Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2018, 06:35 PM

116 posts, read 89,269 times

Advertisements

Owning a home is a huge expense and you increasingly need a VERY good job in order to get one. However, with the way employers and business' keep trying to screw over and pay as little as possible it's difficult just getting a decent apartment and paying all the other bills.

Do you think home ownership for young people today and in the future is just a pipe dream for most?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2018, 06:50 PM

14,461 posts, read 12,090,641 times
Employers trying to screw people over and pay as little as possible?
They've never paid more! Liveable wage starter jobs flipping burgers... with health insurance!

No... I think home ownership is thriving. There are places where it is easier or more achievable... and careers that make it much easier... But I think if people put down the pipe... they can find a place to own a home and live the American Dream still.

Old 05-24-2018, 07:04 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,937,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zengha View Post

Do you think home ownership will still be viable for younger people today and in the future?
I think that's mostly about how many other younger people they have to compete with
which is about the same situation they're in regarding the jobs they'll need too.

Old 05-24-2018, 07:06 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,161,895 times
I feel like this is a troll post. I am 30 and most of my peers own homes with normal jobs. It would be more expensive for me to rent.

Old 05-24-2018, 08:10 PM

715 posts, read 1,073,506 times
I don’t believe it’s a pipe dream, but depending on their individual circumstance, such as living in a market where starter homes are scarce or being saddled with a lot of student loan debt, it may take a lot longer for the dream to happen.

Old 05-24-2018, 08:30 PM

127 posts, read 107,245 times
While student loan debt and stagnating wages (in relation to both inflation and production) have made saving up the traditional/best 20% impossible for a lot of people, there are a lot of programs for first-time buyers that require anywhere from 0-3% down for those with good or excellent credit. Where I live, saving more than that without falling behind on rent *is* a pipe dream, but specialized lenders are helping young people (especially) get into houses. I worry about those who get in over their heads in regards to repairs and upgrades for poorly-maintained homes, but I hope this aspect of the American Dream isn’t going to fall out of reach entirely.

Old 05-24-2018, 08:37 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,750,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zengha View Post
Owning a home is a huge expense and you increasingly need a VERY good job in order to get one. However, with the way employers and business' keep trying to screw over and pay as little as possible it's difficult just getting a decent apartment and paying all the other bills.

Do you think home ownership for young people today and in the future is just a pipe dream for most?
As long as you get settled into renting for a while and develop good credit and good money management skills and you don't need a fancy updated home it's still possible in many areas. It seems now with high college debt that it's true that with each generation it is getting harder to afford a home.

Old 05-25-2018, 04:40 AM

125 posts, read 85,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
As long as you get settled into renting for a while and develop good credit and good money management skills and you don't need a fancy updated home it's still possible in many areas. It seems now with high college debt that it's true that with each generation it is getting harder to afford a home.
So don’t accumulate college debt; there are many ways to avoid easy loan money.

Old 05-25-2018, 06:12 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,750,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greeniejeans View Post
So don’t accumulate college debt; there are many ways to avoid easy loan money.
That's not the only reason.

Old 05-25-2018, 08:03 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,353,597 times
Not where I live, unless they're pretty wealthy or have a good chunk of change to put down.

I bought a tiny apartment right before the prices surged again. I can't even afford the two bedroom if I wanted to throw a kid into the mix at this point. Forget an actual house!

The more I save to "put down" the further that end point moves. I hope things line up and I can move in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate