Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 09:44 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,764,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
if i wanted to rent anything out it would be a separate apartment . not someone living in my house like a roommate .
Yeah, I'm gonna buy Trump Tower so I can rent it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2019, 09:51 AM

106,691 posts, read 108,856,202 times
you can have it ...... yeeech

Old 03-19-2019, 01:19 PM

33 posts, read 34,655 times
I had one for about 27 years, worked out great. I go visit him now since he got his own house.

Old 03-19-2019, 01:29 PM

32,658 posts, read 48,053,996 times
Screen very carefully, and since you will have the person in your home with you, in addition to things like reference checks and criminal background, you need to find out things like what kind if music they listen to, what their work hours are, how many nights a week their partner will be there for noisy sex, if they have children who will be there on the weekends, how much they drink and party and where they do it.....

Only do a month to month agreement so you can get them out if they drive you nuts.

Old 03-19-2019, 01:34 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,764,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Screen very carefully, and since you will have the person in your home with you, in addition to things like reference checks and criminal background, you need to find out things like what kind if music they listen to, what their work hours are, how many nights a week their partner will be there for noisy sex, if they have children who will be there on the weekends, how much they drink and party and where they do it.....

Only do a month to month agreement so you can get them out if they drive you nuts.
I would stipulate no overnight stays.

Old 03-19-2019, 03:01 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petsandgardens View Post
A few more ideas... you need to tell them the kitchen expectations. No cooking in the room...unless maybe you allow a microwave. Think about whether you want appliances in the room like microwave and fridge because you'll pay for electric. We haven't had just one room rented but have had apts in a large house. A friend in the same area had rooms for rent in a nice large house but only one kitchen and the microwaves, oven, fridge in that kitchen only. You should teach them how to work a fire extinguisher. Put in a smoke detector in every room. Keep your private quarters secure.

I don't know if this would come up if you just rented out one room. Some places are fine if it's for a student in a college area for example where lots of neighbors make a little extra that way and feed the poor kids. But you could need dedicated parking, a special use or conditional use permit. There could be a max allowed for how many can occupy that one room.

It can be a good thing though.

Let us know how you do.
I wouldn’t allow that. People will leave half eaten food, the house will smell,of whatever they are maicrowaving. And I guarantee you they will cook something in the middle of the night eat part of it then leave in in their trash in the room where it will rot for a week.

I would set up a fridge in the garage. Everyone will have shelf for their stuff. Same with some basic cabinets in the garage everyone e can have a cabinet.

Kitchen is a common area and you CLEAN UP AFTER YOU EAT/COOK no exceptions.

Living room is a common area. Needs to be kept clean.
Same with the common bathroom. All toiletries are to be kept in your room.

I would make it like dorm rooms rules.

Everyone throws out their own trash/polices up after themselves. Can’t keep the place clean? Ok move on out.

Rent is due on the first of the month before 5pm. After that it’s late and they get penalized.

Don’t relent on the rules. Remember you make one exception for one you make it for all. Dont allow drama in the house. Anyone not happy is free to move out.

Only do month to month rent. Anyone who is worried about getting their rent raises you can write in the lease guaranteed no rent raise for xx months

Again dont let drama get in the house. Don’t get romantically involved with any roomates. I don’t care how hot he or she is. Dont get involved. As soon as you do they will expect special privileges

Old 03-19-2019, 03:14 PM

6,341 posts, read 4,908,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
I am thinking of renting out a room in my home.

You will live to regret it.

Former landlord here. I had enough grief from tenants across town. The thought of having one in my house gives me the heebie jeebies.

Ask your best friend to hit you in the head with a 2x4 until you get some sense knocked into it.

Old 03-19-2019, 03:29 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post

Former landlord here. I had enough grief from tenants across town. The thought of having one in my house gives me the heebie jeebies.

Ask your best friend to hit you in the head with a 2x4 until you get some sense knocked into it.

Heh heh heh. My wife sometimes hits me with a frying pan. 2x4s leave marks.

Old 03-19-2019, 04:57 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,458,170 times
Ooooohhhh no!!!
However did I run my boarding house ..without a background screen.?
Ohhh I know...
They were college students going for their masters.
Absolutely zero regrets. We had house rules that we each regarded.
Didn't have insurance on them ...and they weren't of the character to sue. Guess educated folks realize if they slip on the ice..it was a physics challenge.
We did know them prior since my husband was their student teacher. So there was that.
The one character we rented to was a hoot! He was a wannabe musician. Loved that he was a free bird ...easy going...and when his band practiced...we got a free concert. College towns tend to not mind music in the evenings....
Our home was on frat row....I would have found it hypocritical if I got fined for non relative housing...

Old 03-19-2019, 05:20 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,485,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post

Lol!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate