Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2019, 06:17 PM

7,103 posts, read 5,986,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
You obviously dont negotiate much.

I never said you don’t have to pay for services. Read back my posts. I’ve said it before you can diy or hire someone.

A mechanic repair can easily be gotten cheaper by calling around. Most mechanics use a job rate book but if you bring cash or call around you can get wildly different pricing. I’ve walked in gotten a price and then asked if they did a cash discount. I’ve called dealers and gotten different pricing on the same work.
I’m doing a kitchen remodel and I got a granite quote for 4,000 bucks. I asked if there was a cash discount. Got it down to $3400.
I’ve gone to my dentist and negotiated a price on some stuff that wasn’t covered by insurance. She discounted the work.
My regular doctor I don’t need to negotiate, I have insurance. It costs me $10 to see the doctor.

You don’t need to be a licensed agent to sell a house. You can take the course to learn the process and diy. I’ve seen what some realtors are capable of. Sure it’s work and you have to have some skills but for the most part if you have a brain it’s doable by a layman. . I’m not a agent because I can make a hell of a lot more money in what I do. And it’s a hell of a lot more steady with less bs and headaches.

There are very few things that cannot be negotiated.
Agreed, and no I don't negotiate much, I'm what you call a laydown. I pay people what their asking for the most part, joys of being a successful layman I suppose, I don't feel the need to save money on transactions in order to feel good about the transaction. For the record I average 6.4% on the listing side (plus a $695 transaction fee) and 3.25% on the buy side. People pay more for better service, that's why the Ritz Carlton exists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2019, 10:26 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
Agreed, and no I don't negotiate much, I'm what you call a laydown. I pay people what their asking for the most part, joys of being a successful layman I suppose, I don't feel the need to save money on transactions in order to feel good about the transaction. For the record I average 6.4% on the listing side (plus a $695 transaction fee) and 3.25% on the buy side. People pay more for better service, that's why the Ritz Carlton exists.

True but I bet you can walk in there and get the same service with a discount. Way I see it I’m still paying for a service and I’m not getting a lesser service I’m just getting it for less cost. There is absolutely nothing wrong with asking for discounts. I’m not asking for a discount to make myself feel better about the transaction. If it’s a good enough deal I pay it and move on, if I feel it’s more than I want to pay I ask if there is a discount. If there isn’t I either pay or get more quotes.
You wanna pay full pop...that’s your business

Old 07-07-2019, 02:14 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,035,149 times
Quote:
All that paperwork is to protect you, inspections protect the buyer's interests. I'm happy you found a buyer who's willing to drop his load of cash on you without any sort of protection, that would never happen if it were my cash, I'd want to know what I was getting into before taking that risk. Just curious, did your current buyer even inspect the property during a diligence period?

We gave him copies of all the disclosures, he's seen the property and we've given him copies of all the same types of paperwork we had when the buyer's Realtor was involved. The second buyer isn't getting inspections since he can pretty much see everything for himself. This is an old single wall house in Hawaii, there's nothing hidden since there's nowhere to hide it.

He likes it for the location and views, he can fix things and is totally okay with the 'as is' condition.

It's going through an escrow and title company and there's an attorney to draw up the papers.

Old 07-07-2019, 02:22 AM

106,680 posts, read 108,856,202 times
Quote:
when we put our house up for sale we offered an extra 1% to the broker if our house sold in 90 days ...that was 7% ...we wanted him concentrating on showing our house and not the ones surrounding us ... it worked .

Old 07-07-2019, 02:24 AM

106,680 posts, read 108,856,202 times
Quote:
when we put our house up for sale we offered an extra 1% to the broker if our house sold in 90 days ...that was 7% ...we wanted him concentrating on showing our house and not the ones surrounding us ... it worked .

many homes are still unsold since 2012 because the area lost money in real estate . in fact it is still not back to where we sold in 2012 ...

Old 07-07-2019, 06:02 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,986,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
We gave him copies of all the disclosures, he's seen the property and we've given him copies of all the same types of paperwork we had when the buyer's Realtor was involved. The second buyer isn't getting inspections since he can pretty much see everything for himself. This is an old single wall house in Hawaii, there's nothing hidden since there's nowhere to hide it.

He likes it for the location and views, he can fix things and is totally okay with the 'as is' condition.

It's going through an escrow and title company and there's an attorney to draw up the papers.
It sounds like your educated enough on the way a RE transaction is conducted and can handle it. Good luck with your closing and congrats! Most people don't have the same knowledge level you do and choose to leave it up to the pros to guide them.

Old 07-07-2019, 01:29 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,768,929 times
A few things that are not being considered when thinking commission.

1....An experienced Realtor, is going to take into consideration the total percent of commission they will receive. If instead of 1.5% of the selling price someone will pay them 1%, they simply show other homes that will earn them 1.5%.

2....A listing office, cannot afford to put the time and the same advertising into selling a home for a short commission, that they put into one with a regular commission. Their expenses are so high to be in the business, they are going to put the time, advertising, etc. into the homes that will bring them enough to make a profit.

Old 07-07-2019, 03:13 PM

43,297 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
A few things that are not being considered when thinking commission.

1....An experienced Realtor, is going to take into consideration the total percent of commission they will receive. If instead of 1.5% of the selling price someone will pay them 1%, they simply show other homes that will earn them 1.5%.

2....A listing office, cannot afford to put the time and the same advertising into selling a home for a short commission, that they put into one with a regular commission. Their expenses are so high to be in the business, they are going to put the time, advertising, etc. into the homes that will bring them enough to make a profit.
This is tired old crapola.
No ethical, skilled, or honest buyers agent would decline to show a property because of the cobroke amount.

Old 07-07-2019, 04:12 PM

14,249 posts, read 14,745,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
This is tired old crapola.
No ethical, skilled, or honest buyers agent would decline to show a property because of the cobroke amount.
Mike

I am afraid the public thinks that even if not a practice of yours.

Old 07-07-2019, 08:00 PM

43,297 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Mike

I am afraid the public thinks that even if not a practice of yours.
May be, but any decent agent will work hard against that crap. Unethical behaviors and lies undermine agents and consumers.

If there is a shortfall in commission from that which is expected and specified in an agency agreement, the ethical and honest agent will clarify that point with the client and show the house with the client aware they may be on the hook for some commission money.
It is our job, our responsibility, to help clients make informed decisions, not to lie to them and blow smoke up their butts.

Last edited by MikeJaquish; 07-07-2019 at 08:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate