Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2019, 08:59 AM

172 posts, read 145,979 times

Advertisements

I have spoken with 2 realtors so far and have different opinions and timelines from each. I'm going to look for a third opinion but wanted to ask here for actual seller/buyer opinions.

We are in the midwest in an established neighborhood built in 80s. Mature trees, near a lake, very close to shops and there is lots of variety in home styles. We are in the oldest, smallest section with 2100 ft above, another 900 ft finished basement.

Our floors are laminate wood, luxury vinyl tile in kitchen and vinyl wood in basement. One realtor wants us to take out the tan/white/gray granite look laminate kitchen counter, about a $4k job, and keep the tile backsplash. He think we need granite or quartz. Many homes have granite and hardwoods in the neighborhood.

Another suggestion was to paint the whole house a taupe color to make the white trim and crown pop. Right now the main floor rooms are soft gray/blue or very pale green-gray.

We can pick and choose what to do and want to make informed choices. We hesitate on the counters mainly because it's hard to predict what someone else might want. I assume we will sell to a young family who want into the neighborhood and schools.

I know it's hard to comment on different markets and areas but curious how others are either getting ready to sell or what is a big turn off as a buyer. Thanks for any suggestions and advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2019, 09:07 AM

43,309 posts, read 77,154,614 times
Is your house immaculate and well-maintained?

Old 02-09-2019, 09:16 AM

4,514 posts, read 2,525,563 times
I'd paint any rooms with dark colors or not neutral colors. Leave counters alone, and price it accordingly.

Old 02-09-2019, 09:17 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,531,299 times
I would do neither. If your home is well maintained, granite and new paint are not worth the investment. Now days I know people who want only quartz counters so, why invest money when you can only guess what prospective buyers will like?

Old 02-09-2019, 09:17 AM

14,496 posts, read 12,128,212 times
If it looks clean and functional, I would be hesitant to replace anything just for fad or color.

Old 02-09-2019, 09:36 AM

4,621 posts, read 7,543,282 times
Years ago I would have agreed with some of the other agents suggesting you leave your home unchanged if it's clean and functional.

But younger buyers now don't necessarily have the vision to see what your home could be with a paint color change and lots of them want move in ready homes -- meaning they will not want to change out your kitchen counters.

So the agent that made those suggestions is giving you good advice to improve your chances of attracting the most number of buyers when you actually list your home for sale.

Old 02-09-2019, 01:34 PM

15,579 posts, read 40,450,935 times
The problem with counters is that people have specific taste. So what I would do is leave out three neutral samples of say quartz, and let the new buyer pick their color with an acceptable offer. Out here buyers like that, and then you aren't putting in something that people don't want. It makes you seem like reasonable sellers who want the new home buyers to be happy in the home.

If your paint colors are relatively neutral and on the lighter side, I wouldn't paint them taupe. Taupe is a darker color, and yes it makes white trim pop, but I find it too dark for most people's taste.

Old 02-09-2019, 02:22 PM

14,254 posts, read 14,750,142 times
I say let a potential buyer ask for something before you do anything. De Gustibus Non Est Disputandum.

Old 02-09-2019, 02:33 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,226,257 times
Unless you'd expect multiple offers the first day because demand >>>> supply, then I'd go with Silverfall's suggestion. It opens you up to paying the same amount in closing costs (instead of actually replacing the counters) that you may not have had to, but it should keep any buyers interested and not scared off even by the benign act of replacing counters.

Old 02-09-2019, 03:11 PM

11,130 posts, read 9,769,935 times
Make sure the house is clean, uncluttered, and smells good. Paint any weird or very dark colored rooms. Groom the front yard well and make sure the curb appeal is nice. Fix anything damaged or peeling. That's it. Let the new owenr pick their own new counter tops. You will likely pick something that a potential buyer might not like, and then that becomes a negative. Why waste your money on something they have a 50/50 chance of tearing out?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate