Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2018, 03:33 PM

8,574 posts, read 12,414,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Jack,
"Thinking" is optional when copy/pasting drivel.

I put more thought into the one crawlspace I was in today than these people do trolling on agents.
Didn't notice any attorneys or appraisers under the house, either, and I have a great flashlight.

I did show my client some termite tubes in exchange for him showing me a dead mouse. Seemed fair at the time.
I suppose that lawyers are a lot like termites--you never want to find either in a crawlspace with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2018, 03:59 PM

43,292 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
I suppose that lawyers are a lot like termites--you never want to find either in a crawlspace with you.
Termites will outwork any internet troll.
I respect the heck out of them for that.

And, I would rather see an attorney in a crawlspace, than across the aisle in a courtroom...

Old 03-24-2018, 04:36 PM

1,663 posts, read 1,579,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_because View Post
Uh...the point is that nobody knows if the OP was dealing with a buyer's agent or a seller's agent. So we can't say anything about buyer's agent commissions. But thanks for pointing out the obvious. So much for your grasp on context.
Incorrect. We were talking about Buyers agents commissions. You were ranting and missed that.

Old 03-24-2018, 04:38 PM

14,488 posts, read 12,114,400 times
Quote:
And, I would rather see an attorney in a crawlspace, than across the aisle in a courtroom...
But not fair if you put him there.

Old 03-24-2018, 05:03 PM

1,528 posts, read 1,589,271 times
Quote:
Termites will outwork any internet troll.
I respect the heck out of them for that.

Don't worry, we're working on that for you!

Old 03-24-2018, 05:33 PM

14,488 posts, read 12,114,400 times
Not cool. (because you would probably actually like that)

Old 03-24-2018, 05:41 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,219,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhbj03 View Post
OP, this is what I do.

I have a couple of agents in my home base area (SF), who have worked with me on past deals and know what I am good for with regard to funds and intention. When I want to buy something, even if in a different county 300 miles away, I go to them and check if they are comfortable representing me.

I tell them I will do my own research and due diligence; they don't even need to go see the property; they just need to, if and when asked, offer me their professional opinion to the best of their ability, and help me write the offer. I use them mainly as a consultant, intelligence gatherer, strategist, and when the 2nd pair of eyes when the paperwork starts.

Since they know I am a bona fide buyer, they don't mind if I sometimes low-ball on a bid. My habit is to, where I sense the situation permits (like when a property has sat on the market for 9 months), give a lower bid, then if not accepted, I then consider raising it.

A few times my local agents had agreed to help me deal with properties in another market; a few times they declined without giving me a reason. I suspect those are when they think there are certain risk elements that they are not familiar with. I don't force them. For my latest venture, a mountain/lake property, none of my acquainted agents would help me, and I had to engage a new stranger broker. That did not work out too well.

Or maybe I am just too used to the good model I have had.

I would agree that even agents don't know exactly what would happen with every property sale. They can only make their best judgement and sometimes situation does not pan out that way. All you can ask for is that there is trust between you and your agent; the rest you leave to "win some, lose some".

I stick with that approach as much as possible.
seriously, if those agents don't give you a reason, and a referral to someone, then a) they're not really that good and b) they don't really care about your business nor think you're that good of a customer.

I help clients' friends find agents for rentals in far-off locales for ZERO compensation to me ... because their relationship is worth it on a happiness and business basis.

Old 03-24-2018, 05:47 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,219,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Oh good grief.

Off on appointments today.

Good luck to all.

thank goodness I was doing that all day
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate