Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2017, 12:48 PM

453 posts, read 345,492 times

Advertisements

What do you make of houses that have had price fluctuations over the time they have been listed? I know sometimes work has been done to the house to help it sell so it's worth more in that case but check this out:

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...3_M55697-54996

Check out this roller coaster of a price history! This is a home by the largest lake in NJ. It looks like it's gone unsold for 4+ years. Seasonality sometimes appears to affect the price, aka price increases in spring to close by summer when people would enjoy the lake but it's not always the case. If this home didn't sell for $119k in 11/16, no way am I paying $149k 4 months later with clearly little to no work done in that time. It's very interesting to me to check price histories on properties I casually browse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2017, 01:45 PM

2,956 posts, read 2,344,411 times
IIf it's priced right for the location and condition it will sell. Price history can be impacted by so many factors that it is impossible to say without more information what was going on. Homes get listed, prices change, sold, go off the market all the time for various reasons.

The bottom line is the market decides what it will sell for and in the end price fluctuations mean little in the overall picture of the property. What you nit pick most other buyers are totally unaware.

Old 11-14-2017, 04:19 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,223,112 times
I'm that you'll get lots of responses, but if you're not looking to buy, who cares?

It's easy to find a subset of "these people are crazy" sellers where the price goes up or down without rhyme or reason, and the house stays unsold. They're in every market, it just varies how many of them there are.

We had a seller one time who was well overpriced, well above what we suggested to start, well above what we kept showing comps were selling for as the months rolled by for an entire year. A news report came out "prices in Raleigh up 3% over the last year" .... this guy literally said "Hey, look here. The house is worth 3% more. Let's raise the price!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate