Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2018, 08:07 AM

1,073 posts, read 1,043,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostsoul62 View Post
I bought a house in Oklahoma City a year ago and I don't like it here. I'm 71 years old and I can't see spending my last years here. If I sell it though a real estate agent I will lose about $20K which I can't afford because I have a VA loan. So would craigslist be a way to dump this house? I have to sell it one way or another so I can buy another house though the VA.
You need to suck it up and live there--at least until your financial conditions improve. Assuming you chose a VA guaranteed loan for the zero-down option and had the funding fee rolled into financing, you are negative equity at closing. Of course, if you are VA-rated for disability, the funding fee is waived, and you might be a little better off.

You "don't like it" there? Do some soul-searching. Taking a hit with the end state being to restore VA guarantee eligibility to put yourself in the an even worse financial position in a different place? What if you don't like the next spot? Who knows if what you "like" will even be affordable by the time you close out in OKC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2018, 08:52 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,463,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Poor assumption in many markets, including my local market.
There are plenty of agents legitimately advertising homes on Craigslist before they go Active on MLS here.
And, plenty of legitimate ads from FSBOs, too.
Yeah it makes sense to use Craigslist since it’s free and gets a ton of exposure .
I do see some fake ads but they are usually pretty obvious .

Old 07-05-2018, 08:57 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
I have sold a home on Craigslist and must have been lucky because zero issues except for the minor traffic jam it created...

Old 1927 Home on a busy street on a lot 40 x 50... so read small... but it had a garage big enough for a Mini.

Did two showings and accepted offers... accepted the 5k overbid and sold for 255k in Spring 2005... two years later it sold for 350k in 2007 and as a foreclosure in 2009 for 80k

No regrets.

What I had going for me is the home was the least expensive single family at the time in a city of 400k... but it was old and small on a busy street.

If you are not sure... wisdom would dictate paying a Lawyer to review...

One home I bought was listed... I knew the seller but did not know they were selling... the Broker accepted 1% of the list price as commission... it was literally listed for a day and needed work. I was sure glad the Broker was involved because the Seller's step daughter was a real problem... Broker insisted on a rent back amount that significant enough to pressure everyone to get her out...

Old 07-05-2018, 01:02 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,219,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
I'd like to explore some of the thoughts that went into these decisions...
but that can come later.

...will probably get the best price you can.
But trying to sell without one, and especially with a VA buyer, will be tough and isn't likely to NET more.

Whether that sale can NET enough cash to cover your expenses and whatever else you need to get out of it all is another matter.
Are you suggesting that the commission and closing costs will wipe out your equity? Or most of it? ($20,000+/-)

Not to be impolite or presume too much... but maybe owning isn't the best path for you at this time?

their thread 11 months ago...

//www.city-data.com/forum/real-...e-va-loan.html

Old 07-05-2018, 01:41 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
their thread 11 months ago...
Ya. I poked some too. The OP doesn't offer a lot of detail in any of his posts.

As to craigslist... I think it's a local issue.
Some markets have a good (self moderating & active) community.
Some have gutter trash.

Old 07-05-2018, 11:16 PM

I used CL and Z on my FSBO almost 3 years ago. Nothing but kooks coming through the CL channel.

Okay, maybe kooks is a little harsh. But not a single qualified lead through CL (a 2.2 million metro area) in what was a hot market. Second showing from a Z lead resulted in contract (later sold) after 4 days.

Old 07-06-2018, 07:15 AM

3,657 posts, read 3,289,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVREDLEG View Post
You need to suck it up and live there...
Suck it up and live there? Please, the OP is talking about Oklahoma City, the armpit of the US. Talk about a callous attitude towards the suffering of others.

Old 07-06-2018, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
Suck it up and live there? Please, the OP is talking about Oklahoma City, the armpit of the US. Talk about a callous attitude towards the suffering of others.
LOL. When did "I don't like it" become suffering? More like grumbling about paying for one's own mistake. How does one suffer by having an affordable home to live in? Suffering, which is neither implied or stated in the OP, or even in the attached thread referenced, is something you conjured in your own mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate