Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2016, 10:55 AM

10,226 posts, read 7,574,766 times

Advertisements

I looked at a house recently that faces east (I'll call it HOUSEFORSALE). Its large yard is mainly unfenced. However, down one looooong side is a newish wooden privacy fence put up by a neighbor (that house faces south, so the back of that house is what has that long new fence with a gate in it).

The gate is 8 feet wide and opens out onto the HOUSEFORSALE's property (onto a patch of lawn that is about 10 ft wide, and then the driveway on the other side of that).

The only way to use that large gate is to drive onto the HOUSEFORSALE's driveway and then cross its 10 ft wide patch of lawn.

The gate is an entrance into the corner of back yard of the neighbor's house.

Seller of HOUSEFORSALE said only, when I asked agent about the gate, that they had not given any permission for them to use their property to enter that gate and those people had never discussed it w/them.

So I called the owners of the gated fence. She said she and her hubby had spoken to the owners of the HOUSEFORSALE, when they installed the fence, to let them know about the gate and what it was for. She told me that they have an 8 ft gate in the front of the yard, too, and that is the one that's used. They put in the big gate in the back yard to use for emergencies. She said they had used it only once...to have propane tanks for gas installed or something.

Not a great situation, but as long as its not used regularly (like for a boat), I'm thinking it's not a big issue? Then again, what if new buyers of the neighbor house decide to use it regularly? Also, if someone uses it and gets injured, isn't that liability exposure for the HOUSEFORSALE?

If I were to buy the HOUSEFORSALE, I could plant shrubs in front of the gate. But that might make for bad neighbor relations.

An odd situation. Has anyone ever encountered this? Any thoughts on the liability aspect, or otherwise?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2016, 11:00 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,691,273 times
What does YOUR agent say?

Old 10-19-2016, 11:00 AM

10,352 posts, read 7,977,886 times
How is that situation any worse than buying a house that has NO fenced yard to separate the two properties?

I think you're worried over nothing.

Old 10-19-2016, 11:04 AM

2,936 posts, read 2,333,000 times
Why can't the gate open in to their property instead of out? I'd need to see it in person.

Old 10-19-2016, 11:14 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,488 posts, read 3,335,073 times
We are building on a lot that has a chain link fence, separating the back property from ours, and there is a gate with a padlock on it.

I don't see it as an issue. Maybe they installed it just in case someone bought the property and they liked them and would make it easier for them to visit the new neighbors? Hopefully we can be those neighbors

I am not worrying about it. Their fence, they can place a gate anywhere they chose. Whether they actually come onto our property? If that issue comes up ever, we will deal with it then.

OP: if you like the place, don't worry so much about the gate. It will only be a concern if they actually use it all the time. If that does happen, you are the property owner to which they will be trespassing onto and deal with it then.

If you can't help but worry about what might happen down the road, pass on the place.

I tend to not worry about things until such time as there is something to worry about.

Old 10-19-2016, 11:16 AM

10,352 posts, read 7,977,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeHa View Post
Why can't the gate open in to their property instead of out?
I bet the hinges could be reversed so it would; that is something the OP might wish to inquire about.

Old 10-19-2016, 11:19 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robino1 View Post
We are building on a lot that has a chain link fence, separating the back property from ours, and there is a gate with a padlock on it.

I don't see it as an issue. Maybe they installed it just in case someone bought the property and they liked them and would make it easier for them to visit the new neighbors? Hopefully we can be those neighbors

I am not worrying about it. Their fence, they can place a gate anywhere they chose. Whether they actually come onto our property? If that issue comes up ever, we will deal with it then.

OP: if you like the place, don't worry so much about the gate. It will only be a concern if they actually use it all the time. If that does happen, you are the property owner to which they will be trespassing onto and deal with it then.

If you can't help but worry about what might happen down the road, pass on the place.

I tend to not worry about things until such time as there is something to worry about.

And, if needed, an oak tree or a nice sturdy stand of holly bushes in the gate swing arc might nicely accessorize the grassy lawn area.

Old 10-19-2016, 11:26 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,488 posts, read 3,335,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post

And, if needed, an oak tree or a nice sturdy stand of holly bushes in the gate swing arc might nicely accessorize the grassy lawn area.
Hahahahaha! I think I will leave that area accessible, at least until we find out whether or not the neighbors are friendly

If the unfriendly sort, we will plant another areca palm in front of the gate. We are planning on lining the whole back with those. They create a beautiful privacy fence and it will keep prying eyes off of our pool area.

They have a pool also but they don't have privacy plants. But then, why should they? They've had an overgrown lot in their backyard, basically, for years.

If I were them, I would wait until I found out what the new neighbors were going to do before shelling out bucks to plant more things to create privacy.

Old 10-19-2016, 11:33 AM

10,611 posts, read 12,115,646 times
What difference does it make WHICH WAY the gate opens? The point is it's an ingress onto another person's/homeowner's property.

IF, IF the new owner of the house the gate opens onto, puts his OWN fence on his side of the property line the other owner's gate would then:
1) open into his fence, and actually the gate couldn't be opened because it would be blocked and swing into the fence….opening how much….six inches???

2) So even IF the gate did swing open toward and into the gate owner's side -- sure he could open it all the way -- but it would open and you'd be facing a fence.

IF, I bought the unfenced property, I'd fence off that gate.
1) I'd just want my property fenced, 2) I don't want my neighbor having an ingress onto my property.

Would it make for a bad neighbor relationship? That depends on the gate owner……who has a gate in the front of his property, big your tanks in that way.

Old 10-19-2016, 12:20 PM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robino1 View Post
Hahahahaha! I think I will leave that area accessible, at least until we find out whether or not the neighbors are friendly

If the unfriendly sort, we will plant another areca palm in front of the gate. We are planning on lining the whole back with those. They create a beautiful privacy fence and it will keep prying eyes off of our pool area.

They have a pool also but they don't have privacy plants. But then, why should they? They've had an overgrown lot in their backyard, basically, for years.

If I were them, I would wait until I found out what the new neighbors were going to do before shelling out bucks to plant more things to create privacy.
Yep.
Learn how good a neighbor you will have, and how good a neighbor you want to be yourself.

We routinely see folks finding reasons to deny themselves what they say they want.
Mountains vs. Molehills....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate