Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2017, 10:54 AM

16,279 posts, read 10,418,527 times

Advertisements

Again thank you all SO much, I was worried this thread was going to die as people moved on. A few thoughts:

I do believe this bathroom will be a big selling point if done right.

No to fiberglass, that's what I thought.

I'm going with tile floors, heated floors doubtful and depend on the price. I doubt I will ever recoup the cost.

There actually is room where the old laundry room is for a 2nd sink, even have the plumbing roughed in, but it would make the shower much smaller and be to the left of the existing sink, between the shower and the toilet, may look strange. But I take it that would be a big deal to buyers huh? There is no room for a double sink in the area where it is now.

I will text my friend the designer. Initially I used the site recommended to me earlier to get estimates for designers but it does not look like a couple hundred buck based on the questions asked and the early returns.

I'm not going for a tub with jets. We had one and agree it was maintenance and not very popular from everything I've seen and read. I took a measurement and learned the back of the claw foot tubs are too high, encroaching on the window by 4-5", so I'm pretty set on a standard deep soaker either stand alone or encased with tile as we have now but with a better look.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2017, 12:46 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,736,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Again thank you all SO much, I was worried this thread was going to die as people moved on. A few thoughts:

I'm going with tile floors, heated floors doubtful and depend on the price. I doubt I will ever recoup the cost.

There actually is room where the old laundry room is for a 2nd sink, even have the plumbing roughed in, but it would make the shower much smaller and be to the left of the existing sink, between the shower and the toilet, may look strange. But I take it that would be a big deal to buyers huh? There is no room for a double sink in the area where it is now.

I will text my friend the designer. Initially I used the site recommended to me earlier to get estimates for designers but it does not look like a couple hundred buck based on the questions asked and the early returns.

I'm not going for a tub with jets. We had one and agree it was maintenance and not very popular from everything I've seen and read. I took a measurement and learned the back of the claw foot tubs are too high, encroaching on the window by 4-5", so I'm pretty set on a standard deep soaker either stand alone or encased with tile as we have now but with a better look.
Hmmm, this might be one of those layouts that could really benefit from a professional then. I think it would be odd to have another vanity but with the toilet between them. Maybe there is room for a larger single vanity?

Old 01-01-2017, 01:47 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,484,806 times
Quote:

You look like you don't have a lot of space to work with in that bathroom (same with us but thankfully we don't have a bay window to deal with). That being said, if a fiberglass shower is the only thing that will fit and take up less space (while still providing a shower) then I see no reason not to explore that option. Having NO shower is far worse than having a fiberglass one. You're right, the shower rail and curtain would obscure the lovely bay window, so nix that suggestion. I'd easily give up a sink in exchange for space to shoehorn in a shower. You're home is historic, so it's to be expected that it may not have all of the more "modern" things like dual sinks. In our home, we only use one of the two sinks, go figure. If you do have about 60", then maybe you can get one of those dual sink vanities, but I'd much rather use the space for an additional shower unit.

As for heated floors, while a nice touch, it isn't worth the additional cost if money can be used for other things. There are many people who live in the north who don't have heated floors and they do fine. There's bath mats and rugs. I live in the south and tile is cold regardless and we don't have heat.

Can you please post a pic so that we can see the entire bathroom?

Old 01-01-2017, 02:46 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,128,038 times
Quote:
As you have convinced me to do tile and to make the tub the focal point can I get back on budget with a fiberglass shower or would that kind of screw up the plan to creat a WOW! bathroom?
My opinion is don't mix tile and fiberglass. A basic concept of any home decoration design is to not mix too many different elements.

An extreme example would be a room with 4 walls each with a different surface (wallpaper, paint, panel, etc.). I actually had that once and my DIY project covered 3 walls with high quality T&G stained pine paneling. (It was an add-on, 4th wall was stucco but not visible from the adjoining living room.

I advise all tile. I don't understand the thing with claw bath tubs. You gotta clean under. Straight sides, no under to clean. Must be me used to newer houses and not needing to adhere to the period the house was built in. I've never even seen such a tub except in pictures.

Old 01-01-2017, 04:46 PM

2,936 posts, read 2,335,424 times
First off, if you're planning to live there the next 10 years then sell, make sure its a bathroom you love, not just the best return on investment. No one knows where design will be in 10 years, if the HGTV/DIY/Pinterest obsession keeps growing it won't matter, people will be expecting to remodel.

I can't get the best idea of the layout, but if you really want a deep tub to soak in, take out the tile and framing on the tub, tile the floor and the wall below the window and go with a Japanese style soaking tub, make that the focal point. Do tile in the shower, it will hold up well and you can continue whatever tile pattern you used around the tub, and go for a glass shower enclosure, it opens up the space. Definitely do double sinks if it's possible. You can do the heated tile floors, I have them and they're definitely convenient but I still have bath rugs which work just as well.

Old 01-01-2017, 08:10 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,761,376 times
We did a master bath remodel one year ago, and went with vessel sinks. They look ugly at first, but once you've used one you realize that you don't have to bend over to brush your teeth. It's really convenient. I suggest a deep one, because they do splash. We went with clear glass so we could see the quartz countertop through it.

Any pipes in walls that border a bedroom, I suggest insulating those pipes. I actually insulated all the pipe I could get to before they closed the walls. Anyone asleep in that room, and someone goes in the shower, it sounds like Niagara Falls. You can buy straight lengths of foam pipe insulation really cheap at any home improvement store. It's simple to install. It may not kill the sound completely, but it does help.

Make sure they use wonderboard, a concrete like wall board, instead of regular sheetrock on any shower walls. The rest of the sheetrock should be the green colored one, resistant to moisture.

We put a steam generator for the shower, and now enjoy a mini steam room. You have to completely seal the whole shower in for this, and the ceiling has to be pitched. We also put an exhaust fan in the shower to exhaust the steam without saturating the bathroom.

I also suggest a seat in the shower. We used the same quartz as the counter top.

Fancy fixtures always look fancy, you get what you pay for. Builder's cheapo fixtures look cheap!

I agree with the person who suggested a more neutral tile, and you can always decorate with different colors of towels and bath mats. Restoration Hardware online has nice rugs inexpensively, and so does Overstock.com. As they say on HGTV, use colors to make it pop.

Old 01-01-2017, 08:31 PM

118 posts, read 182,379 times
I'm going to put in a plug for heated floors - we put them in our master bath remodel before we moved and thoroughly enjoyed them. My husband and I commented on how we loved them constantly in the winter months (North Carolina). We remodeled that room about 2 years before we moved and loved every minute spent in that bathroom those last 2 years. Our master bath was the coldest room in the house before we remodeled it - the heated floors made a huge difference. I am very cold-intolerant so those floors were amazing.

White subway tile is classic and timeless - it never goes out of style. White also helps to make a room look more expansive.

My 2 cents. Good luck with the reno!

Old 01-01-2017, 10:31 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,843,194 times
Quote:
Thanks so much for all the input. I love this place.

I do have a plan for curb appeal that includes removing the bushes and replacing with smaller ones. But for now I like how it hides things we keep there like my bike, the house for the 4 stray kittens we are now supporting (don't ask). In addition the hall bath has a standard tub/shower for kid bathing as I know that's important. This bathroom is for the grownups.

I think I'll talk to the contractor first about his design ideas. I like the gray tile idea, no 12" squares. Got it. What do you folks think of this, from the provided link? https://www.tileshop.com/product/ate...page=3&from=fn Ceramic or porcelain the way to go? Kind of like this vanity but worried that the top will clash with the floor. Belvedere 24"W Single Vanity - Bath Vanity - Bath Vanities - Single Bath Vanity - Bathroom Vanity Cabinets | HomeDecorators.com

As you have convinced me to do tile and to make the tub the focal point can I get back on budget with a fiberglass shower or would that kind of screw up the plan to creat a WOW! bathroom?
That tile is very specific to the early half of this decade. Having passed the midpoint of the decade by two years now, I'd say its design life has come and gone. On the other hand, subway tiles have been in style since they first built subways.

Old 01-02-2017, 06:00 AM

Here is a complete view from 3 angles, sorry for not straigtening up. Total is about 95 SF, a 60" tub will fit where the current tub is. First shot shows the tub and bay, it's a beautiful view as we live in the country but a tint may he a good idea, trees don't totally block the neighbor. Something I forgot to note was the need to replace the center window so they match, house came this way. So there's another $700, heated floors are not happening. The height to the start of the glass is 23", much lower than a stand alone pedastal, Japanese soaking, or the high side of a claw foot. Wouldn't a tub higher than the window look strange?

Other shot is looking the other way, laundry area is 34" deep by 59" long with the rough in. Wall between toilet and laundry room can be removed. This would be a large shower or a shower, second sink. Last shot is from the door, as you can see no room for a double sink as the toilet is maybe 2 1/2 feet to the left of the sink. Oddly enough right before you enter the bathroom, directly to the right in a little changing area full of closets, is another plumbing rough in for a second sink. So that would be another option, one I really didn't feel was necessary. I still don't get the 2 sinks, we like never brush our teeth at the exact same time.

=http://s47.photobucket.com/user/Davekn/media/IMG_20170102_073153_zpsmxf2a78g.jpg.html][/url]

Last edited by DaveinMtAiry; 01-02-2017 at 06:17 AM..

Old 01-02-2017, 06:16 AM

By the way I hate subway tiles. I don't want my bathroom looking like a bus station men's room. I'm sure I can find something neutral that we like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate