Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2018, 05:57 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,243,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
if you pay cash upfront for a to-be-developed property/neighborhood, then you should be wise enough to know that it is extremely high risk. It sucks for all the older folks who bought into this dream, but they did allow the dream to supersede some solid due diligence.
Yep, that's why when I bought an apartment in Spain, I put the minimum required to finance it as I figured the bank would make sure it was legit...no issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2018, 06:24 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,022,258 times
When we bought our properties in the Carribean, we made sure that they both had clean and clear titles. We paid cash for our properties, but put a portion down with the understanding that once they were deemed clean and clear we would pay the balance. We also used an attornwy as well as a real estate agent. Due diligence is always key.....sounds like they got caught up in the dream of Paradise

Old 11-30-2018, 03:44 AM

216 posts, read 299,888 times
I'm not buying anything until its built!

I've bought homes before, but I haven't wanted to BUILD one yet. It just worries me about delays, work stoppages, increase in costs, etc.

Those poor people though

Old 11-30-2018, 06:47 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,760,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Lets call it for what it is, Belize is in CENTRAL AMERICA! That region has been unstable for years (Belize was one of the better areas though). How many people sent money WITHOUT even visiting the country? Too many "Discovery Channel TV shows" are giving people false hopes about fantasy retirement areas.

Puerto Rico has its own issues (huge debt, hurricane recovery), the Bahamas or other British Territories would be less risky than Belize.
I think Americans are choosing Costa Rica and Panama now, I think they both use American money there. There still is a risk. Although Panama is a tax haven. money launderer rumored, so it may be more protected but they have had Noriega before.

What kills me is when a home in a country costs $50K and then they build new ones and sell them for $400K to Americans.

Old 11-30-2018, 06:54 AM

17,310 posts, read 22,046,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unbalancedwood View Post
I'm not buying anything until its built!

I've bought homes before, but I haven't wanted to BUILD one yet. It just worries me about delays, work stoppages, increase in costs, etc.

Those poor people though
I'd bet if you dig deeper into the story there more than a few that thought this was a get rich quick scheme. People bought thinking they would "flip" the properties for big money. Greed can be blinding to red flags.

There was a project in 2005 I worked on that was all bad from the get go. Expensive, next to a cemetery and almost 90% "investors" were buying these homes. After meeting a few of these "investors" the common denominator was greed, they all felt entitled to a 100K profit like that was guaranteed. 3 of the people I met were retirees that had no intention of buying the homes to live in, they were told the properties would be resold days after closing so they had no plans for the upkeep costs (utilities, HOA fees, insurance etc). All
"hung on" way way way too long and all three lost 100-125K each. One guy lived in a 40K trailer yet bought a 400K house as an investment? He had a very expensive lesson.

Ironically the local realtor "expert" (super sleazy guy) was making money on the sales (commissions) then he was buying them from the bank after the foreclosures as investments which at that point they were 1/2 price!

Old 12-01-2018, 02:46 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,022,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
I think Americans are choosing Costa Rica and Panama now, I think they both use American money there. There still is a risk. Although Panama is a tax haven. money launderer rumored, so it may be more protected but they have had Noriega before.

What kills me is when a home in a country costs $50K and then they build new ones and sell them for $400K to Americans.
Why does it kill you? You do realize that that building cost and real value have nothing to do with other, right?

Old 12-04-2018, 05:36 AM

1,478 posts, read 1,514,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
I'd bet if you dig deeper into the story there more than a few that thought this was a get rich quick scheme. People bought thinking they would "flip" the properties for big money. Greed can be blinding to red flags.

There was a project in 2005 I worked on that was all bad from the get go. Expensive, next to a cemetery and almost 90% "investors" were buying these homes. After meeting a few of these "investors" the common denominator was greed, they all felt entitled to a 100K profit like that was guaranteed. 3 of the people I met were retirees that had no intention of buying the homes to live in, they were told the properties would be resold days after closing so they had no plans for the upkeep costs (utilities, HOA fees, insurance etc). All
"hung on" way way way too long and all three lost 100-125K each. One guy lived in a 40K trailer yet bought a 400K house as an investment? He had a very expensive lesson.

Ironically the local realtor "expert" (super sleazy guy) was making money on the sales (commissions) then he was buying them from the bank after the foreclosures as investments which at that point they were 1/2 price!
Sounds to me like that was his intention all along.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate