Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2017, 08:55 AM

9,497 posts, read 9,812,678 times

Advertisements

I recently filed a claim for roof replacement due to wind damage at one of my rental houses. I arranged for my adjuster to meet with the roofing contractor I had picked out. A few days later I get a check from my insurance company for what they estimate, minus my deductible.

For a few days, I don't hear from the contractor, so I reach out to them and they come over to show me some shingle samples...I pick out the one I want. Then silence.

About a week after that (today), I get a call from my tenant that there were men on the roof ripping off shingles.

The contractor never told me of a date, never sent me a quote and never received any written permission from me to start work. When I talked to them prior to this, they had told me they are usually very close to the adjusters estimate and that I wouldn't have to pay the "full deductible". But never received a firm number.

The contractor has a good reputation and is doing quite a bit of work around me (we had an F1 tornado). I believe one of the owners actually lives in my neighborhood.

I left a voicemail for them to call me.

Just wondering what my recourse is here. I don't have a problem paying them around the cost of the insurance payment (about $5k), but much more than that I may have an issue.

The house is 2300 sf, two story. One layer of shingles to be removed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2017, 09:00 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
I arranged for my adjuster to meet with the roofing contractor I had picked out.
A few days later I get a check from my insurance company for what they estimate, minus my deductible.

they come over to show me some shingle samples...I pick out the one I want.
About a week after that (today), I get a call from my tenant that there were men on the roof ripping off shingles.

The contractor never told me of a date,
The contractor has a good reputation and is doing quite a bit of work around me

Just wondering what my recourse is here.
Recourse for what? Being impolite?

As to the professionalism of a formal contract and notice of start dates etc...
Odds are YOUR AGENT (or the adjuster) is responsible for the breakdown in communication

Old 01-30-2017, 09:05 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,806,338 times
If they are a reputable roofing company, they'll only charge you that check you received. That's how insurance work is paid out. If it's more, you get to file a supplement and insurance will pay it.

Old 01-30-2017, 09:12 AM

9,497 posts, read 9,812,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Recourse for what? Being impolite?

As to the professionalism of a formal contract and notice of start dates etc...
Odds are YOUR AGENT (or the adjuster) is responsible for the breakdown in communication
Recourse may have not been the best word to use. Just worried that if they come back saying the cost is much more than our verbal estimate (which was "very close to what the insurance company will estimate").

I fully intend to pay them for their work, but feel that if it was more involved that they should have let me know before they started the work.

The insurance company is done (unless I suppose they find hidden damage). This is USAA, so you really don't have a local agent.

Plus since I didn't have a quote, I could not shop around.

Old 01-30-2017, 09:47 AM

13,131 posts, read 20,984,674 times
When you "selected" a vendor and had them communicate directly with the insurance adjuster and carrier, that's where the mistake was made. You need to be on the phone to USAA.

Old 01-30-2017, 09:47 AM

9,359 posts, read 14,099,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
If they are a reputable roofing company, they'll only charge you that check you received. That's how insurance work is paid out. If it's more, you get to file a supplement and insurance will pay it.
If you had an F1 just be happy someone is fixing you up so quickly! The above quote is correct, you are covered. And as for shopping around, just try finding another guy willing to dicker on the price after a catastrophe.

Old 01-30-2017, 12:21 PM

1,559 posts, read 2,150,444 times
Did you sign any sort of contract with this roofer? I've come across many "storm chaser" roofing companies here in Florida that will inspect your roof and convince you that insurance will pay for the roof (minus the deductible). They make you sign a contract which mandates that you work specifically with said roofer should the insurance company approve the claim. If insurance declines, you can bid out the roofing job and get quotes from other roofers.

In my case, there was something called an "assignment of benefits" (AOB) on the contract which allowed the roofer to directly contact the insurance company to obtain funds. I did more research upon signing and learned that AOBs are a very big red flag here in Florida when it comes to roofers. If the roofer fails to pay their sub contractors or suppliers, they (subs and suppliers) can place a lien on our home. Luckily, there's a state mandated "3 day right to cancel" so I cancelled the contract that very same day. I know a neighbor that's going through the lien mess right now...

AOBs basically allows the roofer to charge the insurance company the maximum amount they (insurance company) would pay for the type/size of roof you have. They hire sub contractors with little to no experience to skim on labor and pocket the rest. They may provide you legitimate basic shingles but if installed incorrectly, they will last only 5-7 years. You may be happy with the roof in the beginning but when it begins to falter later on due to poor installation, the roofer will more than likely be gone.

I spoke to a legitimate roofer in the area who has been in business for over 30 years and he told me that these adjusters will push through a claim approval for as little as $200 under the table. No wonder our insurance premium here in Florida is so damn expensive....

Old 01-30-2017, 01:56 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,733,435 times
First, An insurance company and an adjuster CAN NOT authorize work on your home without your consent! You should have signed a contract with the company before they started any type of work.

Second, You get paid for a claim based on what the insurance adjuster thinks the damage will cost NOT what your estimate is for. They should be very close if the roofer is reputable. If the work ends up being way more, they will need to prove to the insurance company why that is. Depending on what the adjuster thinks they may or may not pay more. An insurance company is not going to pay more than what it should cost to be fixed.

Third, if they tear off the whole roof it will most likely cost more than $5k for a new roof on a home that's 2300 sq ft. You better keep calling until you get a hold of the owner of the roofing company!!

Last edited by CGab; 01-30-2017 at 02:30 PM..

Old 02-02-2017, 06:28 PM

4,566 posts, read 10,654,191 times
If it were me I would want a written quote, immediately. I dont care if its written on a napkin. Then call the insurance company and get the claim to them.

Old 02-03-2017, 10:31 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,125,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Putski View Post
Did you sign any sort of contract with this roofer? I've come across many "storm chaser" roofing companies here in Florida that will inspect your roof and convince you that insurance will pay for the roof (minus the deductible). They make you sign a contract which mandates that you work specifically with said roofer should the insurance company approve the claim. If insurance declines, you can bid out the roofing job and get quotes from other roofers.

In my case, there was something called an "assignment of benefits" (AOB) on the contract which allowed the roofer to directly contact the insurance company to obtain funds. I did more research upon signing and learned that AOBs are a very big red flag here in Florida when it comes to roofers. If the roofer fails to pay their sub contractors or suppliers, they (subs and suppliers) can place a lien on our home. Luckily, there's a state mandated "3 day right to cancel" so I cancelled the contract that very same day. I know a neighbor that's going through the lien mess right now...

AOBs basically allows the roofer to charge the insurance company the maximum amount they (insurance company) would pay for the type/size of roof you have. They hire sub contractors with little to no experience to skim on labor and pocket the rest. They may provide you legitimate basic shingles but if installed incorrectly, they will last only 5-7 years. You may be happy with the roof in the beginning but when it begins to falter later on due to poor installation, the roofer will more than likely be gone.

I spoke to a legitimate roofer in the area who has been in business for over 30 years and he told me that these adjusters will push through a claim approval for as little as $200 under the table. No wonder our insurance premium here in Florida is so damn expensive....

Quite frankly:

This is BS.

I was a (flood) insurance adjuster and while we can help get suppliments and such approved, but not only are we specifically unable to "push through" what you claim we are forbidden from making recomendations.

Your "source" (if he exists) doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground when it comes to insurance.

Op: get EXACTLY what you want in writing, and since they don't need to have your signature (obviously) to start work...
Don't sign anything and have it looked over by your agent, adjuster (not usual services, but I've done it a few times) or lawyer to look at it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate