Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2017, 09:21 AM

989 posts, read 2,498,535 times

Advertisements

Found a very tempting house in 76112, Woodhaven Country Club, of course is a lot of house for the money, but at the cost of desirable location, which I can deal with because I don't have children and if I do, they will go to pvt school anyways.

Area surrounding neighborhood is high crime and about the worst ranked schools imaginable.

Above all, my concern is being able to resell the home later without losing money. I don't care about making money, just don't wanna lose. Life happens, and if I need to sell I want to be able to do so within a reasonable time frame (<3 months) and w/o a loss.

I just don't know how to approach making an offer, or if I should just walk away from it. Any guidance would be helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2017, 09:57 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,746,361 times
I wouldn't do it. We bought a house years ago, nicest house in the area. When it was time to sell we took a huge hit and lost tens of thousands of dollars.

The only way I would think about it is if you are looking at an up and coming neighborhood.

Old 10-18-2017, 10:23 AM

5,662 posts, read 10,743,344 times
Have you ever heard the expression "location, location, location"? It's not just a clever cliche, it's the essence of property value. Here's another...Q: Who lives in bad locations? A: People who have no choice.

Some areas undergo renaissance-level revitalization and property values go up as a result. If you know this is going to happen or have good inside info that it might, maybe it's a good risk. Without that knowledge, it's far more likely that it's a really bad risk. Sometimes, even a bad risk can payoff. You need to decide if you are up for that kind of risk and for the bad times that might/will affect you in the meantime.

Old 10-18-2017, 10:26 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
It's a gamble. If the area continues to be bad, or gets worse, you could lose a lot of money when trying to sell. On the other hand, if it's near nice areas and those prices become less affordable, yours could start to gentrify and you can come out ahead. No way to predict, unfortunately.

Old 10-18-2017, 10:33 AM

4,577 posts, read 5,665,859 times
How long do you plan to stay there? Less than 10 years, tread carefully.

The surrounding neighborhood: Is it on the downslide (i.e., was nice, but has been sliding downhill (lots of renters, etc.), or has it always been a rough neighborhood? Are you seeing signs of revitalization? (other than this house :-)

There's a reason this house is a "deal". Unless there's some serious neighborhood revitalization in the works, I'd probably steer clear.

Old 10-18-2017, 10:38 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,627,476 times
This could be a big mistake. Think carefully about making this move. Some areas get worse some do get better. What are adjoining areas like?

Old 10-18-2017, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblackga View Post
How long do you plan to stay there? Less than 10 years, tread carefully.

The surrounding neighborhood: Is it on the downslide (i.e., was nice, but has been sliding downhill (lots of renters, etc.), or has it always been a rough neighborhood? Are you seeing signs of revitalization? (other than this house :-)

There's a reason this house is a "deal". Unless there's some serious neighborhood revitalization in the works, I'd probably steer clear.
The only sign of revitalization is a very large $25M charter school built essentially next to the subdivision.

Old 10-18-2017, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
What are adjoining areas like?
Garbage, unfortunately. Other than 1 gated community.

Old 10-18-2017, 11:03 AM

6,319 posts, read 10,345,692 times
If your main concern is selling, don't do it. If you're looking for a place to stay for awhile and realize this is the only way to get that nice of a house, probably not a bad idea.

Old 10-18-2017, 11:04 AM

888 posts, read 890,117 times
I'd prefer buying a bad home (with good bones of course) in a nice neighborhood. Easier to doll up a home than a neighborhood. Exception for a bad neighborhood moving in the direction of being good but that's nice easy to predict when the gentrification will take place and for how long it'll last.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate