Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2019, 03:24 PM

89 posts, read 71,073 times

Advertisements

I see a lot of advertising on TV by companies offering to buy your house. If anyone here has any insights into this, please share with us.

I am particularly interested in the price discovery. Do they, in general, follow some type of algorithm on price? How is their typical offer to purchase your house compares to the county assessment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2019, 03:43 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSLover View Post
I see a lot of advertising on TV by companies offering to buy your house.
If anyone here has any insights into this...
How bad do you need to sell? In a real hurry?
Have a real mess of a property no sane person will buy as is? No cash to do the work?

How low can you go? They'll still offer less.

Old 03-24-2019, 08:45 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,741,423 times
Someone posted about this awhile back and had a good experience.

Old 03-25-2019, 02:48 PM

4,615 posts, read 7,535,442 times
Excellent article on the topic of these house buying companies:
https://www.thebalance.com/we-buy-ho...r-real-1799045

From the article: The strategy used by cash-for-homes companies is to negotiate the lowest price possible for your home. On average, they'll offer about 65 percent of a home's fair market value.

If the convenience of selling to one of these companies outweighs the net price you'll receive, be sure to find an established company with decent reviews as there are a lot of scammers out there.

Old 03-25-2019, 04:22 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,754,485 times
Quote:
I see a lot of advertising on TV by companies offering to buy your house. If anyone here has any insights into this, please share with us.

I am particularly interested in the price discovery. Do they, in general, follow some type of algorithm on price? How is their typical offer to purchase your house compares to the county assessment?
They are not in business to do you any favors so I would think they would offer low prices to people desperate to sell.

Old 02-22-2024, 09:44 AM

6,613 posts, read 16,579,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine Rules View Post
Excellent article on the topic of these house buying companies:
https://www.thebalance.com/we-buy-ho...r-real-1799045

From the article: The strategy used by cash-for-homes companies is to negotiate the lowest price possible for your home. On average, they'll offer about 65 percent of a home's fair market value.

If the convenience of selling to one of these companies outweighs the net price you'll receive, be sure to find an established company with decent reviews as there are a lot of scammers out there.
Bad link!

Old 02-22-2024, 10:11 AM

43,280 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Bad link!
Works for me, both in the original post and your repost.

Old 02-22-2024, 12:31 PM

5,977 posts, read 7,373,473 times
Quote:

I have been engaged with OpenDoor on a property that I own and am in the process of selling.

Figure whatever they offer you will be less than market price. In the case I have, the offers have actually been pretty decent - but - they’ll get 7%-10% in fees right out of the gate. Then, they’ll inspect the property and come back with deducts for all the work they need to make the property marketable (in their mind.)

I have shot them down twice on this. The repairs they suggested were primarily cosmetic, like paint. How many people have moved into a new home and not painted? Even just one room?

They took the paint off.

They said the wood floors (real oak tongue and groove, not engineered floor) needed refinishing. I had a flooring contractor come in before offering the house to check the floors and take care of some gaps that had developed over time. He said they looked fine and still had many years of use left in them and wrote this in their report, a copy of which I provided to OpenDoor. Understand that the amount they had for refinishing floors was exorbitant.

I told them to justify their claim. They said, “Our inspector said they need to be refinished.” I told them that I needed to see specific issues or have damage or the rationale for replacement. They hemmed and hawed for a bit and then said they wouldn’t back down on the floors.

I thanked them and told them “No thanks!” They came back several times, each of which I reiterated that the floor issue was a dealbreaker and not justified. They dug in their heels and passed.

No problem, Good Day!

Ironically, they called again today. I told the person calling that unless they were ready to drop the floor “repairs” we had nothing to speak about and to not call me again unless they were dropping the floor repairs. They started in on all the expected “You’re going to regret this”, etc., etc.

So that’s what it’s like working with someone like OpenDoor. Not a bad thing if you are looking for a quick sale and can take less than market. In my case their price was very realistic - not market, but probably about 5-10% below. I’m sure they make their money beating sellers up on repairs. Whether or not they actually do them I have no idea. I’m guessing they probably do the minimum amount of work to bring the property to market.

I did everything to prepare the property for market and know what my comps are, they’re recent and very close to the same as my property. I’m prepared to go with a flat fee listing service, but I figured I would try OD. I’m in no hurry, so it looks like we’ll go to the market with MLS and a flat fee.

RM

Old 02-22-2024, 05:59 PM

6,816 posts, read 11,540,499 times
Quote:

I don’t believe anyone has pointed out that the assessed value of your home for tax purposes may not have any correlation to the appraised value of your home for a purchase transaction.

Old 02-22-2024, 08:44 PM

10,300 posts, read 6,832,149 times
Quote:

Sure, figure 55-60 cents on the dollar. (Not kidding.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate