Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2019, 08:10 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,733,087 times

Advertisements

We had one in a rental house in Virginia years ago. I made my husband poop down there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2019, 09:14 PM

41,965 posts, read 75,205,836 times
My parents' house has a freestanding toilet in the basement. Not in Pittsburgh, nowhere near a steel mill, built in 1955. Plumbing for additional fixtures is roughed in, but neither the previous owners nor my parents built a full bath around the toilet.

I've seen similar setups - some enclosed, some out in the open - all over the country, in houses of varying ages.

My grandparents' house, in a coal mining town in Somerset County 50 miles east of Pittsburgh, didn't have a toilet in the basement, but did have an open shower in the corner of the basement. For the longest time, there was a clawfoot tub down there, too, and that's where the whole family took showers and baths. The toilet was a water closet on the second floor, and we brushed our teeth at the kitchen sink.

Old 04-06-2019, 06:33 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,220,959 times
I've seen many basement man bathrooms roughed in by many of the european immigrant families, including mine. These are usually unfinished basements etc.
As someone said upthread, where the man comes in and cleans up.

Old 04-06-2019, 08:33 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
There would often be a utility sink there, too, where they could wash up.

They could leave work boots and dirty uniforms in the basement and, yes, take that after-work dump.
Is that a thing? Should I be taking an after-work dump?

Old 04-06-2019, 11:56 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,358,901 times
My grandmother had a toilet in the basement right by the washing machine as well. But I hadn't heard that term before for it.

Old 04-06-2019, 12:14 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,433,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
Actually, they weren't designed for the coal workers coming home, at least not out here. They were designed for sewage backup. Back in the day when sewer lines were first being used and improved, they backed up on a regular basis. Having a random toilet in the basement meant any raw sewage backup went down there as opposed to backing up into the toilet upstairs. Gross, but less gross than having it in your living space.
Yep, this is the reason. Coal miners did use them after coming home and cleaning up, but that wasn't the reason they were there in the first place.

Old 04-06-2019, 02:32 PM

3,546 posts, read 3,116,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Is that a thing? Should I be taking an after-work dump?

Your work conditions might be different. My guess is there really isn't a place to do that in a coal mine.

Old 04-06-2019, 02:46 PM

4 posts, read 3,534 times
Default Pittsburg Black and Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
I had never heard that term before but I've seen them a few times out here.
I love Pittsburg Blackened or black and blue steak but the toilet I'm sorry I missed it....

Old 04-06-2019, 02:54 PM

4 posts, read 3,534 times
Default Yuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthofHere View Post
Yep, this is the reason. Coal miners did use them after coming home and cleaning up, but that wasn't the reason they were there in the first place.
I'd rather go with the coal worker. Although when I was growing up we had a coal shute into the basement and a wringer washer. The coal shute was scary and I can tell you first hand that wringer was hard on fingers! But a toilet actually would have come in handy the washer was too high....

Old 04-06-2019, 03:19 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,270,060 times
There was one in my grandparents' house in NE Ohio- one wall was the back of the basement, another was the wall dividing the furnace area from the laundry area (I still remember Grandma's wringer washer) and the third was a cement block partition, with a shower curtain over the front. Nasty, but there was no toilet on the main floor (back then they weren't considered polite enough to put on the main floor and it was upstairs with the 3 bedrooms) and there were 5 kids in Mom's family so I'm sure they were glad to have it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate