Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2019, 01:50 PM

7,731 posts, read 12,624,521 times

Advertisements

I did a thread on this years ago and now the chickens are coming home to roast. I've always HATED open concept homes!

Quote:
For decades, Open Concept, and the togetherness-loving, friend-filled lifestyle it was supposed to bring, has been a home buyers’ religion, the one true way to live. Go to Houzz, the home remodeling site, type in “open concept,” and up come 221,569 photos.

But now, experts say, people are starting to openly yearn for walls.

“Buyers are moving away from uninterrupted views,” said Loren Larsen, a real estate agent with Compass, in Boston, who is hearing from clients who don’t want their kitchens — and the dirty dishes — on display.

“The pendulum is swinging back,” said Bob Ernst, president of FBN Construction in Hyde Park. “The reality is that life can be loud.”

The Boston Globe: People in open concept homes are realizing the walls were there for a reason
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2019, 02:53 PM

7,246 posts, read 7,079,089 times
I think open concept is great for either families with little kids that must be watched during muli-tasking or for people who actually entertain a lot.

Neither one of those things apply to me.

The one thing I do like, tho, is that the kitchen isn't just some U shaped box out of the way of everyone else. Our last home had the kitchen and dining area open to each other, and I liked that. But it was separated from the living space, which was nice.

Old 03-15-2019, 03:10 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,764,116 times
I knew this would happen. Everything that's old is new again. I think it will take a while to get back to closed off kitchens but eventually that will be the new rage.

Old 03-15-2019, 03:53 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,988,738 times
Nobody has told the buyers in my market yet.

Old 03-15-2019, 04:01 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,289,591 times
I have lived in an open concept home for 15 years and am so tired of the kitchen in the living room. It would be better if the kitchen was squared off to the side, but it isn't. Plus, I will be watching TV and my husband comes downstairs and starts slamming cupboards which is really annoying when I have to mute the TV for a moment and yell at him to shut up. And the "great room" concept. So over it. Which is just a really long big room. Too much space for us who live here. I hope the less open concept takes hold so our next home will not be the same as we have now. If I could afford to, I would build it myself so I can have a say in what I want.

Old 03-15-2019, 04:50 PM

356 posts, read 176,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
I did a thread on this years ago and now the chickens are coming home to roast. I've always HATED open concept homes!
Well good thing we live where we can all make choices. And also, I suppose, come online to complain about others' choices.

Old 03-15-2019, 05:53 PM

3,444 posts, read 2,820,038 times
The only thing I didn't like about my open concept kitchen/living room was that there was no backsplash on the sink, which faced the living room and fantastic mountain views, so I would find water on the hardwoods on the back side of the sink where it had splashed, on the living room side. Every other part was wonderful.

Old 03-15-2019, 07:12 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,437,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
I have lived in an open concept home for 15 years and am so tired of the kitchen in the living room. It would be better if the kitchen was squared off to the side, but it isn't. Plus, I will be watching TV and my husband comes downstairs and starts slamming cupboards which is really annoying when I have to mute the TV for a moment and yell at him to shut up. And the "great room" concept. So over it. Which is just a really long big room. Too much space for us who live here. I hope the less open concept takes hold so our next home will not be the same as we have now. If I could afford to, I would build it myself so I can have a say in what I want.
Yep loving my galley kitchen.

Old 03-15-2019, 07:22 PM

14,251 posts, read 14,745,966 times
The OP quoted from New England realtors/builders. Be careful. New Englanders always liked small, little windows, dark rooms which in my opinion (and I am from there) sucked.

Old 03-15-2019, 11:09 PM

595 posts, read 1,559,159 times
I still prefer my open concept house....sunlight all over and just feels refreshing to be in. I have no desire for compact rooms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate