Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2018, 03:31 AM

1 posts, read 548 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am a teacher in Western Mass and for years have wanted to sell Real Estate. I am now in a position that I can now start to do it. I have looked around but am not able to find information on doing this. Can anyone suggest/help me with how to get started in realty ? I am not sure on what steps to take first. I do not know anyone selling real estate in this area. I would like to do it part time. I like teaching and want to continue teaching. Is there a need for part time realtors ?
Thank you for ANY help with this.

Last edited by MrBoney; 04-06-2018 at 03:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2018, 04:39 PM

75 posts, read 306,972 times
Hi,
I am a realtor in Eastern Ma and can certainly point you in the right direction for a real estate school/classes to get your license. Whereabouts in Western Mass are you located?
When getting started in real estate the best thing to do is to find a company that has a lot of ongoing in house training, and take full advantage of it. You will find there are companies that will say they have training which consists of getting partnered with an experienced agent, and sharing your commission with them as compensation for that training. Your broker(employer)splits commission from your sale with you...often 50/50 or 60/40 when starting. If the company is taking 35, 40,50% of your commission then they should offer training to agents at their expense.
There is not a lot of money in real estate in the beginning, and you do not get paid until you have a sale. I would suggest starting with a company that can offer you support and training, and if you did feel the need when you do get a customer even with the company's training ask someone in that office you have seen do their job to split your deal with you in exchange for helping / teaching you with your deal . Don't agree to share more than one customer at a time. If you need help with another ask again then. You will do best with a company that wants to educate and train you to become a great agent to make you and them money. You don't need to make other agents rich too.

Old 04-06-2018, 07:55 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times
if you are a teacher, and do that full-time, and enjoy doing it and plan on continuing teaching ... what is your expectation of what a "part-time real estate agent" entails?

Are you expecting weekends and during your summertime? After the 3 or 4 pm school bell?

Old 04-06-2018, 08:12 PM

8,545 posts, read 14,025,464 times
It sounds like you've got two questions. First, would it be a good idea for you to become a real estate agent. Second, how does one become a real estate agent.

The second one is the easier question. So, let's start there. I'm assuming you're not an attorney because if you were then it's much easier to get a RE license in MA. If you're not an attorney, then you need to complete 24 hours of classroom time at an approved RE School (https://www.mass.gov/service-details...-massachusetts). It does seem there are a few on the list out in W. Mass but not a ton of options. Once you complete the prelicensing classroom requirement, you can sit for the licensing exam. If you should pass the test, you'll receive a salesperson's license. In order to use your new license, you'll need to "hang" it at a brokerage. Most of the real training you'll receive doesn't happen until you arrive at a brokerage. So, make sure you choose well.

As for the question of should you become a RE agent . . . well that's really up to you. It sounds like you're very interested in real estate. It's a HARD job though. It's not a get rich quick opportunity. If you're going to do it part time, it's only going to be that much harder.

Old 04-06-2018, 08:16 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times
only 24 hours? what is the pass/fail rate on the state exam, if you know.

Old 04-06-2018, 08:23 PM

75 posts, read 306,972 times
Massachusetts is 40hrs of classroom.

Old 04-07-2018, 05:30 AM

43,292 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBoney View Post
Hello, I am a teacher in Western Mass and for years have wanted to sell Real Estate. I am now in a position that I can now start to do it. I have looked around but am not able to find information on doing this. Can anyone suggest/help me with how to get started in realty ? I am not sure on what steps to take first. I do not know anyone selling real estate in this area. I would like to do it part time. I like teaching and want to continue teaching. Is there a need for part time realtors ?
Thank you for ANY help with this.
Frankly, no.
There is no need for part-time REALTORS®.

That said, some people are able to balance their work life and provide adequate service to clients to build some business and income.
You might consider getting licensed and affiliating with a team, with a rainmaker who agrees with your part time status.

Old 04-07-2018, 01:28 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
What would you do with a buyer who comes into town on Thurs morning and wants to see 15 houses on Th & Fri? Call in sick to school? How about a seller who wants to meet at their lunch time? Closings are usually scheduled during normal business hours. Would you be available? Although some PT realtors succeed, most do not.

Old 04-07-2018, 01:32 PM

15,144 posts, read 27,785,743 times
Here is the Real Estate Professionals thread: //www.city-data.com/forum/real-...professionals/

Old 04-07-2018, 01:35 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
Or an Inspection at 2pm or a closing at 10am?

I had to meet an electrician at a house yesterday at 9am and sit there for 3 hours while he did some work. What cha gonna do then?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate