Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2017, 08:29 PM

8,574 posts, read 12,414,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I had an agent approach me about one of our properties.
Quote:
I think his theory was that the commission would be paid by the seller (thereby reducing the price).
So, is this a property that you own and are selling FSBO...or are you an agent and "one of our properties" refers to one of the properties that you have listed for sale?

If you're selling FSBO, it makes no sense for the agent to seek a commission. He just needs to focus on getting a lower price. Normally, an agent who is buying a property would use any commission to offset the sales price--so that the commission amount is not taxable. Either way, commission or no commission, the net effect is the same. You both need to be focused upon the net price.

If it's listed for sale, it's perfectly normal for an agent to receive a commission for representing himself. If the agent is not a broker, however, it's a bit more complicated since the commission may need to go through the agent's broker and the broker may want a piece of the action.

Last edited by jackmichigan; 08-10-2017 at 08:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2017, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
This is correct. It could also help him lower the value for his property taxes.
In my experience, when a commission is applied against the sales price the sales price remains the same but the amount is credited against the amount needed for closing. Therefore, at least in all the transactions I've handled, it doesn't help in actually reducing the reported sales price so it doesn't really help with property taxes. That's another reason why, if it's a FSBO, the agent should forget about a commission and just focus upon getting a lower price--which may have more likelihood of reducing the assessment level for property taxes.

Old 08-11-2017, 04:41 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WendyK View Post
I'm not sure why he would want a commission if he's buying it for himself -- it's better to get a good price on the property and not have to pay income taxes on the commission.
It would also lower the property taxes a bit if you drop the actual sale price. Personally if I had a buyer in front of me ready to go finances in hand I would negotiate his commission. Instead of typical 3% i would offer 1.5%. Or offer to pay closing costs if it's the same basic amount. This way he still gets something and you keep a little more in your pocket too.
People get too fixated on what agents get or should get, or how hard they work. Personally I don't see why it makes such difference. You still sold the place and got the money you wanted. Nobody works for free. Sure there are some horrible agents out there. Dint hirecthose types.

Old 08-11-2017, 11:29 AM

8,166 posts, read 8,528,805 times
Quote:
I had an agent approach me about one of our properties. I asked if he had a buyer or was just looking around and he replied that he was actually buying for himself. He wanted to know if his commission would be covered<>In any event, is there a standard procedure in this situation?
Tell him you are not the sucker he seeks. And walk away. This is not his only trick.

Old 08-11-2017, 12:02 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
Tell him you are not the sucker he seeks. And walk away. This is not his only trick.
He would be paying a commission regardless if the buyer had a agent.

Old 08-11-2017, 12:16 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
So, is this a property that you own and are selling FSBO...or are you an agent and "one of our properties" refers to one of the properties that you have listed for sale?

If you're selling FSBO, it makes no sense for the agent to seek a commission. He just needs to focus on getting a lower price. Normally, an agent who is buying a property would use any commission to offset the sales price--so that the commission amount is not taxable. Either way, commission or no commission, the net effect is the same. You both need to be focused upon the net price.

If it's listed for sale, it's perfectly normal for an agent to receive a commission for representing himself. If the agent is not a broker, however, it's a bit more complicated since the commission may need to go through the agent's broker and the broker may want a piece of the action.
Yes, it's a property I own and am selling myself.

If the buyer can figure out a way to reduce his taxes that's fine with me.

However, I'm not sure how that would work here.

If he wants me to reduce the price, why not just make an offer for whatever he's willing to pay? Unless he decides to pay himself a commission, there's no income to report.

Old 08-11-2017, 12:44 PM

11,828 posts, read 34,440,909 times
Default saving money or paying more

The Buyers agent would pay income tax on any commission received.

The Buyer could potentially lower the sales price thereby lowering the property tax paid.

Old 08-11-2017, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Yes, it's a property I own and am selling myself.

If the buyer can figure out a way to reduce his taxes that's fine with me.

However, I'm not sure how that would work here.

If he wants me to reduce the price, why not just make an offer for whatever he's willing to pay? Unless he decides to pay himself a commission, there's no income to report.
Then it makes no sense for him to seek a commission. There is no benefit to him to do so. You two just need to decide upon an acceptable price.

Most likely, he just feels that he can get the priced reduced if you agree to pay a commission...but if you're willing to reduce your net in that fashion then I assume that you would just as easily simply reduce the price. For both of you, it's all about the net price. (It's actually better for him just to purchase based upon a lower price, without messing around with a commission in the calculations.)

Last edited by jackmichigan; 08-11-2017 at 01:25 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 08-11-2017, 01:18 PM

14,489 posts, read 12,121,454 times
Maybe he's trying to finance himself some cash back, to use on the house.

Whatever his reasons, it doesn't really matter, if the net is the same.

Old 08-11-2017, 02:01 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
When my brother who has his Broker's license bought a ranch the Listing agent INSISTED on a commission split... my brother with 30 years in the business has never received $1 in commission... he is an institutional Real Estate Portfolio manager with about a Billion in assets managed.

To make a long story short... he said if the Seller and listing broker insisted on a commission split to take it off the price and everyone was happy... it was enough to buy a nice new Kubota Tractor he was planning on anyway...

They offered a 1.5% split to him...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate