Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2017, 10:54 AM

32,028 posts, read 36,813,277 times

Advertisements

I had an agent approach me about one of our properties. I asked if he had a buyer or was just looking around and he replied that he was actually buying for himself. He wanted to know if his commission would be covered and I said, "If you're the buyer, you wouldn't be paying a commission to yourself, would you?

He said that he'd actually be buying it with his wife but to me that seems like the same thing.

He then said that if another agent brought them in as buyers that agent would be looking for a commission, and I said, "Yeah, but you are not that other agent."

In any event, is there a standard procedure in this situation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2017, 10:58 AM

40,953 posts, read 49,221,262 times
Builders will usually pay and if he buys a home in the MLS he will be paid but no there is no standard.

Just tell him you priced it with no agent involvement. You might lose him but you can sell to the next guy with no agent.

Old 08-10-2017, 11:04 AM

902 posts, read 864,039 times
This is standard real estate agent modus operandi. Offer him the property at a high enough price to cover "his commission".

Option 2: Laugh in his face.

He's out of his cotton picking mind. His behavior is far from shocking, however.

Old 08-10-2017, 11:32 AM

43,317 posts, read 77,165,481 times
"NET PROCEEDS TO SELLER" should be your focus.

If he wants to pay taxes on a portion of his contract price, let him have a commission as long as it does not impact "NET PROCEEDS TO SELLER."

Just keep your focus squarely on "NET PROCEEDS TO SELLER."

Old 08-10-2017, 11:37 AM

1,010 posts, read 4,913,545 times
I'm not sure why he would want a commission if he's buying it for himself -- it's better to get a good price on the property and not have to pay income taxes on the commission.

Old 08-10-2017, 11:50 AM

1,736 posts, read 2,894,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WendyK View Post
I'm not sure why he would want a commission if he's buying it for himself -- it's better to get a good price on the property and not have to pay income taxes on the commission.
he might intend to use some of the commission to put back into the property (furniture, flooring, etc)

Old 08-10-2017, 12:56 PM

1,835 posts, read 3,268,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
"NET PROCEEDS TO SELLER" should be your focus.

If he wants to pay taxes on a portion of his contract price, let him have a commission as long as it does not impact "NET PROCEEDS TO SELLER."

Just keep your focus squarely on "NET PROCEEDS TO SELLER."
I agree with you about the net proceeds to seller part, but why would he pay a tax on it? My understanding is that so long as the commission is used to reduce the price of the property and not taken as cash, then there is no tax on the commission.

Am I wrong here? Im not a tax guru, but I was under the impression this was commonplace.

Old 08-10-2017, 01:30 PM

32,028 posts, read 36,813,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WendyK View Post
I think his theory was that the commission would be paid by the seller (thereby reducing the price).

Old 08-10-2017, 01:35 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,820,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I think his theory was that the commission would be paid by the seller (thereby reducing the price).
This is how I bought all my houses. I negotiated a price, with commissions, and then took the commission amount and reduced the price of the home. It's very common in my area to do that.

Old 08-10-2017, 02:34 PM

40,953 posts, read 49,221,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marksmu View Post
I agree with you about the net proceeds to seller part, but why would he pay a tax on it? My understanding is that so long as the commission is used to reduce the price of the property and not taken as cash, then there is no tax on the commission.

Am I wrong here? Im not a tax guru, but I was under the impression this was commonplace.
This is correct. It could also help him lower the value for his property taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate