
Don't you mean shotgun style? https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shotgun_house

Old 08-07-2016, 07:07 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,202,259 times
I can't imagine being in a roommate situation where I had to exit the apartment or go through my roommate's bedroom to get out of my own bedroom. Are they supposed to go outside and come back in if they need to use the bathroom in the middle of the night? Or conversely I would not want a roommate walking through my room to get to other parts of the apartment.

Is there any chance of adding doorways that open into the hallway and closing off the connecting door between rooms? Or is there no hallway at all?

I would also be concerned about resale down the road, because I have to think that there is a limited market for a condo with this layout. Also, since this is presumably a condo conversion, the building may not have been constructed with soundproofing features in terms of noise from other units.

Old 08-07-2016, 07:19 PM

I found a video of one 2 br, but one br is tiny and looks like it has no windows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fMYzH-E1ME
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate