Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2016, 07:23 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,981,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
I've never heard houses referred to as "used" or "pre-owned."

I live in New England in an area where there's not much new construction. I am fine with my "used" house on a very beautiful "used" lot in a very beautiful "used" neighborhood.
Exactly. It's the political correctness and paranoia thing in full swing, like the "pre-owned" term for used cars. Salesmen call them pre-owned because it makes them sound better than they are and also because it doesn't remind people of other people's germs, sweat, and maybe even other body fluids being in the car at some point in the past.

I do not like new construction. New construction homes seem very generic to me, especially here in Houston, because most of the new homes and subdivisions look exactly the same. This may be a geographical phenomenon, however. The new homes here are also built with very small yards, in the interest of adding more houses in a smaller space. And mature trees of the older homes is an advantage in our hot climates. And just because one buys a new home doesn't mean it is built without problems. Shoddy construction is rampant in new home build, once again in the pursuit of profit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2016, 09:39 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,504,053 times
Another thing I don't necessarily like about neighborhoods of new homes - there's higher neighbor turnover for some reason regardless of the price point. In our last neighborhood, we were an anomaly owning the home for over a decade. Most people move within five years. In our current neighborhood of older homes, there are many residents who have lived in the same homes for over 20, 25 years. It's not unusual to have original owners. I don't know...I kind of appreciate that stability, where people move into homes, raise their kids in the same home, and remain in the home until retirement. I know that turnover is very common but like I said, I appreciate things like that. Adds to that "Mayberry" feel.

Old 10-12-2016, 09:56 AM

294 posts, read 337,731 times
In the market I'm in right now, I'd be hard-pressed to pick used over new because the used ones have insane markups while the new ones comes with incentives and their own low rate financing.

Old 10-12-2016, 10:28 AM

8,877 posts, read 13,926,608 times
We are on our 7th home that we've owned and lived in. Only 1 was a Used house.

We do not even consider pre-owned homes when we look for a new place. That one house and seeing our friends' experiences with pre-owned homes has turned us off to them.

It's nice to have a new place, be ACTIVE and OBSERVANT in the build process, and then be able to hold the builder to task for any shortcomings.

Old 10-12-2016, 10:40 AM

11,582 posts, read 6,748,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mia775 View Post
In the market I'm in right now, I'd be hard-pressed to pick used over new because the used ones have insane markups while the new ones comes with incentives and their own low rate financing.
Exactly! We looked for months trying to find a "used" home and they were all out dated and needed a lot of work. For the same price we were able to buy brand new. The builder is established with excellent reviews. No issues reported. It is a solid home. 1/2 acre lot and a lot of mature trees in the subdivision. All new appliances, carpet, etc. Lots of younger families with elementary and middle school aged children which is what we wanted. Sometimes in older subdivisions there are no younger families with children.

As for the other 2 new homes that we had built in the past, the last one we lived there for for 10 years and never had any issues. It's all about researching the builder and the materials they use. We are very happy with the choices we have mad over the years, but to each their own!

Old 10-12-2016, 10:48 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,797,346 times
I have owned homes ranging in age between new construction and 150 years old. Generally speaking, the new construction had more issues than the 150 year old home.

The best maintained home I ever had was a Tudor built in the 1920's. The sellers had just replaced the slate roof before putting it on the market.

It all depends.

Old 10-12-2016, 10:55 AM

10,367 posts, read 8,006,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I have owned homes ranging in age between new construction and 150 years old. Generally speaking, the new construction had more issues than the 150 year old home.
It makes sense, if you stop to think about it. New homes range from excellent to crappy in their construction; the passage of time will weed the crappy ones out, leaving only the well-built ones still standing. The poorly-built homes from 150 years ago were bulldozed long ago.

Old 10-12-2016, 10:58 AM

4,795 posts, read 4,830,199 times
what is this new construction you speak of? Not really a think in LA so that makes it easy

Old 10-12-2016, 11:59 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,504,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
We are on our 7th home that we've owned and lived in. Only 1 was a Used house.

We do not even consider pre-owned homes when we look for a new place. That one house and seeing our friends' experiences with pre-owned homes has turned us off to them.

It's nice to have a new place, be ACTIVE and OBSERVANT in the build process, and then be able to hold the builder to task for any shortcomings.
lol, the irony is that once you live in the home, it's "pre-owned". I'm sure that when you sell, you hope to find buyers who will consider a "pre-owned" home

Old 10-12-2016, 01:42 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,926,608 times
True, but as you see in the replies here, there are people who will only buy Used. I should be OK. There's a market for all tastes out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate