Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 01:50 PM

15,220 posts, read 10,325,155 times

Advertisements

Yes I do. For example I am looking at a townhouse that I believe is overpriced based on it's age, location and a few other factors. I want him to tell me if he believes it is definitely overpriced and won't appraise for what the owners are asking which saves me from paying for the appraisal. I would want him to tell me a murder had occurred in a place I was considering or if the neighborhood seems to be going down in value.

If they can't give you some advice and help you along in the process then we could all buy FSBO's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2017, 02:02 PM

1,020 posts, read 809,581 times
I guess I've been lucky with realtors like Piney Creek mentioned, who can give you advice that you may need to read between the lines to get. I have a totally blunt, completely upfront personality IRL & I will say exactly what I mean. Which can be off putting to some realtors, but many find it refreshing & I find that they are more willing to be open with me.

Of course I want them to tell me everything they know & give me advice, that's their job. With the understanding that the decision is ours.

Old 04-24-2017, 03:09 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,846,929 times
I am not, never have been, and have no family members who are realtors. I would never buy or sell without one! I want one who will tell me what they legally can and steer me to info I should know if they can't tell me upfront. I have never had a problem with any of the houses I have bought for my own use.

Old 04-24-2017, 05:48 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,742,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvo Driver View Post
Always listen to the opinion & advice of a professional realtor. Always.

You don't have to follow said advice, but you sure should be aware of it!

I say this about life in general! Always listen to someone's advice. Whether you take it or not is up to you, but always listen and acknowledge what someone has to say!

Old 04-24-2017, 06:35 PM

3,248 posts, read 2,458,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lae60 View Post

I do not want a realtor to say "there is nothing wrong with this property--it has everything on your list, what do you want to offer on it?".

That did happen with me with one realtor, and the problem was the neighbor started in about children as soon as we pulled up. Nope, not living next to that person. Then the realtor argued that any house could have neighbors like that, we do not know all of them from one visit and they could change anyway. Well, sure, but I won't buy a property knowing up front that the neighbor is going to be difficult.
Yeah when I was listing my last property it sat for a bit. I considered changing agents and interviewed a few. One of them tried to scare me into listing with him saying that if I didn't I would "never ever" sell my place. Of course, he wanted more commission than my current agent. His advice? "Paint it grey." It already was. I pointed that out. "We have a specific shade. Its called Cracked Ice. My painter can do it for $3K." I said, "So you want me to repaint my light grey property with a different shade of light grey and give your contractor $3K? No thank you."

When I was buying years ago I was at an open house. I liked it, and signed in. I mentioned that I liked it to the agent. She went nuts and talked to me for an hour. Told me her whole life story. She hounded me for days telling me "now is the time to put in an offer" and sending me disclosures. She gave me all kinds of guidance I didn't ask for.

So though I really do value sage wisdom from my professional realtor, there are some real doozies out there.

Old 04-24-2017, 07:32 PM

14,495 posts, read 12,134,812 times
We specialize in farm and horse properties, so I educate about flood zones and quirks about the property, point out good or bad points about the barns, fencing, terrain, good or bad signs like wetland grasses, protected oak trees or pocket gophers. And I'll give an opinion about price and local market variables... But I realized real early in this career, that there is nothing less relevant than my opinion or taste in home design, architecture, or decorating. Sometimes I'm amazed at which places really catch the client's eye, and which don't.... and you know what? It really doesn't matter what I think.

Old 04-24-2017, 07:33 PM

3,248 posts, read 2,458,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
But I realized real early in this career, that there is nothing less relevant than my opinion or taste in home design, architecture, or decorating. Sometimes I'm amazed at which places really catch the client's eye, and which don't.... and you know what? It really doesn't matter what I think.
You sound like a wise woman!

Old 04-24-2017, 07:51 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,067,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
I have a realtor I have worked with on multiple properties. She is very very careful to be neutral until I wear her out with showings and indecision (sometimes this happens. Well let's face it. It happens often. I like looking at property.) Then she gets more frank and will make more pointed (but still professional) recommendations. She does not openly advocate, but after she gets frustrated enough with my back and forth she will sort of steer the conversation to a specific property.

I value this. I think she knows her stuff and she has not led me astray yet.

On my first property purchase, I worked with a very flashy and successful "team." I was a bit dazzled by them-- this was in NYC and they seemed to be "movers and shakers." I was talked into a co-op that I ended up losing money on. Come to find out, they got a much bigger commission for selling me that place rather than the one I really thought I wanted.

So, I ask the audience (and prepare for flaming from those who say realtors cannot legally advise this way) do you WANT your realtor to give any input, even subtle input, to your house hunt? Do you want them even to send you listings that you might like? Or do you prefer a totally neutral party who organizes showings and opens lock boxes? (And I am speaking here as a buyer-- of course a seller wants something different.)
I only want to hear answers to my questions.
Free unsolicited advice is worth what I pay for it.

Old 04-24-2017, 08:53 PM

730 posts, read 1,658,964 times
It depends on who (or whom) the realtor works for.

If the realtor works for the seller, their fiduciary responsibility is to the seller, if the realtor works for the buyer.......

If you are buying, get yourself an exclusive buyers broker and listen to them, as they work for you.

Old 04-25-2017, 07:42 AM

3,546 posts, read 3,118,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMetal View Post
I guess I've been lucky with realtors like Piney Creek mentioned, who can give you advice that you may need to read between the lines to get. I have a totally blunt, completely upfront personality IRL & I will say exactly what I mean. Which can be off putting to some realtors, but many find it refreshing & I find that they are more willing to be open with me.

Of course I want them to tell me everything they know & give me advice, that's their job. With the understanding that the decision is ours.
It all depends on the type of advice. If they're talking about physical aspects of a house or neighborhood or things like local petty crime, I prefer bluntness. Be crystal clear with what you're telling me.

But I'm happy to have a little subtlety if the advice has to do with neighbors and their personalities. Give me enough info that I know to look into it, but would rather not hear prejudices. Because human nature is a funny thing. Once a person goes down that road, it's hard for him to resist going on and on and on and on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate