Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 03:09 PM

43,299 posts, read 77,129,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
I haven't yet seen that the OP has actually signed an agreement with an agent yet, or only has agent picked out but not yet signed. Perhaps the OP would elaborate.
Third party elaboration:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
I have signed a listing agreement with an agent to sell my house but it is not on the market yet . ....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2017, 04:01 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,128,038 times
Thanks Mike!

Now we are squarely in the area of the seller trusting the judgement, skills and expertise of the agent they hired to represent them.

I'm just an investor, not a Realtor, but I can't imagine any real estate agent being okay with their client showing the house to a person or persons who are essentially unknown.

And worse, this is from my own experience, it is a very bad idea for the owner to be present during showings. It makes potential buyers uncomfortable, and seller may tell potential buyers things that are better left to seller's agent to answer.

It's clear to me that the only correct thing for the seller to do is (best) give interested parties contact info for their agent, or second best, jot it down and tell forward to agent. Myself, I'd just give the agent's contact info and buh bye!

There is another angle to this too. Just exactly who is that "interested" person? Maybe they are claiming to be in real estate but are actually interested in property theft and want to case your house to see if there's anything worth stealing.

I don't see any need to discuss this further, so this discussion will probably get a few dozen more replies!

Old 03-28-2017, 04:12 PM

5,046 posts, read 9,624,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
Normally I think the best of people and don't see agents as potential cons. In this case one sentence makes me question this agent that wants to show the house before it's live in the MLS. You said you informed this agent of the listing agreement, and s/he did not ask for the name/contact information of the listing agent. Real estate ethics 101--when a client/potential client informs you of a prior agency agreement, you immediately ask for the name of that other agent. This is even more important for a house being listed.

Sorry, I think this agent heard about a potential listing (from your relative) and decided to try to get the listing by lying about a "cash" buyer. When it comes time to close EVERY buyer has "cash." The source of that cash varies between personal funds and a lender's funds.
Yeah, thinking the same thing. Isn't there a code of ethics in LA among realtors?

On the other hand, in our area right now there are so many people wanting to get to homes before the general mls world knows about them. Sometimes kind of funny because several agents are cold calling and sending stuff out and some of the communities are abuzz with-what-is-this-new-thing-going-on-and-is-it-legal-and-what-do-they-really-want-from-us-and-do-we-need-to-call-the-police kind of thing.

Old 03-28-2017, 04:22 PM

I own multiple properties. I'm getting offers (junk mail) all the time. They download the county property tax records and send junk mail to everybody listed.

It's easy to figure out. Real estate agents don't get paid unless they have houses to sell or clients to show houses to. Some real estate agents are spammers, telemarketers or junk mailers.

I had one stupid real estate agent phone me and was either dumb or playing dumb about not knowing about telemarketing regulations and http://donotcall.gov -- I informed her she was breaking the law. She probably just went on and dialed the next phone number.

Old 03-28-2017, 04:30 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,463,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
I own multiple properties. I'm getting offers (junk mail) all the time. They download the county property tax records and send junk mail to everybody listed.

It's easy to figure out. Real estate agents don't get paid unless they have houses to sell or clients to show houses to. Some real estate agents are spammers, telemarketers or junk mailers.

I had one stupid real estate agent phone me and was either dumb or playing dumb about not knowing about telemarketing regulations and http://donotcall.gov -- I informed her she was breaking the law. She probably just went on and dialed the next phone number.
Yeah I know inventory is especially low now in my area so I'm sure agents and some investors are desperate for deals.

My agent has been in the business for nearly 40 years and says he sells about 160 or so homes a year . Spends a lot of money on marketing too .
The agent that I mentioned doesn't seem too established. It looked like she just had that one deal pending with her name on it .... didn't see online reviews for her or anything while my agent has hundreds of positive reviews .

Old 03-28-2017, 05:17 PM

You are very fortunate, with such a low inventory. I'm curious what the average DOM is for your market. I'm no real estate agent but 160 transactions per year sounds like an awesome performance! That's 3 closings/week!

I'm just curious, what is preventing you from going on the market now? Last minute fixes to make it show well?

I would just forget that agent you mentioned in your OP. When your agent lists you in the MLS I'm sure you'll get good results. The average DOM is the best clue how hot your market is.

Old 03-28-2017, 05:21 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,667,145 times
Quote:
I have signed a listing agreement with an agent to sell my house but it is not on the market yet . A relative had mentioned to an agent that I was selling my home.
i have been in contact with this agent the past couple days and today she said she had a buyer that wants to look at the home .

is it a bad idea to meet with them? I don't believe it would go against my contract since it's my home right and I should have the right to show it to whoever I want ?

Of course my listing agent would still get their commission if this buyer did end up buying the property .

I'm thinking they will probably try to low ball but maybe worth a shot to see.

Home does need work but I'm debating how much work is worth doing .
Just met with a stager my listing agent works with ( he pays for her services )
and some of the things suggested seemed to seemed like they could add up a lot . I know of course it'll be my choice of what I want to do though.
Oh, good lord, why on earth did you sign with an agent in the first place, and are still window shopping for an agent? To be honest, the agent your relative talked to would be considered unethical to be contacting you since they know you have already listed with another agent. An ethical agent, would, the minute they discovered that you were listed with another agent, ask for your agent's contact information and work through them from now on, not try to weasel in the backdoor.

Practice this line over and over again: "I'd love for you to show my home -- here is my agent's contact information, please coordinate a showing with them." The whole idea of an agent is to have someone to represent you, and provide a layer of expertise that you are lacking in the marketing and selling of the home.

Old 03-28-2017, 05:26 PM

Lovehound's rule on Realtors: find a good one, one with a lot of experience and good performance, then follow their advice. If you have any questions, just ask them what to do, then do it. Instead of posting on C-D you should have just called your agent.

The only advice your agent can't tell you is when to take any specific offer. They can tell you the benefits and problems, but only you can make the final decision to accept or reject offers, or counter-offer (where your agent can advise you on various strategies).

Old 03-28-2017, 06:46 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,219,510 times
Quote:
My last message to the buyers agent was that the home is not listed yet and that I will let them know once it's listed .

They messaged that it doesn't have to be listed and that their clients are all cash buyers and if they interested I wouldn't want to miss out .

Thank you for the insight and advice all
you are being played, and you're walking headlong into it

Old 03-28-2017, 06:51 PM

1,884 posts, read 3,034,539 times
If you are actually in LA, its such a hot market, you will not need to do any 'staging' upgrades to the property if you do not want to.

And yes, realtors will try to get in before the listing goes public as they have way more buyers than houses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate