Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 08:07 PM

29 posts, read 29,372 times

Advertisements

Bought my first house for 30K

I currently have some family living there rent free, they take care of it and fix/replace anything that pops up. It's just a singlewide trailer on a half acre with a detached 3 car garage. I plan on selling the trailer and renting the lot/garage for 300-400/mo. It's been paid off for 10 years or so.

Second home was 170K, it's paid off and I use the shop/land for my hoarding of equipment, old vehicles and trailers. It has a 5 car shop and 5 acres in the mountains. Very private but close to town. The parents helped me pay off the last 50K and are going to retire in it. I can keep my stuff there and work on my projects!

My third home I still owe 250K on, it's my current residence. I put 20%down and I pay an extras 500 dollars each month.

My girlfriend is looking at purchasing her first home, I may rent the third house out since it's in a desireable location in Denver, I'm sure I could get 2400/mo out of it easily. I'm not sure if I want to rent it out to grad students or a family yet.

Probably will not be for quite awhile, the market in Denver is stupid right now, everytime my girlfriend looks at a house there's already 10-15 offers on it the first day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2017, 11:12 AM

8,840 posts, read 4,809,645 times
We've refinanced our current home four times now I think(lived here nine years). We're now two years into a 10-year mortgage at 2.375%.

Our son starts college in four years and my dream was to pay it off by then. But my husband's company just started offering a 401K so it makes more sense to try to max that out. I already max out mine and we were maxing his IRA and the amount we can deduct for state taxes on our son's 529.

I can't wait until the mortgage is paid off. And I'm in finance and should know better, especially as our interest rate is so low. But I still can't wait.

I'd rather sell and move to a smaller place once our son goes to college, but that will be an uphill battle with the husband. I absolutely love our home and neighborhood, but it's more space than we need.

Old 06-29-2017, 09:01 AM

277 posts, read 306,835 times
Yes! I know that shoveling more money into other investments would probably yield a greater return... but I love the idea of having no mortgage.

We pay 2x on principal and make bimonthly payments on our 30 year - will save 170k or so if we stick to it :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate