Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2017, 03:12 PM

50 posts, read 314,102 times

Advertisements

What would it cost to prepare 5 acres of raw land for a mobile/manufactured home? (pour slab, bring electric, water/well septic/sewer, high speed internet, etc., up to the site?

Is this the most cost efficient way to approach this, or is it better to find a large lot already set up for a mobile or manufactured house?

Can anyone offer suggestions/information? Thank you and God bless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2017, 03:20 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Utilities can be upwards of 40,000 dollars. The slab can easily be 20,000. Permits wil add to the cost too. You could be looking at 60,000 without breathing hard

Find a lot that already has utilities ran

Old 05-28-2017, 03:23 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times
Go talk to a couple of the manufactured home dealers, about the cost of everything, all rolled in. They can give you the best numbers for their homes, in your area, and even go out and walk lots you are interested in, to give a good estimate of costs and feasibility.

Last edited by Diana Holbrook; 05-28-2017 at 03:32 PM..

Old 05-28-2017, 03:29 PM

3,607 posts, read 7,915,344 times
The cost of bringing in utilities will depend on where the nearest utilities are.

The cost of a well is unpredictable.

Some lots do not pass perc tests and cannot have septic systems.

If you are making an offer on raw land, it would be advisable to make the offer contingent on acceptable costs for all of the above.

Old 05-28-2017, 03:30 PM

645 posts, read 1,538,346 times
If you can find a lot that has electric/well/water/sewer/septic already done, that is the way to go... Kinda the holy grail for what you want to do. Drilling a well is not too bad, but if you have to dig a septic; boy that can be BIG $$$. Easy $15k and up, and if you need a sand mound, $$$$$. Big problem in my neck of the woods W.PA/N.E. OH, is the septic standards are pretty tough to pass new, but some grandfathering may play in an established setup, assuming it's OK.

Good luck.

Old 05-28-2017, 03:52 PM

50 posts, read 314,102 times
Thanks all,

How can I find a "lot that has electric/well/water/sewer/septic already done" (without getting an agent) since we are still just in the planning stage...

Old 05-28-2017, 04:18 PM

645 posts, read 1,538,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob043055 View Post
Thanks all,

How can I find a "lot that has electric/well/water/sewer/septic already done" (without getting an agent) since we are still just in the planning stage...
Many times, you will find a very run down trailer on a piece of property that is basically scrap, and folks want the land and the already run utilities. Some mobile home companies will tie in removal of this scrap trailer, and include this in say the block foundation, and other site prep costs. I have also seen where a home burned down, and the in place utilities were fine, ready to build/move in a trailer.

Old 05-28-2017, 06:26 PM

1,440 posts, read 4,415,461 times
I'll strongly agree with the suggestion of someone selling a lot with a dilapidated trailer already on it. You'd have what you need in place and tear down costs would be minimal. Many will take on a trailer for scrap and charge a few hundred to haul away the carcass.

However, you must be sure the septic will pass, that is indeed a big stumbling block almost anywhere. Make sure the water connection too is actually a real line, not a hose tied to the next trailer. Oh yes, I've seen that, in person.

There was a beautiful two acre lot I handled years ago for an estate, I mean beautiful. Sort of a hermit lived there and did much of his own work. Now I'm being serious here. They found the septic was actually just a series of pipes that ran way out into a unused section of the property, that explained the lush greenery there. The water line wasn't an actual water line, it too was a series of pipes and hoses connected to a family trailer on the next lot. They just tapped in and he paid their water bill.

Old 05-28-2017, 08:38 PM

6,768 posts, read 5,481,691 times
Rob: best advice: DON't do it, buy a house.

We owed a paid for trailer, outskirts city lot: $25k. Water connection to city water: $10k, Sewer connection {city sewer}: $10K. Electric: $5k if they didn't have to put pole in {they would}, $10 with pole. Slab: $3,400, we wanted it bigger than the 14x65 trailer, so it came out to $5,500. Moving trailer: $2,800, insurance: $350.
Total cost to move and set up:$63,650.
Instead we bought a 1948 updated 2 br/1ba ranch for $68K.

Found out later after the trailer was removed for scrap, it fell apart in the middle when moved. Added bonus to buying the house.

IF, big IF, you can find a lot already with services, as noted above, you might fare better. Getting a property without an agent and attorney and Title insurance, in my opinion, is stupid.

Moral: DON'T try to take shortcuts with your housing!

Old 05-28-2017, 09:33 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob043055 View Post
What would it cost to prepare 5 acres of raw land for a mobile/manufactured home? (pour slab, bring electric, water/well septic/sewer, high speed internet, etc., up to the site?

Is this the most cost efficient way to approach this, or is it better to find a large lot already set up for a mobile or manufactured house?

Can anyone offer suggestions/information? Thank you and God bless.
Depends on frankly where you are.

I think it cost me around 5 Grand (or was it twice that?) to get electricity out here.

The well was interesting because it could not draw from the shallow ground water, the Edwards (it is, among other things, under the Endangered Species Act) but had to go DEEPER to the next one. Basically, the cost of drilling a well around here, setting up the machinery and storage, runs easily 30 Grand and probably more than that.

Your comment of high speed internet really caught my eye. There is no cable internet out here because those companies set up that service by taking over the lines of other companies. Until there is a reason for them to put up the cash (ie, large pool of potential customers), forget it. Which left me with DSL and satellite. The DSL company is not that reputable (but now with what I have learned of the satellite company, maybe they are in comparison) so I went with satellite.

I pay around $75/month for decent speed and 5Gs of download anytime and 50Gs of download during off times. I don't do video and keep my usage down low.

Long story short, Toto, you aren't in Kansas anymore. If you are out in the country, don't expect it to be cheap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate