Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2017, 09:16 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,043,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joliefille View Post
My bad. I should have guessed this board would be filled with realtors eager to protect themselves and their commissions.

We can drop her after 3 months. Why should I pay her 30K for doing nothing to sell my house to my friend?
Because you said you would? Is your word worth anything? In other news, you might want her to handle the transaction in any case. Is your buyer even qualified? Will there be home inspection issues to be negotiated? Are there financing issues to be worked out?. Friends buying houses from friends can be a nightmare. If the friend does an appraisal, which the friend's lawyer will probably recommend, are you prepared to deal with a lower number than your sale price? Million other things. The commission is not earned from finding the buyer, it is earned for CLOSING THE DEAL. Most of that comes after finding the buyer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2017, 09:28 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,836,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joliefille View Post
My bad. I should have guessed this board would be filled with realtors eager to protect themselves and their commissions.

We can drop her after 3 months. Why should I pay her 30K for doing nothing to sell my house to my friend?
This, in itself, is evidence of your intent to violate the contract you signed. Don't be surprised if fraud later enters into a legal discussion regarding your pre-planned action.

Old 02-07-2017, 09:42 AM

8,574 posts, read 12,414,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
OP is an interesting person.
And I thought I was cheap!

Old 02-07-2017, 10:26 AM

346 posts, read 551,021 times
Can OP tell her friend: "Hey, friend, if the house doesn't sell after 3 months listing period is over, I'll sell it to you as a FSBO."
?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
This, in itself, is evidence of your intent to violate the contract you signed. Don't be surprised if fraud later enters into a legal discussion regarding your pre-planned action.

Old 02-07-2017, 10:38 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,814,092 times
And then watch the friend not want to pay the price the OP wants and then ...

Old 02-07-2017, 10:59 AM

15,252 posts, read 12,967,886 times
Quote:
Wow. The bit about using restaurant napkins to wipe with has to be a joke.

But in case it isn't, I guess she's found a new use for the contract she signed with her agent.

Old 02-07-2017, 11:17 AM

4,514 posts, read 2,524,730 times
If your contract states you owe commissions, then you owe them.
If you sell to friend during period and don't pay commissions you risk being sued.
If you tell friend to wait 3 months, but agent gets an offer before then, and you accept it, you risk being sued by friend. If you turn down a full price offer with no contingencies that agent presents you most likely owe commission to agent since most real estate contracts are set up to pay agent for doing their job bringing you asking price. If you turn down an agent's offer, you risk having your friends offer less or not qualify, and now you've just screwed yourself out of a sale.
Talk to your agent, and tell them the situation. Ask if they'd handle the deal for a reduced commission since you found buyer. Be honest and a person of their word, not someone that is trying to screw someone else due to being greedy.

Old 02-07-2017, 12:36 PM

953 posts, read 843,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Wow. The bit about using restaurant napkins to wipe with has to be a joke.
Any resulting taco burns in delicate areas must be nasty ... try explaining those to an emergency room doctor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
But in case it isn't, I guess she's found a new use for the contract she signed with her agent.
Now we can all appreciate the old saying ... "It's not worth the paper it's printed on."

Old 02-07-2017, 01:51 PM

25,961 posts, read 22,126,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
All it takes is talking a little too much, more like bragging.............

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottednikes View Post
If your contract states you owe commissions, then you owe them.
If you sell to friend during period and don't pay commissions you risk being sued.
If you tell friend to wait 3 months, but agent gets an offer before then, and you accept it, you risk being sued by friend. If you turn down a full price offer with no contingencies that agent presents you most likely owe commission to agent since most real estate contracts are set up to pay agent for doing their job bringing you asking price. If you turn down an agent's offer, you risk having your friends offer less or not qualify, and now you've just screwed yourself out of a sale.
Talk to your agent, and tell them the situation. Ask if they'd handle the deal for a reduced commission since you found buyer. Be honest and a person of their word, not someone that is trying to screw someone else due to being greedy.
I think honesty is the best policy, but then again, we are talking about someone that wants to backout of a contract that they signed and when brought to their attention, attack everyone that has responded about the contract relationship between a seller and an agent.

Maybe this is as much of a spoof as the other quoted comments from the OP on "other" subjects and if not, that constant burning "down there" from the taco sauce would probably cause many of us to be irritable!

Old 02-07-2017, 01:58 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times
Quote:
Huh.

You know, things like that should be mandatory disclosures before a person signs a contract with anyone, so they know what they are getting into. People who take cost cutting to such an extreme are apparently likely to assume they can ignore the contractual provisions they agreed to, as long as they save money by doing so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate