Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 08:25 AM

54 posts, read 182,762 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,
Well, we are still waiting for someone to come and look at our house. It's as clean as I think it's ever been! LOL! We lowered the price to 289K which is below the market in our area. We finally got the virtual tour done which is more like a virtual picture tour. I think it's nice though. What do you all think? MyCAAR.com MLS 449396

I'm not sure what else we can do at this point. I think our Realtor is great and she is working very hard for us. I respect all of you Realtors out there. You have a very hard job in this market. It's crazy because every week our flyers are all gone by the sign but no one has called for a showing. We are in a rural area so I guess that might have something to do with it. We are right in between two major cities though. Richmond, VA and Charlottesville, VA.

Hopefully someone comes soon.

Thanks for letting me ramble. Let me know what you all think of the house now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2008, 09:41 AM

621 posts, read 3,206,694 times
It's a very nice home. I live up here in NOVA and wish I could get a home for that price!!!

IMO though, if you want to sell as quick as you can, I would paint neutrals through the house. You have a lot of color going on there. Take down the boarder in the DR. Get rid of the foosball (sp?) table-it would really open up the space. Those are my thoughts. The biggest turn off for me would be the paint colors. Although I do love the color under the island and in the sitting room of the kitchen-what color is it??

Good Luck!!

Old 03-07-2008, 10:18 AM

1,408 posts, read 8,022,785 times
hubby and I just bought in james city county. i really like your house too (including the colors but i LOVE color). a few things i would do is take out the TV (it's blocking those beautiful windows and because it's so large it outshines your fireplace). i had to remove my tv from my living room (house on the market in massachusetts) and it's tough not being able to watch my tv in there but my (and yours) house is now on the market and it needs to shine so if that means suffering a little (no tv) then so be it. also i would take down all that stuff on top of your kitchen cabinets. i agree with the border (gotta go - it does nothing to help that room) also get rid of the plant thing in the corner and the little table in the corner (help open the space up), pick up toys in bedroom, foozball table does have to go and lastly candles on bed posts (they look odd in the pictures). good luck!!!!!

Old 03-07-2008, 10:38 AM

1,122 posts, read 4,109,921 times
Hope you get showings and sell soon :-)

Onto the critique: Most virtual tours I've seen have panoramic views, but using stills is OK, if they're good. Too many of your photos are crooked, or taken at bad angles (accentuating rooms as being small/narrow), and there is some really bad use of flash. This can be avoided, or fixed with simply post-processing software - free on the net!

Taking good photos isn't rocket science, but it does require a good critical eye and a reasonably good camera. Any chance you can provide replacement photos? Perhaps you even have family members or friends who take good photos. I think it would help a lot!

Also you would benefit from better arrangement of furniture, accentuating things like the very nice fireplace, and minimizing things like the stuff in the children's bedroom, all the bottles above the kitchen cabinets, and the TV in the living room should definitely not be blocking your 3 pretty windows. I think some simple re-arranging in your LR/DR would help tremendously. You have nice pieces, but the way they are arranged, in the photos everything looks cramped and gives the reader the feeling that the house is just too small. And are those candles on the posts of the 4-poster bed? If so, remove them and either put them away or put them elsewhere, where people expect to see candles

I think you have a nice house but it is not presented to buyers in the most attractive and persuasive way. This is one situation where you could really get a huge boost and sell far more quickly if you utilized the services of a professional stager. Or, again, if you have a family member or friend who has made their own home exquisite, stand back and give them free rein to try some things first.

Good luck!

Old 03-07-2008, 11:14 AM

54 posts, read 182,762 times
Default Holy Crap!

So, first I want to thank everyone for their thoughts. I wrote this post this morning, checked the site here to see what everyones thoughts were, responded to msjack, phone rang, my realtor says we got an offer for 285K from a family living in Germany and relocating to the area!!!! WHAT!!! They made an offer without even coming here. Their Realtor is coming out this afternoon to look at the house for them. I am so excited and freaking out right now. No showing and a perfect offer!!! I guess the tour wasn't too bad after all. I guess my house is just that good. I always knew it was. This is just craziness. My parents sold their house 3 months ago to a family that saw their house online and sent them an offer. The first time the family saw the house was the day before closing! They must have rubbed the luck off on us!! Anyway, thanks for all of the advice.

Now, just to make it all the way through closing. Send good vibes our way.

Last edited by Kdway; 03-07-2008 at 11:16 AM.. Reason: personal info

Old 03-07-2008, 11:21 AM

1,408 posts, read 8,022,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdway View Post
So, first I want to thank everyone for their thoughts. I wrote this post this morning, checked the site here to see what everyones thoughts were, responded to msjack, phone rang, my realtor says we got an offer for 285K from a family living in Germany and relocating to the area!!!! WHAT!!! They made an offer without even coming here. Their Realtor is coming out this afternoon to look at the house for them. I am so excited and freaking out right now. No showing and a perfect offer!!! I guess the tour wasn't too bad after all. I guess my house is just that good. I always knew it was. This is just craziness. My parents sold their house 3 months ago to a family that saw their house online and sent them an offer. The first time the family saw the house was the day before closing! They must have rubbed the luck off on us!! Anyway, thanks for all of the advice.

Now, just to make it all the way through closing. Send good vibes our way.
WOW! with a capital W. That is wonderful for you and your family!!!!! good vibes coming to you.

Old 03-07-2008, 11:33 AM

621 posts, read 3,206,694 times
Congratulations!!!! That's really amazing....that doesn't happen to often!! You already have good vibes for that to happen but we are sending more your way.....

Old 03-07-2008, 01:59 PM

4,097 posts, read 11,481,166 times
In the very early 80s when condos in our area were not selling and the mortgage market was rotten, we took a chance and listed at Xmas time no less. No one would be more unlikely to sell. Sold our condo in 3 days. Never had even looked for somewhere to live and she wanted it in one week(paying cash). Well, that was a learning experience.

Best to you.

Old 03-07-2008, 02:13 PM

28,227 posts, read 21,853,374 times
Double WOW Kdway-best of luck.

Old 03-08-2008, 03:58 AM

150 posts, read 725,997 times
Wow that is great - the very best of luck to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate