Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2017, 11:52 AM

229 posts, read 240,818 times

Advertisements

We got about 30 calls a day for three weeks. I found that instead of agents, which I originally thought, it was phone solicitors hired by agents to make appointments for listing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2017, 11:55 AM

43,297 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki Siam View Post
We got about 30 calls a day for three weeks. I found that instead of agents, which I originally thought, it was phone solicitors hired by agents to make appointments for listing.
After about 3 unsolicited telemarketing calls, I think I would have set the appointments all at the same time and then been away for the day.

Old 11-27-2017, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
After about 3 unsolicited telemarketing calls, I think I would have set the appointments all at the same time and then been away for the day.
Good idea.

Old 11-27-2017, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki Siam View Post
Good idea.
You might take down the names, and assume that such agents may not show the property when listed again.

Old 11-27-2017, 02:36 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,111,286 times
When I first started working in real estate, my broker wanted to 'train' me by having me call expired listings.

No thanks.

Old 11-27-2017, 06:33 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,055,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblackga View Post
Yes, it is VERY common. An expired listing is basically a big flashing blue light special: "We want to sell, but we couldn't!" Usually, what we do around here is if we are withdrawing a listing temporarily, we put a note in the private remarks DO NOT CALL - RELISTING (DATE).

I'm surprised you only received 6 calls. A home around here that expires usually receives 20-50 calls within a couple of days of expiring. We warn our sellers that it will happen, and generally, they just don't accept phone calls from unknown numbers for a week. That clears out most of them, but there are some agents who will diligently follow up.
So the calls and mail continue. One broker, in particular, is incredibly persistent and the funny thing is I interviewed him back in March before we listed. Did not select him to list the house.

We will list the house again in early spring and not sure we will use the same agent. I have a few issues with her but husband has already told her we would sign up again in Feb or March. We'll see.

Old 11-27-2017, 07:26 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,893,745 times
I do not subscribe to this procedure, but it must work for some agents. There's a particular one that does the majority of his business by picking up expired/withdrawn listings. I'm not sure if he places calls, but he is quick to generate a nice report and overnight it to the property address as soon as the property moves to expired/withdrawn. He procured atleast two listings from agents in my office this way

Old 11-27-2017, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyj View Post
So the calls and mail continue. One broker, in particular, is incredibly persistent and the funny thing is I interviewed him back in March before we listed. Did not select him to list the house.

We will list the house again in early spring and not sure we will use the same agent. I have a few issues with her but husband has already told her we would sign up again in Feb or March. We'll see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Seriously, I think I would. This is abuse of your "quiet enjoyment."

Old 11-28-2017, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kww View Post
I do not subscribe to this procedure, but it must work for some agents. There's a particular one that does the majority of his business by picking up expired/withdrawn listings. I'm not sure if he places calls, but he is quick to generate a nice report and overnight it to the property address as soon as the property moves to expired/withdrawn. He procured atleast two listings from agents in my office this way
I fell for that one thinking that the binder with information left at the door meant the agent was really looking for work and would do a good job. He was a great con man but as soon as he did the listing he disappeared and made so many mistakes and went against everything we discussed. It took a month to get rid of him but we did. A hard lesson learned.

Old 11-28-2017, 07:06 PM

2,035 posts, read 3,352,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyj View Post
We put our home on the market this past May contracted with a local agent for 6 months.
Had to take it off the market because our new build was delayed. Our agent still had the contract but the listing was not active.

Our listing expired yesterday and we started getting calls this morning from other agents inquiring about our desire to sell.
I was really surprised that we got 6 messages and 2 visits from realtors asking about our intent to sell.

Is this common?
Yep, happened to me and I had already "re-upped." Weird.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate