Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2018, 05:45 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,425,421 times

Advertisements

My feathers are a bit ruffled, so this may come off a bit rantish. If so, just bear with me...

So, just listed my house (to which I have as much, or more, personal attachment as anyone does since I spent 8 months of 40 hour work-weeks restoring the property) and have had 2 showings in the ~10 days since listing. That's good. We're in a small rural area, my agent holds the key ~ no lock boxes and scheduled appointments in other words, and the one request we have is no shoes in the house. Not outlandish IMHO, pretty common for this area to take off shoes when entering homes (and there's a bench with shoe tray right at the front door). One last bit of maybe pertinent info, our house is perpetually "show ready", about all that's needed is to straighten the couch and lock up jewelry.

So the first showing I'm sure they removed shoes as it was raining. But several things in the house were amiss upon return. Door to our washing machine was closed (front-load, it's left open to mitigate mold), living room furniture was mussed up (pillows and blankets amiss) and our thermostat was turned way down (was set on 63 at the time of showing, 55 when I came back).

Second showing they clearly did NOT remove shoes as there was trash (leaf debris, mulch, dirt/grit) all over the floors and they used the bathroom.

This isn't my first rodeo, I've sold 3 other homes in the past decade and I don't recall dealing with this despite the same no shoes request each time. I also recognize that personal accountability has taken a Serious nose-dive in that same time, but do you real estate agents just let this kind of stuff slide? In what world is it acceptable to use the toilet in someone's home when you're viewing it for sale? And if you're going to, why not cover your tracks and return it to the state in which you found it (in our case, the toilet set was down when we left and up when we returned ~ simple).

Or am I just being too picky?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2018, 05:52 PM

14,494 posts, read 12,134,812 times
A few comments, FWIW... You can call and be upset about buyers moving or touching things, or not removing shoes.... but all that will be accomplished is making things awkward and hostile with that buyer and possibly turning them away. The bright side is, if they spent time sitting on the couch they were feeling comfortable and thinking and talking about it, and that's a good thing.

Also... it's a rural property. If someone needs to go to the bathroom, they need to go. We can frown on it all day long, but in the end, they're human beings, sometimes with children. There isn't always a choice to just ~wait~.

I realize it's an invasion of your home to have people there, but it's part of the process and I would grin and bear it and hope the next one buys it.

Old 11-20-2018, 06:19 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,515,458 times
I'm a buyer. From my perspective, sellers need to emotionally detach once they put a house on the market.

Old 11-20-2018, 07:00 PM

2,956 posts, read 2,345,141 times
Get over it and sell your house.

Most likely, as you say, you're over attached and when you invite strangers into your home someone might wear shoes, sit on the couch or use the toilet.

If you want to keep it mint, keep it off the market.

Old 11-20-2018, 07:56 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,657,996 times
I would be surprised at all of those things happening. You should stow away any valuables and take medicines out of medicine cabinets.

If you have booties and a note by the door and they are not complying, you could put that paper down that people put down for new homes . . .

Other than that, there is not much you can do.

Old 11-20-2018, 08:19 PM

6,873 posts, read 4,877,055 times
You could do For sale by owner. Then you would be the one showing it and you would know who was doing what. Or, install security cameras inside all the rooms.

Old 11-20-2018, 09:21 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,964,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Twist View Post
Or, install security cameras inside all the rooms.
And then what? Arrest them for illegal shoe-wearing and toilet use?

Obviously I'm being facetious, but really - what good would security cameras do, unless we were talking about people stealing from their house? As Diana said above, even confronting them (the potential buyers and/or their realtors) would likely result in losing a sale.

FYI: I personally always remove my shoes inside, whether it's my house or someone else's home; but sitting on the couch and using the toilet seem fairly benign, especially if you're running around looking at houses all day. I have arthritis and can't stand for long periods of time, so yeah, I might have to sit on the couch for a moment if my feet were hurting. I'd try not to muss it up, but really now. What's the big deal?

Old 11-20-2018, 10:06 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,558,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
My feathers are a bit ruffled, so this may come off a bit rantish. If so, just bear with me...

So, just listed my house (to which I have as much, or more, personal attachment as anyone does since I spent 8 months of 40 hour work-weeks restoring the property) and have had 2 showings in the ~10 days since listing. That's good. We're in a small rural area, my agent holds the key ~ no lock boxes and scheduled appointments in other words, and the one request we have is no shoes in the house. Not outlandish IMHO, pretty common for this area to take off shoes when entering homes (and there's a bench with shoe tray right at the front door). One last bit of maybe pertinent info, our house is perpetually "show ready", about all that's needed is to straighten the couch and lock up jewelry.

So the first showing I'm sure they removed shoes as it was raining. But several things in the house were amiss upon return. Door to our washing machine was closed (front-load, it's left open to mitigate mold), living room furniture was mussed up (pillows and blankets amiss) and our thermostat was turned way down (was set on 63 at the time of showing, 55 when I came back).

Second showing they clearly did NOT remove shoes as there was trash (leaf debris, mulch, dirt/grit) all over the floors and they used the bathroom.

This isn't my first rodeo, I've sold 3 other homes in the past decade and I don't recall dealing with this despite the same no shoes request each time. I also recognize that personal accountability has taken a Serious nose-dive in that same time, but do you real estate agents just let this kind of stuff slide? In what world is it acceptable to use the toilet in someone's home when you're viewing it for sale? And if you're going to, why not cover your tracks and return it to the state in which you found it (in our case, the toilet set was down when we left and up when we returned ~ simple).

You’re trying to sell. Most people don’t like taking off their shoes. Best thing to do is leave a bunch of shoe booties by the entry door. That’s what I do at my rentals. A sign stating if you do not want to remove your shoes please use shoe booties is nex5 to the booties.
I buy a big giant box of them and hav3 a trash can this way the booties don’t get overused from person to person. As far as the toilet...hey sometimes you gotta go. I don’t see that as a huge issue. Disinfect with Lysol if you’re a germaphobe.

Old 11-20-2018, 10:34 PM

23,310 posts, read 18,877,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post

It's possible that the realtor herding shoppers through your house might have thought they were being considerate by turning your thermostat down (they may assume no one was due to return to the house any time soon) to save energy and tidying up behind a peeking buyer who left your washing machine door ajar. Now if someone had obviously crashed down in the middle of a neatly-made bed I might be a little miffed. I wouldn't expect anyone to sweep away all traces they'd been there. I'd be glad they bothered to actually tour the house.

Old 11-20-2018, 10:43 PM

6,820 posts, read 11,553,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
You’re trying to sell. Most people don’t like taking off their shoes. Best thing to do is leave a bunch of shoe booties by the entry door. That’s what I do at my rentals. A sign stating if you do not want to remove your shoes please use shoe booties is nex5 to the booties.
I buy a big giant box of them and hav3 a trash can this way the booties don’t get overused from person to person. As far as the toilet...hey sometimes you gotta go. I don’t see that as a huge issue. Disinfect with Lysol if you’re a germaphobe.
If you have no where to sit in the entry, put a folding chair out there next to the booties. It’s hard to balance on one foot trying to put them on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate