Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2017, 01:05 PM

85 posts, read 333,057 times

Advertisements

I own and rent out a condo unit, and also serve on the condominium's governing Board. A few years ago, we changed the rules to prohibit smoking in common areas, including exclusive-use common areas such as patios. There has been recent discussion about amending the bylaws to prohibit smoking everywhere, including within individual units. This would approval by a super majority of unit owners. A number of owners said they would support this, because smoke can and does drift from one unit to another.

Has anyone here lived or owned in a community that passed (or unsuccessfully tried to pass) something like this? I am curious about any lessons learned.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2017, 01:41 PM

34,092 posts, read 83,000,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen n View Post
There has been recent discussion about amending the bylaws to prohibit tobacco smoking everywhere
Go for it!

Quote:
I am curious about any lessons learned.
I think it comes down to State law.

Old 04-23-2017, 02:12 PM

5,662 posts, read 10,747,431 times
I'd look into whether or not it would be binding on existing owners who don't vote for it. They might be grandfathered.

Old 04-23-2017, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
I'd look into whether or not it would be binding on existing owners who don't vote for it. They might be grandfathered.
Thanks. Yeah, we will take that into consideration and consult with our attorney
If we do have a grandfather provision, I still would like some type of requirement that owners who smoke need to take steps to avoid/minimize drifting smoke, such as installing air filtration systems, etc.

Old 04-23-2017, 03:01 PM

30,640 posts, read 18,242,637 times
My building prohibits smoking in the common areas, but individual units and balconies are fair game. This sucks as I like to have my balcony doors open for the breeze, but I'll have to smell my downstairs neighbor's smoking when she's out there a few times a day. Now, I think that prohibiting smoking within individual units would be going too far, but that's only as things apply to my building as building ventilation/construction makes sure that the smoke doesn't permeate the walls.

Old 04-23-2017, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
My building prohibits smoking in the common areas, but individual units and balconies are fair game. This sucks as I like to have my balcony doors open for the breeze, but I'll have to smell my downstairs neighbor's smoking when she's out there a few times a day. Now, I think that prohibiting smoking within individual units would be going too far, but that's only as things apply to my building as building ventilation/construction makes sure that the smoke doesn't permeate the walls.
Unfortunately, the buildings in my complex are constructed in such a way that smoke can and does drift into other units. For this reason, a number of owners said they would support on outright ban.

Old 04-23-2017, 05:48 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,219,950 times
I don't know the process of changing the by laws, but I do know that for my next home, likely to be a condo when I downsize in retirement, having a non-smoking building would be a huge selling point. Might be worth checking with some local real estate agents to see what they have to say in terms of how such a ban might affect value and ease of resale, as that info might help persuade people if it turns out that others besides me would consider it a positive feature.

Old 04-23-2017, 06:54 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,740,688 times
State law is a huge part and you need to consult your HOA management attorney to see if a ban is even legal. If it is allowed then you need the percentage of unit owner votes as specified in the bylaws to pass. Usually it's 3/4 of the homeowners (not renters, unit owners only).

Old 04-23-2017, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I don't know the process of changing the by laws, but I do know that for my next home, likely to be a condo when I downsize in retirement, having a non-smoking building would be a huge selling point. Might be worth checking with some local real estate agents to see what they have to say in terms of how such a ban might affect value and ease of resale, as that info might help persuade people if it turns out that others besides me would consider it a positive feature.
One of the unit owners is also a realtor, who has sold units in the complex, and says that enacting a smoking ban would only help improve our property values.

Old 04-23-2017, 07:15 PM

41,965 posts, read 75,217,462 times
Quote:
If we do have a grandfather provision, I still would like some type of requirement that owners who smoke need to take steps to avoid/minimize drifting smoke, such as installing air filtration systems, etc.
Quote:
Unfortunately, the buildings in my complex are constructed in such a way that smoke can and does drift into other units.
The proper thing to do, if a smoking ban is enacted and current owners grandfathered in, would be for the condo association to foot the bill for some kind of air filtration system, since it seems the units are poorly constructed in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate