Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2018, 04:09 PM

857 posts, read 959,685 times

Advertisements

So I now have narrowed down to three targets, on which I am doing research.

1. A small island under 100K USD. It is small (but huge compared to a city lot), but is very perfect in terms of outline, vegetation, etc. There is no house on it. If I select this one, the purchase can move forward right now because cash is in the bank. Buying this one would be purely for the pleasure of owning an island -- a stunning property and a piece of mother nature -- at an affordable price. I will occasionally go there to camp and fish and dive myself; maybe when my kids are older they can join me. My wife will probably never go there.

2. An island in the 200K USD neighborhood. There is a simple house. The island is large enough for me to roam around and have complete privacy, because of the thick forest. This deal can also go forward right away, if all the other considerations turn out OK. My major fear here is with a house on it and not being tended to, whether thieves will land and just strip everything clean, which has happened to another vacation property I own. It's an upsetting event but not a showstopper; I accept this as part of cost of owning it. In this island setting, though, replacing stuff can be a major headache; so I have to think through it. If I go for this one, my family will join me there on our yearly vacation, although my wife will be complaining all the way I know. Access/lot on mainland is also a consideration since many people will go there at the same time -- if just me, I can take a canoe and get on the island.

3. An island in the 300-400 USD neighborhood. This island is even bigger, with a very nice house, nice dock, and even lakes, meadows, and forest on it. There is also a bigger town on the mainland side. This to me is a turn-key solution; everything is already perfect for me. I was about to pay this much for a lake property in California; if I buy this one instead, I will be getting so much more for the same price. And even my picky wife will enjoy going to this place. To buy this property, I need to sell something to fund it, which I am willing to do but this takes a little time. The major considerations here again is potential theft and maybe even squatter, plus the access/lot on mainland question.

When I am done, I will come back to reveal the ones that I did not select.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2018, 05:55 PM

4,565 posts, read 10,658,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhbj03 View Post
I have one of those set up. It just got broken into and all valuables and non-valuables taken, including half consumed cooking oil and old clothing . Some people... An island is needed for the true escape.
An island is an even more desirable target. Young party goers love islands. You can pull up a boat, anchor, party all day on the island, and no police will ever bother you. They may not take anything, but trash the place.

Yep, happens. Other people have boats too.

Old 05-25-2018, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 399083453 View Post
An island is an even more desirable target. Young party goers love islands. You can pull up a boat, anchor, party all day on the island, and no police will ever bother you. They may not take anything, but trash the place.

Yep, happens. Other people have boats too.
That's another pro point for the first option, the small island without house. There is nothing to steal or destroy; it's just trees and rocks. And there are other islands around; this one is unlikely to attract any interest. It really would be a carefree ownership.

On the other hand, the most expensive option 3 house, I believe it is being used as a vacation rental. This model has the advantage of someone looking after the property and will work too; just that dealing with a business is hard work, mentally and physically, which I am not keen to commit myself in.

Old 05-25-2018, 07:33 PM

4,565 posts, read 10,658,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhbj03 View Post
That's another pro point for the first option, the small island without house. There is nothing to steal or destroy; it's just trees and rocks. And there are other islands around; this one is unlikely to attract any interest.
Wrong.

Even a vacant island attracts people who like to party. Leave trash, bottles, cans, fire pits, etc. Just telling you this so you are not surprised when it happens.

Old 05-25-2018, 07:50 PM

Found this blog; a good read. Very similar to the path I am traveling down...

My Friends and I Bought an Island - Tynan

Old 05-26-2018, 08:39 PM

3,680 posts, read 2,966,899 times
This is why I plan to keep Kodiak bears on any island in the north. Put up a sign every 50 feet and revelers may decide to party elsewhere. Especially if you manage to sprinkle bones about.

Old 05-26-2018, 09:51 PM

If I can confirm availability of internet signal coverage on the island, then I can have cameras monitoring the place 24/7 and broadcast videos online. This is how my option #3 with nice house does it. I am really only concerned with house theft, I am not confident one can find enough young people there to hold a party....

Old 05-27-2018, 04:27 AM

For the same price would you take 20 acres with a house, or 70 acres without a house? And the reason?

Old 05-27-2018, 01:51 PM

3,680 posts, read 2,966,899 times
1000 variables....

Generally I would put a premium on an existing house hoping that current plumbing and electric have functionality. Are there enforced code requirements? Otherwise a 50 gallon barrel might be the sewage holding tank.

Plus it is easier to add on than to build from scratch and you have a place to live while building. But I'm a builder...

20 acres vs. 70 acres? It may be hard to use much more than 20 acres though 70 gives more exploration potential. Basically...I'd probably take 20 with the house. Getting a house going can be quite expensive and problematic. Like blasting into rock....

I would try to determine that the house was reasonably well built rather than something thrown together with "seconds".

Old 05-27-2018, 03:29 PM

17,314 posts, read 22,056,580 times
Rather than build anything.......why not just tie a houseboat up to the island! Basically a floating trailer with everything you need!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate