Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2017, 01:20 PM

31 posts, read 37,389 times

Advertisements

I am working on house which was not used for an year. I am keeping this discussion to the pool and landscape work only.
My concern is with the winter coming on north east coast how should I approach it?
Backyard needs some landscape work, soil is quite soft and pool is filled with algae and all sorts of stuff.
So the concern is what should be accomplished now and what should be left for spring.
Like does it make sense to fill the pool and cover it or is it better to get it cleaned and cover it for filling in pool. shall I get landscaping work done first or the pool?
Attached the picture for reference.
Attached Thumbnails
Landscape and Pool work-capture.png  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2017, 01:25 PM

14,480 posts, read 12,107,650 times
This may be more of a "House" forum question than a "Real Estate" one.

I can't see any advantage to filling the pool for winter. I'd either drain it and try to keep it clean and dry. .. or leave it as is until you're ready to use it.... landscaping or not.

Old 09-28-2017, 04:13 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,328,918 times
I would be concerned if you don't clean it that the pool water could stain the plaster. I would not drain it though.
Pools have been known to pop out of the ground in the winter/ rainy season.

Old 09-28-2017, 04:22 PM

2,956 posts, read 2,342,545 times
Deck area and pool need to be cleaned and covered. Skip the landscaping, give the grass a cut and fix the discoloration on the basement concrete at the bottom and should be fine

Old 09-28-2017, 04:58 PM

1,528 posts, read 1,588,488 times
I'm not sure what your situation is (selling the home, just bought it and want to fix it up, etc) but from the photo it appears that the tree to the side is pushing into the house and fence. I would at least trim it so that the branches are not in contact with the home/fence. It's hard to tell but if the tree is a 'weed tree', it's better to remove it completely.

Old 09-29-2017, 06:26 AM

Trees along the house are going down for sure.

Old 09-29-2017, 06:30 AM

I was thinking the same to do power washing and cut the grass only for now. But why is the soil/ grass area so soft. I mean if I step on the grass I can feel the softness or area beneath.

Pool is a nightmare for now, I heard leaving it dry is not good. Though it is almost dry only other than few inches of algae and insects..

Old 09-29-2017, 08:10 AM

3,829 posts, read 6,731,744 times
I admittedly have never owned a pool, but I would think the location matters in term of winter preparation. Where (generally speaking) is this located?

Old 09-29-2017, 09:05 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,077,804 times
I believe in your area protocol is to keep the pool filled in the winter, putting a large inflated tire tube in to absorb the expansion and contraction of the ice. It will likely freeze solid.

Based on that, get the rest of the water out of it now. Pressure wash it. Fill it about 2/3rds with fresh water and appropriate chemicals. Insert the tube, tied down, and put the cover on.

In the spring the pool will still likely be in the ground, not cracked, and reasonably clean so that you start with a cleaning, shocking, chemicals, and then heat it up and good to go.

Talk with your local pool company on what is best in your area. Repay them by buying chemicals from them even if you don't use them to close and open the pool.

Old 09-29-2017, 09:07 AM

14,480 posts, read 12,107,650 times
Good thing a few people know about winter pool care. In our wet climate, they're relatively rare!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate