Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2008, 12:16 AM

15 posts, read 70,098 times

Advertisements

We live in our own house. We would like to buy land or a rental property,but our medicaid tells us to sell it or live in it,or be cut off from services...Anything valued over $2,000 they want you to sell it to qualify...Is there some loophole to get around this??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2008, 02:22 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,189,163 times
Not to the best of my knowledge (someone correct me if I'm wrong please) . We have been through this with first my parents and now my elder brother. You have to be utterly impoverished to receive assistance. It's a national tradgedy. My heart goes out to you.

Old 03-28-2008, 03:09 PM

733 posts, read 4,653,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jellybelly66 View Post
We live in our own house. We would like to buy land or a rental property,but our medicaid tells us to sell it or live in it,or be cut off from services...Anything valued over $2,000 they want you to sell it to qualify...Is there some loophole to get around this??
Generally no. Your family home is not counted as an asset as long as you, or an non-institutionalized spouse, is residing in it. All other property is a countable resource and has to be spent down to the applicable resource limit.

Old 03-28-2008, 03:14 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,933,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Not to the best of my knowledge (someone correct me if I'm wrong please) . We have been through this with first my parents and now my elder brother. You have to be utterly impoverished to receive assistance. It's a national tradgedy. My heart goes out to you.
It's not a national tragedy. They aren't being told they have to sell the house they live in. They are being told that if they have the money to buy an investment property, they can afford to pay for their own health care, instead of receiving it from the government, which has to collect the taxes to pay for it from others. Where's the tragedy in that? You think taxpayers ought to be paying for healthcare so the person being cared for can buy investment property?

Old 03-28-2008, 04:11 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jellybelly66 View Post
There are ways to "cheat" the system and hold title, nothing I would encourage or tell people how to do.

Old 03-28-2008, 04:23 PM

930 posts, read 2,422,640 times
Bill Keegan....Great post!!! I don't think that could be stated any better.

Old 03-28-2008, 04:46 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
I agree with Bill. Our waiting list for the Medicaid plan in Oregon is really long. If you can afford an investment property or some land, then you don't sound like you need Medicaid.

There are a lot of people that really, really need help that can't afford land, and they are on the waiting lists.

Old 03-28-2008, 05:39 PM

2,210 posts, read 7,024,355 times
I'm going to agree with Bill here too, and I am in favor of nationalized healthcare. But the system as it stands is there to help the really impoverished and if you are not, but are hiding assets in order to get assistance, then you are preventing somebody else from getting help they might need more than you.

Old 03-29-2008, 02:30 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,189,163 times
I didn't carefully read the post and missed the part about buying additional property. I stand suitably chastened. I don't respect people who manipulate the system that is, as you correctly pointed out, for the truly impoverished (which was the case for my family). My father was proud of owning his house* and being debt free. He had no other assets. He was going out the front door on his way to work at 76 years of age when he had the stroke that put him in a nursing home for the last five years of his life. His retirement was five years in a wheel chair. I could not afford the $5000 a month (in today's money) for his room and he went on Medicaid. I am sick to this day that I couldn't do better for my Dad than that, but the reality is that I'm facing the same fate. In our society today there is an abyss between the wealthy and the working class. You either are or become rich or you will become utterly impoverished in the end (unless God mercifully allows you to die suddenly). It's like a Monopoly game. I have decided not to put my kids through any of that. I will rent. Then I will have nothing that has to be liquidated when the time comes.

*The demographics had changed for the worse in his neighborhood and his house brought only $3000 after being on the market for a year. That didn't pay for more than a month's care.

Last edited by Bideshi; 03-29-2008 at 03:04 AM..

Old 03-29-2008, 10:49 AM

50,335 posts, read 63,906,560 times
If you can afford to buy land, why do you need Medicare?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate