Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 07:27 AM

193 posts, read 147,880 times

Advertisements

We are under contract on a vacation/weekend property. Very unique place and we are excited.

We had it down to two contenders, very different places but both in markets that were a bit soft. In both instances, the realtors (different agents) had "another offer coming in." This was used to spur us into writing as it took a few weeks to make a decision between the two.

Neither of these other offers materialized and the house we decided against is still sitting on the market. I have heard this phantom offer thing before. How often is this used as a hurrying tactic for a fence sitting buyer and how often is it actually true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2018, 07:36 AM

14,494 posts, read 12,128,212 times
There is another active thread in this forum discussing this very topic.

As seller's agent... when I've said it it has always been true. Of course, we don't know that incoming offers will be good offers until we see them.

I have, of course, as buyer's agent, often asked myself the same question, is it true or is this person BSing us? Still, if client wants the property, we have to assume it is true, and make our best offer.

Old 08-07-2018, 07:43 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,816,702 times
Many times, buyer's agents jump the gun. I received a text on Friday that an agent was meeting with her buyers on Saturday to write an offer on one of my listings. Sunday came around, and I texted asking if I missed something. She said buyers were thinking and I would hear on Monday. It's now Tuesday, and I've heard nothing.

Listing agents don't purposely make stuff up to get offers from buyers who don't want to submit offers quickly. If I received a call asking if I had any offers, my response would be that I have nothing in hand, but I was told by an agent to expect something.

Old 08-07-2018, 05:19 PM

199 posts, read 184,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desperatedogadvice View Post
We are under contract on a vacation/weekend property. Very unique place and we are excited.

We had it down to two contenders, very different places but both in markets that were a bit soft. In both instances, the realtors (different agents) had "another offer coming in." This was used to spur us into writing as it took a few weeks to make a decision between the two.

Neither of these other offers materialized and the house we decided against is still sitting on the market. I have heard this phantom offer thing before. How often is this used as a hurrying tactic for a fence sitting buyer and how often is it actually true?

This tactic is used to create a sense of urgency to write an offer and in my experience, is widely used in residential real estate. It preys on the desire to not miss out on something.

One approach you might consider is to have a confederate submit an offer immediately after yours at a price that is below your offer. This reverses the situation and gives you leverage and control over the transaction by putting pressure on the seller to accept your offer.

Old 08-07-2018, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westcoasters View Post
One approach you might consider is to have a confederate submit an offer immediately after yours at a price that is below your offer. This reverses the situation and gives you leverage and control over the transaction by putting pressure on the seller to accept your offer.

Not only do I not see this working (I'm not sure I agree with your psychology)... I can't imagine an agent who would submit a 'fake' offer in the hopes of boosting the appeal of another one. I'm not in the mood to look it up... but I'm sure it would be expressly against both regulation and ethics.

Old 08-08-2018, 09:57 AM

199 posts, read 184,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Not only do I not see this working (I'm not sure I agree with your psychology)... I can't imagine an agent who would submit a 'fake' offer in the hopes of boosting the appeal of another one. I'm not in the mood to look it up... but I'm sure it would be expressly against both regulation and ethics.

I think you misunderstood. The second offer would not be a fake offer, but a real offer by a qualified confederate buyer using a different agent. It has been very effective in several of my transactions.

Old 08-08-2018, 10:21 AM

21,945 posts, read 9,513,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Agree.

Old 08-08-2018, 10:23 AM

21,945 posts, read 9,513,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westcoasters View Post
I think you misunderstood. The second offer would not be a fake offer, but a real offer by a qualified confederate buyer using a different agent. It has been very effective in several of my transactions.
Ok, I will be the dumb one here. What's a 'confederate buyer'?

Old 08-08-2018, 10:33 AM

718 posts, read 599,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
What's a 'confederate buyer'?
Cash buyer is what I got out of it.

Old 08-08-2018, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Ok, I will be the dumb one here. What's a 'confederate buyer'?
Call me dumb too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate