Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2017, 08:22 AM

24,498 posts, read 17,239,538 times

Advertisements

I have a relative that lives in a relatively quiet but tightly packed neighborhood by a lake.
His next door neighbor passed away at 90, her house went up for sale and everyones worst nightmare moved in.
He is yet to talk with the parents since they seem to be avoiding him but they have many kids that he suspects are foster kids and some seem to have developmental issues and they are causing problems.
There are a few that like to play with themselves while standing in the street, (they are old enough to know better), but worse is that this gang of kids have been going door to door testing them.

One neighbor reported that he came out of a back room to find the kids in his house and they pretended like they were looking for a friend.

The other night my relative was standing in his barn when the gang kids came up his driveway and he heard one of them say "lets try this one". He made his presence known and they ran off.

I wonder how long it will be before they start breaking into houses up and down the street? With Summer coming there will be windows and doors left opened for the cooling breeze.

He already has problems with people coming down and hanging out on his beach despite the no trespassing signs everywhere.

There is really nothing he can do except call the Police each time there is a problem and he is looking into getting a security system. He has a dog but it is too friendly to be a guard dog.

What would you do in this situation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2017, 08:43 AM

14,488 posts, read 12,121,454 times
I would put up a good fence with a gate and lock it... as the first thing. Cameras or other security system.... these are getting more affordable all the time, for good ones that are wireless and notify you immediately if someone is there.

If you really think it is a foster or other similar type of guardianship or custody situation there is probably licensing involved, and part of that licensing SHOULD be related to supervision, security and public safety. But you need to find out what kind of a situation it is.... perhaps actually talk to whoever is running the house, first.

Old 06-07-2017, 08:54 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,416,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
There are a few that like to play with themselves while standing in the street
One neighbor reported that he came out of a back room to find the kids in his house
He already has problems with people coming down and hanging out on his beach despite the no trespassing signs everywhere.
What would you do in this situation?
I would call the police and CPS.

Old 06-07-2017, 09:19 AM

2,136 posts, read 2,312,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
I would call the police and CPS.
And DYFS.

Old 06-07-2017, 10:12 AM

24,498 posts, read 17,239,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
I would put up a good fence with a gate and lock it... as the first thing. Cameras or other security system.... these are getting more affordable all the time, for good ones that are wireless and notify you immediately if someone is there.

If you really think it is a foster or other similar type of guardianship or custody situation there is probably licensing involved, and part of that licensing SHOULD be related to supervision, security and public safety. But you need to find out what kind of a situation it is.... perhaps actually talk to whoever is running the house, first.

He has a fenced in back yard so that can be locked up. The only thing the separates the 2 houses is a narrow street. The kids can come out the side door and be on his property in about 20 feet.

I think these people are going to be a major problem for everyone in that neighborhood. In just a few weeks the kids have proved that they are pretty much on their own and up to no good. It is going to get worse in a few weeks when school lets out for the summer.

I think the Police are going to get tired of coming down to address problems.

He is looking into a security system that will alert him on his phone. His other neighbor has that and he can watch his house in real time on his phone.

Old 06-07-2017, 10:14 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,416,576 times
The police have to do something about the children exposing themselves. Why hasn't that been addressed?

Old 06-07-2017, 10:34 AM

5,046 posts, read 9,624,436 times
Some foster care group home supervision is bad, partly because the social workers who inspect have a lot on their plate. Some are really well regulated. See who's in charge of the situation next door and complain. You need to be proactive and not deal with it when they abuse the nice dog, get in trouble in the lake and sue or harm your relative.

What they are doing sounds like escalating. And, obviously, they have no moral fear.

Old 06-07-2017, 11:15 AM

11,582 posts, read 6,738,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
The police have to do something about the children exposing themselves. Why hasn't that been addressed?

EXACTLY! I would call the police for loitering every time I saw them! Put up security cameras so if anything happens to your property you have proof of who did it!

Old 06-07-2017, 12:33 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,490,127 times
Sell.

Old 06-07-2017, 01:21 PM

5,046 posts, read 9,624,436 times
What do your other neighbors think? It would help if there were several people calling police and not just one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate