Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2019, 10:05 PM

3 posts, read 4,358 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I am first time seller currently having trouble agreeing to some requested repairs. Would appreciate some insight.

These are the requests

1. Replace hot water heater - 10 year old electric water heater, had a little black soot above TPR valve which I called three plumbers about and no one knew the cause, but water heater is fully functional, no signs of failure, rust, leakage, temp issues.

2. fix/paint ceiling, document cause for leak - old 1x4 foot stain on ceiling. entire roof had been replaced after the stain (buyer is aware). this is a dry stain with no active leak for the last 7 years. from my perspective, cosmetic.

3. provide copy of hvac service records, service hvac unit if not done in 6 months - HVAC completely functional, no issues during inspection

4. repair and paint bathroom ceiling - inspection says mold/water dmg, but referring to an area (1 inch diameter circle) where i used a bathroom rod that peeled a little of the paint off. no obvious mold that I can see

I did not want to make any of the requested repairs or paint because everything is fully functional, it isn't a new unit, and there are no active leaks or mold issues. Can someone please offer their opinion? Am I being unreasonable not agreeing to make repairs that I feel are unnecessary? I was under the belief that reasonable issues for me to fix are the major ones (structural, mold, active leaks, etc), something along the lines of this:
[url]https://www.maxrealestateexposure.com/home-inspection-repair-requests/[/url]

EDIT: I'll have to make the paint touchups as part of the sale, I'm okay with it. Main issue is the water heater and HVAC servicing.

Many thanks in advance,
c

Last edited by cwgs5e; 04-02-2019 at 10:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2019, 10:09 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,815,515 times
I would not fix a damn thing.

May consider if it had to do with them receiving loan approval, but other than that, a big "no".

But that is just me, if you have urgency to sell, you may think differently.

Old 04-02-2019, 10:18 PM

11,826 posts, read 34,433,423 times
What kind of market are you in? Did the buyer offer over asking? Did you offer to explain the above? Do you HAVE to sell?

Old 04-02-2019, 10:26 PM

231 posts, read 239,536 times
Except for the request to replace the hot water heater that all seems like petty cosmetic stuff... so, I'd say no.

As for the hot water heater... hell no.

Old 04-02-2019, 10:32 PM

This is in the northeast. I do not absolutely have to sell, but I am moving cross country and would have to rent it if I do not. It is a direct sale, no commission, the buyer wants to immediately rent the unit (he owns all the other units in the bldg). I realized that in the agreement there is a clause "all paints and holes patched/cleaned", so I don't think I can get out of that one. I am okay with that, should be perhaps $200 to patch it.

My biggest issue is the water heater, which would cost me around $1k to replace, with the argument that it is past its life cycle (6 year warranty, now at 10 years). The HVAC they want to be serviced or offer them $350. They are telling me both are common and what they would have recommended to any buyer. I should mention the buyer owns the other units in this small building, and so more experienced and with his team handling all of the paperwork.

I have already explained everything to them. Their response is they want to water heater replaced and the hvac serviced. I am okay doing the painting and touching up as i've already agreed to it (stupid me).

Old 04-02-2019, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
What kind of market are you in? Did the buyer offer over asking? Did you offer to explain the above? Do you HAVE to sell?
thanks for your response, see my reply

Old 04-03-2019, 03:16 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
Raise the price as your counter. And demand a non-refundable deposit to cover the costs.

Old 04-03-2019, 05:06 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,219,988 times
You didn't advertise the house as having a new water heater. They are buying a used house with used systems and fixtures. They knew that. Sounds like the stains were plainly visible when they viewed the house. They made their offer with full knowledge of the stains. I wouldn't do any of the requests but I might offer a small dollar amount in lieu of repairs just so they can feel like they got something. I've seen people walk away from a deal over nothing but pride.

Old 04-03-2019, 05:13 AM

307 posts, read 255,678 times
I agree with the other posters...you shouldn't have to replace something that is functioning just b/c it's old. Maybe have the HVAC serviced but that's all I would do.

Old 04-03-2019, 05:55 AM

9,639 posts, read 6,017,180 times
Northeast is a broad statement.

Are you in a booming part of the Northeast? Or are you in the middle of nowhere?

I'm in Southern Maine, a sellers market. I routinely have gotten multiple offers within 48 hrs, often closing above asking price. With a list like that, I'd tell someone their problem or move onto the next person.

You're selling to the guy in the building without really exploring the value of your property? Are you sure you're getting fair market value for the unit to even begin with?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate