Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 01:29 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,882,290 times

Advertisements

I ran across this awhile back and since we have discused on here how some sellers pics don't do their homes justice I thought this would be beneficial to them. This is from a local realtor close by me that has a really great website. I don't know the man at all but I do enjoy his website and he has taken the time to show some GREAT examples of VERY BAD pics on MLS listings.

Picture Examples

I have to say some of them leave me wondering:

1. If the person is trying to sell the floral arrangement they may have on the table

2. The light fixture that is the only thing I can see 100% of is pretty but what about the rest of the room.

3. Why on earth people STRETCH pics to make ceiling fan look like it is 12' in diameter???? This one REALLY BUGS ME!!!!!

4. Nice column. What room is it in? Must be a very important column if it has to be front and center of the picture.

He also brings up another area some have mentioned and that is UPDATING the photos. Spring will be here soon and if your pics on the MLS listing show dead grass and no spring/summer color.......... Get them redone.
Why we re-shoot pictures in the Spring
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2008, 02:05 PM

1,408 posts, read 8,022,785 times
excellent post momof2. I read through the whole thing. There was one picture I could NOT figure out. It's stretched but I think it's a bathroom shower but since it's stretched it looks more like a puppet show window. That fan looks like it could decapitate someone.

Since we're moving some furniture out of our house, I plan on taking new interior pictures and getting my realtor to repost them. A while back Intown gave me some great picture taking tips that I'm excited to implement. I CAN'T WAIT for spring to arrive so I can take new exterior pictures. I hate winter in massachusetts. it's so ugly.

Old 02-21-2008, 02:16 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,631,332 times
I think pictures are HUGE!!!!!

Me and my wife are in the process of looking, and if the only picture posted is some front shot of the house taken right after sundown, I don't really care much about looking any further. It makes me wonder if the people even want to sale there house. It also makes me think that if the people put the same amount of effort into home maintenance as they did the pictures, I am not interested in the house.

Also, the junk pictures. If I see pictures taken of a house in dissaray, I assume that is the way it always is and that the home has not been taken good care of. It may not make me stop looking immediately, but it will lower the house on my list quiet a long way, like the bottom.

I really don't understand. In selling a house, I can't imagine it being difficult to just put away junk, vacuum really well, dust, rake/mow/clean the yard, and just take 8-10 quality photos.

I think some people don't really understand how big of a deal that is to prospective buyers, and how much more likely a prospective buyer will actually come look at their home if it is posted to a site with quality pictures to be viewed.

Me and my wife have ruled out several houses that by price and location were not exactly what we were looking for, but we were still interested in taking a look as we are fairly flexible if we find the right house. When bad pictures are all we have available to look at, we scratch it from the list.

Old 02-21-2008, 03:24 PM

339 posts, read 1,518,551 times
I agree - Pictures are huge.

Thanks for posting that link! I loved it! And it's sad that I have seen so many other pictures I would love to see on that site as examples of BAD pictures.

I, too, am put off by the "junk pictures." But you know - seriously - there is also what I call the "lazy pictures!" These would be pictures where the space is nice and clean so I assume effort was put into staging it, but then there was an obvious oversight of one or two items.

Examples of what I call the "lazy pictures" are:
- a clean bathroom with a hairbrush sitting on the counter
- a spotless kitchen with a knife laying on the counter
- a nice laundry room with a folded bath towels on the dryer
- a beautiful master suite with slippers collecting on the floor

Old 02-21-2008, 04:59 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,754,781 times
It is almost funniest home pictures!!!
I once looked at a home that caught my interest and in the picture had a blue color, which I didn't like so much, but the price and discription were all very nice. The street was posted but not the #. I have a home in the same street and there is only one blue colored home and that wasn't the one. After calling the agent and meeting him at the house, it turned out to be a nice vanila color home that needed to be repainted. How the realtor got a blue house on the MLS is .........

Old 02-21-2008, 05:14 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,052,779 times
Pictures are very important, especially in this saturated real estate market - I think that homeowners should have veto power before their realtor posts pictures on the internet or on flyers. I agree about identifying each room.

Old 02-21-2008, 06:40 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,882,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
It is almost funniest home pictures!!!
I once looked at a home that caught my interest and in the picture had a blue color, which I didn't like so much, but the price and discription were all very nice. The street was posted but not the #. I have a home in the same street and there is only one blue colored home and that wasn't the one. After calling the agent and meeting him at the house, it turned out to be a nice vanila color home that needed to be repainted. How the realtor got a blue house on the MLS is .........
Did you see where the guy even put beside one REALLY bad fuzzy pic of the exterior of the house that it is sad when the seller does not even recognize their own house. LOL!!!!!!!! THAT is bad.

I don't think we can post straight from MLS pics on here anymore but what if we did start a thread just putting the MLS number of ones we run across w/ REALLY BAD pics.

Old 02-21-2008, 07:24 PM

339 posts, read 1,518,551 times
I wish I can remember which listing I saw 2 nights ago that had a close up picture of a bathroom wall with the towel rack only and the rack was bent. I promise you I am NOT making that up!

Old 02-21-2008, 10:09 PM

70 posts, read 281,196 times
We have been looking for a investment property in Phoenix. Even though pictures can be deceiving, it is critcal for us shopping via the internet. I cannot believe how many horrible pictures that are posted. Many times there is only one picture, or pictures taken by a phone camera, or useless pictures (i.e. kitchen table, 5 different shots of a 1/2 bath, etc.). If there are not good pictures makes you wonder what they are hiding.

Old 02-22-2008, 07:10 AM

1,408 posts, read 8,022,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaindow View Post
- a nice laundry room with a folded bath towels on the dryer
Maybe the seller wanted the buyer to know which one was the dryer so they "highlighted" it. Seller conversation with seller "okay if I put the towels on the dryer then the buyer will know this is the laundry room and here is the dryer, open it up and there are the pillows" okay it's friday, it's snowing and i'm the only one who made it in to work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate