Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 08:30 AM

3,546 posts, read 3,116,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post

I'd be reluctant to do repairs that were obvious when the buyer wrote the offer, or repairs that would raise your home's condition above the level of comparable properties. If the comps are of similar age & condition, then flooring would be a no. If you're subsidizing the buyer's costs & the repairs aren't required for financing, the answer would be no.
I tend to agree with this.

The buyers have already invested time and money for the inspection, so something like the hardwood floors isn't going to squelch the deal. My opinion, of course. The way I see it, if something they can easily see, such as hardwood floors, were a deal killer, they wouldn't have made the offer in the first place. So I'd say no to the floor refinishing (assuming you are willing/able to wait for the next buyer in case it actually does turn into a deal breaker).

Termite damage needs repair, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2017, 09:48 AM

3,608 posts, read 7,924,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
What you're suggesting is negotiating with yourself - it might be worthwhile if the property was overpriced, but with an offer in-hand, it likely isn't overpriced. It's no different than a buyer asking, "what's the lowest you'll go", then asking for even more off that number. There's no advantage to a seller to state the lowest they'll go off the bat.

Tactically, asking for repairs that were *obvious* at the time the offer was written is a shot-over-the-bow from a buyer who is pushing the limits of reasonable/fair.. Buyers will attempt this even if they have no negotiating "power", and if they don't have real negotiating power, it's best to nip it in the bud. If they could see the issue before they wrote the offer, they were willing to pay that price for the property with that "defect" , and this is just an attempt to get a /second/ bite at the apple.

The purpose of an inspection is to find defects that weren't obvious, not to open a second round of price negotiations & demand a "perfect" house for the price of the imperfect comparable properties.
It doesn't matter what's "right" but how strong your negotiating position is. Can the buyer walk if you don't agree? WILL he walk? Are there lots of houses out there for him to look at? Do you think there are lots of buyers? Are you in a hurry?

Old 04-10-2017, 10:05 AM

6,341 posts, read 14,689,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rational1 View Post
It doesn't matter what's "right" but how strong your negotiating position is. Can the buyer walk if you don't agree? WILL he walk? Are there lots of houses out there for him to look at? Do you think there are lots of buyers? Are you in a hurry?
You're assuming negotiating is necessary - and being "right" does have value. If a buyer isn't going to act in good faith at the beginning of the process, they'll continue to abuse the seller all the way through the deal, and likely even after the deal in a blue state like ny. Better to make them poop or relinquish the pot early in the process, so you can find a buyer that will act in good faith.

Old 04-10-2017, 11:36 AM

13,284 posts, read 8,458,170 times
Seller: disclose any defects.
Buyer: responsible for inspection .

The shady side is when sellers use "as is" to cover structural damage, heat/electrical ,liens,that can decline a mortgage.
Same too with a buyer trying to negotiate cosmetic features when full disclosure was listed.
Seller: safe and habitable.
Buyer: safe and habitable

Old 04-10-2017, 03:31 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,738,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrynyc View Post
My buyers did home inspection and found 2 spots outside with localized termite in fascia. They are requesting hardwood floors to be refinished because my french door entry way has some moisture that has discolored the entryway hardwood. Also, they want the garage side door and frame to be replaced since the sprinklers water damaged tgat doorway. Overall $5000 worth of work on an as-is contract...opinions.
Inspections are to fix what is not functional. I would agree to the termite problem and the garage door. As far as the hardwood floors go, NO they are just trying to get the floors redone for free! Being discolored is cosmetic. The floors can still be used. I would tell them NO on that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate