Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2016, 09:56 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,036,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblackga View Post
Don't do fake looking granite. It screams "cheap!!" People see the fake granite in pictures, but when they see it during a showing, they are so disappointed that they get turned off by the rest of the house. I've seen it happen again and again. Either get granite, or some other stone that is less expensive (quartz, etc.)
It is a cheap starter townhouse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2016, 10:40 AM

50,826 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
For me, it's because if a home that is so filthy when people live there, it makes you wonder what else they've neglected to take care of.
I do agree with that.

I have a small parrot. The cage is always pretty clean, but it's even cleaner now since I just feel that if there is the appearance of "dirtyness" that the issue you mentioned will be there.

When I bought this townhouse, it was a little bit of a fixer upper, although nothing structural. The woman had a huge yellow lab dog, and the house inspector I hired said he was expecting a hair issue in the furnace. To his surprise, the furnace was remarkably clean and well-kept-up. So you never quite know.

Old 09-27-2016, 10:53 AM

347 posts, read 427,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblackga View Post
Don't do fake looking granite. It screams "cheap!!" People see the fake granite in pictures, but when they see it during a showing, they are so disappointed that they get turned off by the rest of the house. I've seen it happen again and again. Either get granite, or some other stone that is less expensive (quartz, etc.)
To me granite is only worthwhile doing if you have good/newer cabinets. I've been in far too many houses where a piece of bargain basement granite has been slapped onto cabinets that are falling apart. And in those cases no amount of granite is going to fix the issue.

Old 09-27-2016, 10:59 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
The last time my townhouse was on the market, people complained that the dishwasher was not new and pretty. It did work. They complained that the walls, which had only been painted two years prior were not colors they like. I have country decor, so the country yellow kitchen, green and beiges fit my decor. But the buyers complained. They wanted new carpet, and a new deck. They wanted the hvac system, that was only 3 years old to be replaced. They hated the white laminate countertops. This is a basic starter home townhouse.

I just rented it. Going to try again. The painter is painting all walls beige, all trim white. Carpet is getting replaced beige. I am going to do all new deck boards and paint the front door.

If it still does not sell, I might have to bite the bullet and do granite or a fake looking granite counter top.
this has zero to do with whether a home being listed for sale is cluttered and filthy.

Old 09-29-2016, 12:13 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,146,766 times
I have a couple of relatives that are border line hoarders. It is depressing to see. One recently had a new piece of furniture delivered and complained that the delivery guys acted rudely. Um...maybe because there was so much crap in the way it made it difficult to get in the door? Same person sold their home about 15 yrs ago. I never thought it would sell. Turns out a border line hoarder bought it. I guess there is a buyer for everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate