Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2016, 10:25 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,347,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBear View Post
Not everybody rings the doorbell before driving up and looking around.

No announcement to the homeowner, and that's trespassing by law, pure and simple.
You have a source or case showing that listing a house for sale is not an invitation to view it?

Kindly cite the law or case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2016, 10:26 PM

5,046 posts, read 9,621,027 times
I don't know a realtor who would walk around trespassing, although I've heard of some who do outside areas I'm familiar with...even to looking in windows. With permission when the house is vacant a couple of times .... but even then taking the risk that others don't know permission was granted.

It's a very rude thing to do but also dangerous. " For Sale" does not mean "Open House Open Yard Come Sit on My Porch and Look in My Windows."

Old 08-29-2016, 10:38 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,015,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
You have a source or case showing that listing a house for sale is not an invitation to view it?

Kindly cite the law or case.
Trespass | Definition of Trespass by Merriam-Webster

Trespass:

law : the crime of going on someone's land without permission

Technically, any time you go on another persons property WITHOUT permission beforehand, it is trespassing. Whether you "knock on the door" or not, is immaterial. If the owner then says it's trespassing, it is.

A listed house is part of a signed contract ONLY between the listing agent and an owner. You (general public at large) MUST have express permission of the OWNER or that agent, before you look over the property.

If you do NOT, it's trespassing!

Look up the laws yourself. Continue to do as you do, and eventually you could end up shot, or in jail.

Old 08-29-2016, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cully View Post
I don't know a realtor who would walk around trespassing, although I've heard of some who do outside areas I'm familiar with...even to looking in windows. With permission when the house is vacant a couple of times .... but even then taking the risk that others don't know permission was granted.

It's a very rude thing to do but also dangerous. " For Sale" does not mean "Open House Open Yard Come Sit on My Porch and Look in My Windows."
Let us get to reality. I would walk around and look in the windows of a house listed in the MLS with a suitable access code. Now is that a general license? Probably. I can't be sure but I suspect if I told buyer clients to take a look at the house and walk to the backyard to check the view on a suitably coded house they are fine. Is a mere advertisement that the house is for sale sufficient to be such a license? I would think probably so. Is a sign out front sufficient? Probably so. If accompanied by a sign that states showing by appointment only? Maybe not.

So be careful. When you list a property you may well be inviting visits...whether you mean to or not.

Old 08-29-2016, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBear View Post
Trespass | Definition of Trespass by Merriam-Webster

Trespass:

law : the crime of going on someone's land without permission

Technically, any time you go on another persons property WITHOUT permission beforehand, it is trespassing. Whether you "knock on the door" or not, is immaterial. If the owner then says it's trespassing, it is.

A listed house is part of a signed contract ONLY between the listing agent and an owner. You (general public at large) MUST have express permission of the OWNER or that agent, before you look over the property.

If you do NOT, it's trespassing!

Look up the laws yourself. Continue to do as you do, and eventually you could end up shot, or in jail.
you need to read your listing contract again. It involves listing with the MLS that binds you to a whole mess of stuff. And that includes access right to your property. And they do not go only to your listing agent who, in most cases, will never show your property.

Old 08-29-2016, 10:43 PM

753 posts, read 1,104,657 times
If you think it's OK to tresspass on somebody else's property just because it has a "for sale" sign in front.... how do you know there isn't a big nasty rottweiler or pit bull lurking in back?

The city code here is quite clear that it's unlawful to enter land without the permission of the owner or "person in possession", which I assume would be a tenant or such like. It's not just polite to ask permission, it's the law!

Old 08-29-2016, 10:48 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
Quote:
In general a house offered for sale is available for inspection. If not posted no trespassing there really is no law against walking around. Offended neighbor is not a criteria. If not fenced there may be no law against walking through your back yard either. Check the local laws.

I am an RE Agent so I can claim a certain amount of privilege and can generally talk a cop out of any action if some upset neighbor complains but I will walk around and examine a for sale house even if it is not available for open RE entrance. I will always check to see if anyone is home and will likely ring the bell just to tell them I am there...but that is to make sure I don't get shot as a prowler.

A certain amount of privilege? You're a RE agent. Nothing special or privileged. You sound entitled. If someone was selling a house maybe they don't want people going on the property without knowledge/approval or just showing up. They could have a dog in the yard, could be that something is being worked on and you could be hurt walking around. Having a house listed on the MLS doesn't mean you can show up uninvited to look at it. There is a reason why they have a agent/representation of their own. Maybe they expect you to follow proper channels. Because they don't want to talk to you or be bothered by your or your customers presence
And you really should understand that being a agent doesn't give you the right to peek in a house or walk around the property. Ringing the door bell doesn't make it ok to proceed

Old 08-29-2016, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.frog View Post
If you think it's OK to tresspass on somebody else's property just because it has a "for sale" sign in front.... how do you know there isn't a big nasty rottweiler or pit bull lurking in back?

The city code here is quite clear that it's unlawful to enter land without the permission of the owner or "person in possession", which I assume would be a tenant or such like. It's not just polite to ask permission, it's the law!
Fine until you put up a sign that arguable gives permission. Find a law that says that for sale sign or an MLS lsiting don't give permission. If you don't want people to look don't tag it for sale.

Old 08-29-2016, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
A certain amount of privilege? You're a RE agent. Nothing special or privileged. You sound entitled. If someone was selling a house maybe they don't want people going on the property without knowledge/approval or just showing up. They could have a dog in the yard, could be that something is being worked on and you could be hurt walking around. Having a house listed on the MLS doesn't mean you can show up uninvited to look at it. There is a reason why they have a agent/representation of their own. Maybe they expect you to follow proper channels. Because they don't want to talk to you or be bothered by your or your customers presence
And you really should understand that being a agent doesn't give you the right to peek in a house or walk around the property. Ringing the door bell doesn't make it ok to proceed
Certain MLS coding absolutely make a property view-able. Fact of life. I expect even a for sale sign is an invitation to view the property. If you don't mean that you best have other signage making your views clear.

I already said I will ring the door bell though with some MLS codes anyone answering would be a violation opening the listing agents to fines.

Old 08-29-2016, 10:57 PM

2,648 posts, read 2,315,200 times
Quote:
Damn. Why is this hard?

Are you quoting law or custom? Simple question. Kindly answer it.

Again I ring the doorbell. The question is am I being polite or is it required.
As a seller I don't care whether he's quoting law, manners or custom. I don't want strange people ringing my doorbell or wandering around my property. Make an appointment, or do a drive-by, but stay on the sidewalk.

I think it's pretty nervy of you to ring their doorbell to tell them you're going to be looking around. I can't believe you'd actually think it's okay to just walk around someones property just because it's listed for sale. You're trespassing on someones property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate