Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 04:01 PM

86 posts, read 413,833 times

Advertisements

Please keep us posted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2008, 08:26 AM

56 posts, read 155,212 times
Well - they came back with an offer of $505K - $25K below our agreed upon price. Their agent says - "they don't want a price reduction because they consider the chimneys defective - they just want some money left over to make them operable".

Our closing data is, or was, Monday. I hate these people...

John

Old 03-21-2008, 09:28 AM

18,356 posts, read 26,484,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandspur_321 View Post
Well - they came back with an offer of $505K - $25K below our agreed upon price. Their agent says - "they don't want a price reduction because they consider the chimneys defective - they just want some money left over to make them operable".

Our closing data is, or was, Monday. I hate these people...

John
They could just get fireplace coal (a soft coal not the common hard coal) to burn assuming the fireplaces and coal grates are still in decent shape. It makes a rather pleasing fire surprisingly. Just for your information (you may already know this), coal burning fireplaces generally do not need very expensive modifications to burn wood, unless the chimneys or fireboxes are in very bad shape (such as poor mortar, etc.). Often, just replacing the coal grate and removing any covers (the commond decorative metal covers need to be off when burning wood, I'm not talking the entire surrounds that I'm familiar with) allow for small wood fires to be burned in them. If fires too large are burned the flames may spit out the top of the fireplace but unless a wood mantle is too close it poses more inconvenience than danger as long as it's brought under control (if a wood mantle is that close anyways it wouldn't really be safe to burn coal either though I've seen originals like that). Sometimes the throats need to be opened up a bit if too narrow and possibly the back straightened in the firebox if it angles forward too much too quick but these are simple, relatively inexpensive jobs if done by someone with experience, it's mostly removing brick and then touching up what is left. It sounds to me like they are (supposedly) interested in making them larger, perhaps deeper, like more modern fireplaces, but shallow and smaller fireplaces are more efficient anyways as heat sources. You may even have rumford style coal fireplaces, which a modern deep fireplace would never beat. I have an antique cast iron coal fireplace surround and opening cover I'll use for a new, small wood burning fireplace in the small back-up cabin/workshop I'll be building. It'll work just fine by removing the coal grate (which is in rough shape anyways). They're crazy if they want to enlarge the fireplaces.

Obviously any old fireplace and chimney requires some checking to ensure they're in safe condition but don't take their excuse for lowering their price at all. If they want to destroy the fireplaces they can do it on their own dollar, stand firm on your price. Once you refute this excuse see what their next one is, they're just looking to either get out of it or get it cheaper than it's worth, most likely.

Old 03-21-2008, 09:40 AM

960 posts, read 1,686,640 times
I really feel sorry for the tenant you had in place and so quickly kicked out. Some aggrevation for you the seller, but a cold hard kick in the pants for your tenant. Especially, when you think that no one is going to live there while these fishy potential buyers are playing some kind of game.

Old 03-21-2008, 02:08 PM

Thanks for your replies.

Well - I feel bad for my tenant as well - she's a nice person, and she was looking forward to a summer on the beach. Come to think of it - SO WAS I! Still, I paid her an extra $250 for her trouble, and I'll be listing that on my complaint in small claims court.

I'm not sure I'll get much money out of this joker, but I will certainly get to see him in front of the judge, and hopefully just the inconvenience of the experience will make him think twice about doing this again.

I'll be spending my Easter weekend unpacking, and licking my wounds. Word to the wise out there - watch out for people like this. In my opinion, attempts to lower the offering price by thirty thousand dollars within 2 business days of closing is shameful. But clearly, based on my experience, it DOES happen.

John

Old 03-22-2008, 07:26 AM

2,249 posts, read 8,895,230 times
Has it all actually been called off? Don't be surprised if they still close. Some people try to negotiate right to the bitter end. It's the style and acceptable practice in some countries. So, it might still just happen. I know when I sold my house in NY the buyer demanded a reduction in sale price 2 days before closing, knowing full well I was packed up and moving to Florida. We didn't even address it. We went to the closing. She showed up 2 hrs late with all of us sitting their waiting. She came in, said she wasn't happy, wanted a reduction. My attorney told her that I had a cash offer on the table that would close in two days if she didn't sign. She grabbed the papers and signed. You just never know.

Old 03-22-2008, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmcoasting View Post
Has it all actually been called off? Don't be surprised if they still close. Some people try to negotiate right to the bitter end. It's the style and acceptable practice in some countries. So, it might still just happen. I know when I sold my house in NY the buyer demanded a reduction in sale price 2 days before closing, knowing full well I was packed up and moving to Florida. We didn't even address it. We went to the closing. She showed up 2 hrs late with all of us sitting their waiting. She came in, said she wasn't happy, wanted a reduction. My attorney told her that I had a cash offer on the table that would close in two days if she didn't sign. She grabbed the papers and signed. You just never know.
Well - THAT was an ordeal! Glad you stuck to your guns!

We CAN'T close on that date now - and our realtor told us to just hold of on moving, etc. We're still in the house, but everything is still packed, etc.

Maybe your buyer and ours are related! LOL!

Thanks for the story - it gave me a laugh when I desperately needed one...

JR

Old 03-24-2008, 02:41 PM

Default Update

OK - So I'm walking home today (I took off early) and as I approach my house I see the potential buyers pulling up and parking in front of the house. I say Hi, and chat them up a bit.

Turns out, they don't have horns afterall We laughed a bit, and promised to have a few cold ones once this is all said and done. Of course, we both stated our prospective cases. They want some money left to do improvements - I reminded them this is the lowest priced home in the neighborhood. Hmmm.

We're at $530K - they're at $515K right now. I'm going to propose that we split the difference. So, $522.5 with $2.4K in closing cost assistance (which we'd already agreed to). My gut tells me they'll go for it. After all, it's a compromise. Ahhh, compromise...

Anyway - wish me luck!

John

Old 03-24-2008, 03:39 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,190,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandspur_321 View Post
OK - So I'm walking home today (I took off early) and as I approach my house I see the potential buyers pulling up and parking in front of the house. I say Hi, and chat them up a bit.

Turns out, they don't have horns afterall We laughed a bit, and promised to have a few cold ones once this is all said and done. Of course, we both stated our prospective cases. They want some money left to do improvements - I reminded them this is the lowest priced home in the neighborhood. Hmmm.

We're at $530K - they're at $515K right now. I'm going to propose that we split the difference. So, $522.5 with $2.4K in closing cost assistance (which we'd already agreed to). My gut tells me they'll go for it. After all, it's a compromise. Ahhh, compromise...

Anyway - wish me luck!

John
I spun my St. Joseph statue around four times for you...It has to work now...

Old 03-25-2008, 07:00 AM

2,249 posts, read 8,895,230 times
Good luck and......get it closed! YAY!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate