Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2018, 01:03 PM

1,078 posts, read 938,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
Ha ha, me too. Personally, I like the pastel tropical colors. Not everyone's taste but what do I care?
Me too, Piney! A little gray is absolutely lovely as a non-brown neutral, but I think it’s been overdone. Still, I’m glad the one you picked you’re happy with and it looks nice. That’s what matters
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2018, 03:52 PM

9,361 posts, read 14,111,535 times
I would not want to live in a grey interior myself, but I can see why it helps to sell a house. For one thing, each potential buyer likes a different color palette, but ALL of them can imagine their belongs against a grey background. Furthermore, most older homes have a lot of wood somewhere, either in floors or cabinets or doors. The grey paint neutralizes the orangey or yellow-y overtones, while other colored walls may draw those oranges and yellows out.

If the house still has decor, just a few prints or wall hangings will look nice on a grey background. Taupey colors may or may not look muddy to people while most greys look crisp and clean. Of course with the perfect choice of furniture, taupe or "greige" looks marvelous, but it takes careful design.

We may prefer warmer or more colorful walls when WE live there, but I can see how a consistent light grey sets off the trim and cleans things up. Why not white, you say? Whites are all over the place in terms of overtones while sometimes making upholstery, rugs, and even ceilings look a little dirty.

Fun little discussion, Piney Creek.

Old 07-01-2018, 05:12 PM

1,078 posts, read 938,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Senor View Post
You overthought the hell out of it. I’d be willing to wager dollars to donuts that the paint job added 3K to your list price, and 27 buyers will say “yuck. Gray”.

Never pay for paint. If you can’t DIY, rely on their imagination - that imagination will always undercut the actual
Cost.
Eh, I can do a lot of things on my own, but time and effort do have value and painting is something that outsourcing can make sense with. Especially if the ceilings are very high.

A nice compromise can be paying for a paint sprayer. That’s what we are doing this next week with our reno. Good results and less effort but still economical.

Old 07-01-2018, 08:11 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,667,145 times
You mean your real estate agent was right when she suggested that you paint it grey? Who would have imagined . . . ? :-D

Old 07-01-2018, 08:16 PM

3,546 posts, read 3,116,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblackga View Post
You mean your real estate agent was right when she suggested that you paint it grey? Who would have imagined . . . ? :-D

Ha ha, well I'll let you know if she was right when the house actually sells. But I felt comfortable enough to at least try it.

Old 07-02-2018, 12:24 AM

13,388 posts, read 6,442,737 times
Meh...…...for what its worth the millennials who just bought the house next door to me painted the outside gray.

For my tastes, they chose to light a gray, but its an improvement over the canary yellow that the previous owners painted it before they put it on the market.

I have to wonder how all these gray painters feel when they visit their friends and everyone's house is gray either in or outside lol.

Its one of the more bizarre trends I've seen.

Old 07-02-2018, 05:11 AM

15,220 posts, read 10,318,759 times
When I moved into my late aunt's house the outside was painted a deep, ugly green and the inside was a dark beige from ceiling to baseboards. Inside I went with a light taupe with white ceiling & trim and outside I did panda white with black shutters and a red door. My neighbors have thanked me for getting rid of the horrible green. It doesn't even look like the same house but it does look clean and fresh.

I prefer my color in throws, pillows, etc. rather than commit myself to living with a "color" on the walls. While gray is not my cup of tea it does go with a lot (except a true beige). I would think it would be rather depressing but I could see it working with the right furnishings.

Old 07-02-2018, 05:41 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,220,959 times
I see a lot of things out there that I like on some level but that doesn't mean I would want to live with it. Grey interiors are probably in that group. Might be different if I lived in Arizona or Fl instead of somewhere it is gray 6 months of the year.
Then I might like it living with it.

Paint is fairly easy to remedy. I see a lot of newly modernized houses on the market that have gray tile and gray tinged wooden flooring. That isn't so easy to change.

Old 07-02-2018, 06:47 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,547,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblackga View Post

At least it is better than bright orange … or purple.

Any of the "50" shades of grey are depressing and will be pricey to redo it. I would deduct it from the purchase price as a negative.

Old 07-02-2018, 08:59 AM

11,582 posts, read 6,738,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
At least it is better than bright orange … or purple.

Any of the "50" shades of grey are depressing and will be pricey to redo it. I would deduct it from the purchase price as a negative.

Trying to deduct for money from the purchase price for a newly painted home just because you don't like the color (which is neutral) would probably not happen! As everyone has their own opinions on the color grey and there has been NUMEROUS threads on it...…GREY is a neutral color, just like beige and whether you like it or not is one's own opinion just like any other color. Not to mention, the majority of people will repaint after buying a new home to satisfy their own tastes.

I'm personally sick of beige walls, but that's my opinion. When we bought our current home every single wall was beige! I like grey and have done some (not all) of my rooms in a light grey tone, when depending on the light it could look a soft purple or even blue. I accent it with teal décor with pictures and pillows and have received many complements!

Is it a fad? I don't think it's any more a fad than when every home out there painted the walls beige/tan about 15 years ago. But then again it looked better with all the oak colored trim and cabinets. Now most newer home have white trim and doors and the grey compliments better than a beige color. At any rate, it's one owns preference, but to say you would not buy a house based on paint color is ridiculous! You should be buying a home based on location, floor plan, number of rooms, etc. Paint is an easy cosmetic fix!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate