Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 04:02 PM

20 posts, read 29,492 times

Advertisements

On the day of my home inspection, I discovered that the house that I'm buying is occupied by the seller's son. Apparently she bought the house for him and he can no longer make payments so she is selling the house. They are at odds with each other. He has been cooperating with the selling of the home up to this point, letting us in for my due diligence inspections but he is ANGRY at his mother and she seems to be afraid of him.

My due diligence is up on March 2. My closing date is scheduled for March 10th.

I have so many questions and hardly any answers from my RE agent about this situation.

I am angry because no one seems to care that I am buying a house that someone is living in that may not be gone by March 10th and then I am stuck having to evict. That is NOT an option for me. I want no parts of that.

Should I withdraw my offer if the son is not gone by March 2nd? or can I back out if he is not gone by closing? Would this be a breach of contract by the seller?

She never disclosed any of this information until the day of my inspection 5 days ago!!!!

This is my dream home and now I am faced with this situation. Someone please advise. I don't know what to do!!!!!

I live in NC by the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2017, 04:09 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,937,102 times
The son or evidence of anyone living there was not visible when you looked at the property?

regardless... sonny boy has to pack up and get out. TODAY.
Not Saturday. Not by closing day. TODAY. Even at 8PM on a Tuesday.
packed up and gone.

If/When that is accomplished THEN you can return for the preclosing inspection.
If it passes... then go to closing.

Why isn't your agent saying this to you and to the SELLER?

Old 02-21-2017, 04:53 PM

3,720 posts, read 9,996,169 times
First, read your contract. Ours states that tenants have to vacate 5 days prior to close of escrow. Does yours have a provision? I don't think you can demand anything outside what the contract states. However, I would certainly NOT proceed to closing until the home is vacant.

Did you ask your agent? Or a lawyer?

Old 02-21-2017, 05:08 PM

3,607 posts, read 7,917,540 times
> First, read your contract.

Ditto. Contracts I have seen require that the premises be delivered in broom-clean condition. You should have a final walk-through before closing. If a resident is in place, the premises are not broom-clean and you should not close.

(In SOME states apparently it is not unusual for occupants to vacate after closing. You haven't said what state you are in).

I would send a firm message to the seller's agent through your agent.

Old 02-21-2017, 05:38 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,750,660 times
Do not close if the son or his belongings are in the house when you do the final walk thru, make sure you get your earnest money back too. If he is not there and his belongings are not make sure that you change the locks as soon as you can, you don't want him sneaking back in and saying he lives there, if he breaks in after the closing have him arrested. Good luck.

Old 02-21-2017, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
The son or evidence of anyone living there was not visible when you looked at the property?

regardless... sonny boy has to pack up and get out. TODAY.
Not Saturday. Not by closing day. TODAY. Even at 8PM on a Tuesday.
packed up and gone.

If/When that is accomplished THEN you can return for the preclosing inspection.
If it passes... then go to closing.

Why isn't your agent saying this to you and to the SELLER?

Thanks for replying. Yes it was evident that someone was living there, but up until my inspection 5 days ago, my RE agent and I were under the impression that it was the seller living there since her listing agent hadn't said anything otherwise. Sometimes people are still living in the home that they are trying to sell so that didn't throw up any red flags.

My agent is in communication with the seller's agent but they aren't returning her calls.

Something is just fishy about this whole situation.

Old 02-21-2017, 10:57 PM

Thanks to everyone that has offered up a solution on this situation.

During my inspection, the seller and I exchanged numbers so I plan to call her in the morning and gently but firmly tell her that if she wants this deal to go thru, her son needs to be gone by the end of the month.

I will look over my contract to see what it says about my final walk thru and the expectations of the seller at that time.

I'll keep everyone updated.

Old 02-21-2017, 11:52 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,231,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpiogirl_78 View Post
Thanks to everyone that has offered up a solution on this situation.

During my inspection, the seller and I exchanged numbers so I plan to call her in the morning and gently but firmly tell her that if she wants this deal to go thru, her son needs to be gone by the end of the month.

I will look over my contract to see what it says about my final walk thru and the expectations of the seller at that time.

I'll keep everyone updated.
I would seriously question this entire deal. Because:

1)why was the seller even present at your inspection. Seriously inappropriate. It should have just been you, your inspector, and your agent.

2)why are you talking directly to the seller?? It is neither your interest or the seller's to talk directly to each other...that's why you have all these other people like brokers and agents. Talking directly to each other runs the risk that you will disclose information to the other party that they have no business knowing and which may give them leverage to kill or renegotiate the deal.

3)has your agent (or you) not informed your mortgage broker about this? Because the presence of a tenant will almost certainly invalidate your loan application. I guarantee you signed paperwork stating that you intended to live in this home and not rent it as income property---because the loan approval criteria for loans for rental property and the forms that go with it are completely different. Even if you don't intend to be a landlord, and even if the son isn't paying rent....it's still income property if you aren't living there.

4)where the heck is your attorney in all of this? After you make an offer, your RE agent is there to guide you but really the work is then in the hands of your attorney and your broker. Your attorney should be advising you on whether or not your contract is even still valid.

It doesn't sound like to me that you are getting good advice from anyone on your team. If it were me, I'd be looking not only to walk away from this property, but also to find a new agent, broker, and attorney! A decent attorney should be able to get you your earnest money back too.

Last edited by MarianRavenwood; 02-22-2017 at 12:00 AM..

Old 02-22-2017, 01:53 AM

1,009 posts, read 1,571,171 times
I'd talk to your attorney about getting the guy out ASAP.
And then have the seller pay for another home inspection.

People are weird, and my fear would be that you'd have the home inspection, and then he'd do something to the home afterward out of retaliation for having to leave. Create a water leak, or something similar.

Old 02-22-2017, 04:35 AM

43,275 posts, read 77,073,002 times
This is really some unhelpful input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarianRavenwood View Post
I would seriously question this entire deal. Because:

1)why was the seller even present at your inspection. Seriously inappropriate. It should have just been you, your inspector, and your agent.
Not at all material. It happens.

Quote:
2)why are you talking directly to the seller?? It is neither your interest or the seller's to talk directly to each other...that's why you have all these other people like brokers and agents. Talking directly to each other runs the risk that you will disclose information to the other party that they have no business knowing and which may give them leverage to kill or renegotiate the deal.
Why? Because she had the opportunity to and wanted to.
It is extremely difficult for a seller to "kill a deal" when a buyer is proceeding in good faith effort towards closing.

Quote:
3)has your agent (or you) not informed your mortgage broker about this? Because the presence of a tenant will almost certainly invalidate your loan application. I guarantee you signed paperwork stating that you intended to live in this home and not rent it as income property---because the loan approval criteria for loans for rental property and the forms that go with it are completely different. Even if you don't intend to be a landlord, and even if the son isn't paying rent....it's still income property if you aren't living there.
Overreaction to a common situation. Have you seen a written lease? I haven't and the OP does not mention one.
This is a very fixable situation.

Quote:
4)where the heck is your attorney in all of this? After you make an offer, your RE agent is there to guide you but really the work is then in the hands of your attorney and your broker. Your attorney should be advising you on whether or not your contract is even still valid.
This is agent level work, as described by the OP. The attorney is there to handle funds in trust, assure insurable and marketable title, and to record the deed.

Quote:
It doesn't sound like to me that you are getting good advice from anyone on your team. If it were me, I'd be looking not only to walk away from this property, but also to find a new agent, broker, and attorney! A decent attorney should be able to get you your earnest money back too.
Complete and unnecessary overreaction to the situation.
Some guy is living in the house. The OP wants to sort that out.
the situation does not alter the location of the property, design, or that it is the OP's "dream home."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate