Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2016, 07:55 AM

6,393 posts, read 4,117,050 times

Advertisements

Traditional house look like this.

A more modern looking house is something like this.

Do people typically want to buy the traditional type of house or can a house that look like the 2nd picture be competitive to a house that look like the first picture?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2016, 08:17 AM

5,662 posts, read 10,747,431 times
Location...location...location

Generally, the traditional one is probably easiest to sell but, in some places, just the opposite might be true.

Old 12-14-2016, 08:19 AM

19,442 posts, read 27,850,175 times
I'm a condumer. IMHO, that second house looks like a garage with commercial offices added to it . I like the landscaping, though.

But, as a senior citizen, I wouldn't be likely to purchase the first house, either. Don't want stairs.

Old 12-14-2016, 08:32 AM

9,361 posts, read 14,115,501 times
Today the interior means more to the consumer than the exterior, based on the homes I see being built around here. Lots of open space and light are important, as well as magazine-picture kitchens and bathrooms. Once those issues are taken care of the exterior becomes of interest. The first house you showed is too old fashioned and the second is too industrial. In the thousands of new homes being built around here, neither of those type facades is in evidence.

Old 12-14-2016, 08:57 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,816,702 times
In my market, to get the modern look, you have to be in a completely different price point than the "Average" buyer so you're comparing apples to oranges or plums. The modern look goes over very well in the Austin area, in the upper price points, but most people can't afford them.

Old 12-14-2016, 09:05 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,419,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
Do people typically want to buy the traditional type of house or can a house that look like the 2nd picture be competitive to a house that look like the first picture?
I think the second house is unbearably ugly and is in no way competitive to a traditional house.

Old 12-14-2016, 09:40 AM

6,393 posts, read 4,117,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
I think the second house is unbearably ugly and is in no way competitive to a traditional house.
My partner and I actually like the 2nd house a lot. But we are thinking long term and not sure if we will be able to sell it in the future. Hence, the question.

Old 12-14-2016, 10:32 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,219,950 times
I like modern architecture but don't care for that particular house. I'm not a fan of front facing garages to begin with but particularly not when they are the focal point of the front of the house. I feel that way regardless of whether it's modern or not but that one seems like a particularly egregious case of garage-focused architecture.

But obviously someone liked it enough to build it in the first place, you like it enough to want to buy it and chances are that when the time comes to sell, there will be other buyers who like it too. Not every buyer of course, and sure, the pool of potential buyers might be somewhat smaller than it could be for a more traditional home. But you only need one buyer.

Old 12-14-2016, 10:41 AM

15,578 posts, read 40,446,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
My partner and I actually like the 2nd house a lot. But we are thinking long term and not sure if we will be able to sell it in the future. Hence, the question.
It is too industrial looking for most people's taste. Modern/contemporary is totally fine, but not that particular home. Too closed off and blocky looking.

I'd go with a more big window type of home style if you like the block look. Like this one. Homes like this sell well in my area.

People want lots of natural light and big windows.

Old 12-14-2016, 10:49 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,083,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
In my market, to get the modern look, you have to be in a completely different price point than the "Average" buyer so you're comparing apples to oranges or plums. The modern look goes over very well in the Austin area, in the upper price points, but most people can't afford them.

In the Northeast it is generally just the opposite. Given two comparable properties in terms of specs, the modern is going to take a LOT longer to sell, and it will go at a 25-40% discount to the traditional. They just don't fit in well, and the small number of more modern homes seems to really stick out (like a sore thumb).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate