Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2018, 11:52 AM

2 posts, read 122,619 times

Advertisements

Ok, so I’ll try to summarize this up the best I can.
My husband has 3 acres of land in the country that his mom left him and we were wanting to put a mobile home on it to start out. I know what the costs are to get a mobile home and to get it delivered, but I wanted to know if anyone knows the cost to hook up all the utilities and what not. We plan on getting a propane tank for gas does anyone know how much it costs to hook up to that? There is a electric pole already out there that we can hook up to but I don’t know how much that will cost. There is a water well out there but I don’t think it is any good anymore so we were thinking about hooking up to city water but I don’t know how much that will cost either. There is city water available but we will have to hook up from the trailer to the road. Would it be cheaper just to get someone to come and mark the gas and electric lines and just trench and install the water line our selves? We also would have to install some kind of septic system, does anyone know how much that would cost? And finally we were just going to clear the land that we needed our selves with a chainsaw and I wondered if we would be better off leveling the land ourselves or paying someone to do it? We are just starting out and we are willing to do the work if it will save us money we just have to find someone to tell us what to do. If anyone would happen to know a way we can learn more about the whole process it would be really appreciated. Thank you for any answers.
I live in Illinois by the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2018, 01:59 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times
The dealer who will sell you the home and will place it on the land is also the best one to talk to you about the cost of all of the site work and connections involved. They probably know the right people and contractors they work with every day. I would ask them first!

Old 03-23-2018, 02:14 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
Digging out a whole septic field can be expensive. You have to test to see if the land "percs" first, will the effluvia percolate through the soil and disperse.

Old 03-23-2018, 02:23 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times
Yes and I would think the manufactured home dealer again will be well familiar with the permitting and septic design issues in your area :-). All of these issues are very local in nature and the costs are highly variable!

The good dealers are well set up to be the general contractor through the whole process from start to finish.

Old 03-23-2018, 02:41 PM

8,575 posts, read 12,395,872 times
You're best advised to get some local advice, but you could call the city to see what a hook up to city water would normally cost. I doubt that they'd let you hook the water up yourself--you'd most likely need a licensed contractor.

Do you know much about the site? Have any perc tests been done yet to see if a regular septic system would even work? If it doesn't perc, an engineered field would be very expensive (easily up to $30K). Even a regular septic and field would be several thousand dollars; you'll need to check with local septic companies to see what price they would offer.

Since city water is available, is natural gas also available? That would generally be cheaper than propane. Do you already have a mobile home for the property? You'll need to make sure that any furnace is compatible with your fuel source, otherwise you'll need to buy a new furnace. Fuel oil might be another option if natural gas is not available. As for leveling the land, that's usually not a do-it-yourself job unless you have access to some heavy equipment.

Although the land may be free, you'll need to add up all of the expenses which will be necessary to place a mobile home on the property. Once everything is accounted for, you may find that there are more cost-effective housing options available (and keep in mind that mobile homes tend to depreciate and are more difficult to sell).

Old 03-23-2018, 02:46 PM

2,336 posts, read 2,563,161 times
A septic system will almost surely be the biggest expense. It can easily run $10,000 and (way) up. Are you planning to build a house on the property in the future? If so, the septic should be sized based on that, and not a mobile home.

The cost for a well depends on how deep they have to drill. Again, size it for future needs. This can also be $10,000 or more. Depending on how far you will be from the city water main, it could be considerably cheaper to go that route.

If you already have electric to the location where the mobile home will be, the actual hook up is pretty easy.

Some propane suppliers will provide a tank and connection for little to no cost if you contract with them for propane delivery.

All of these things involve permits, and in Illinois that could be pretty pricey.

These are all very general ideas of the possible costs. As already stated, get local info and estimates. That's the only way to know for sure.

Old 03-24-2018, 09:33 AM

271 posts, read 257,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samfulk12 View Post
Ok, so I’ll try to summarize this up the best I can.
My husband has 3 acres of land in the country that his mom left him and we were wanting to put a mobile home on it to start out. I know what the costs are to get a mobile home and to get it delivered, but I wanted to know if anyone knows the cost to hook up all the utilities and what not. We plan on getting a propane tank for gas does anyone know how much it costs to hook up to that? There is a electric pole already out there that we can hook up to but I don’t know how much that will cost. There is a water well out there but I don’t think it is any good anymore so we were thinking about hooking up to city water but I don’t know how much that will cost either. There is city water available but we will have to hook up from the trailer to the road. Would it be cheaper just to get someone to come and mark the gas and electric lines and just trench and install the water line our selves? We also would have to install some kind of septic system, does anyone know how much that would cost? And finally we were just going to clear the land that we needed our selves with a chainsaw and I wondered if we would be better off leveling the land ourselves or paying someone to do it? We are just starting out and we are willing to do the work if it will save us money we just have to find someone to tell us what to do. If anyone would happen to know a way we can learn more about the whole process it would be really appreciated. Thank you for any answers.
I live in Illinois by the way.
I have a little over 5 acres up North in Wisconsin and in May 2016 I took on a similar project. Get a few references from your neighbors. I'm sure they've had the same work done on their property. I had a 36 ft camper on my property and wanted to make sure that I'd never need to haul it anywhere to fill water tanks or empty out any filthy water tanks! The electrician charged $750 to get the cabling onto my property and there was an additional charge of about $700 from the electric company to get the meter and the electricity turned on. I paid about $6,000 for the well and was fortunate they only dug down about 58 feet before we had water. The septic tank installed was for a 2 bedroom and that was about $3,300. I used an excavating company for the septic tank. He's also the same guy that installed my driveway and my tornado shelter that I purchased from Granger ISS out in Ohio (wasn't taken any chances in the middle of nowhere). Overall, I paid about $11,000 for all the work (not including the tornado shelter or driveway). References are important! Good luck with everything!!

hatethewinter

Old 03-24-2018, 06:53 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,046,770 times
My costs were as follows:

Electric: $1300. It needed to be run all the way to the other end because the hook-up was on the wrong side.

Plumbing: $600. This was pretty simple but it too had to be run all the way to the other side to reach the septic tank. I did need some repairs because when the home was moved, they bottomed out and broke some of the lines.

Septic system: Already installed but about $4000 and on up. It is less expensive to have an excavating company install it.

Water: Luckily tap was already on site. If not, $2800 for city water.

Old 03-26-2018, 07:20 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Where you are makes a huge difference. Some utilities will charge not only for installation but also a "system capacity charge" to help offset the cost of additional infrastructure to handle the expansion by you and others adding to the demand.
One relative did a new double-wide in the early 2000s, replacing an old one so already a well there, power and septic. They did have to do a new septic system because of the new home's increased size, however, and that was about $16,000 back then, because if the soil doesn't perk there has to be a large drain field. It cost another $10,000 for the concrete pad for the home to go on. This was in an unincorporated property in the country.

Old 04-05-2018, 12:46 AM

2 posts, read 122,619 times
Thank you all for your help I appriciate it. I’ve never used a forum before so I was kind of skeptical but I’m glad I asked
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate