Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2019, 04:18 PM

14,488 posts, read 12,114,400 times

Advertisements

Lots of times if there's one, hurriedly taken picture of the exterior, taken from inside the car... and no interior pictures... it's a foreclosure with an uncooperative tenant or squatter, and that's why it's so cheap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2019, 04:19 PM

51,654 posts, read 25,828,130 times
Multiple shots of the same thing.

Photo series starts with something besides the exterior.

Out of focus, odd angles, poorly done photos.

Old 07-08-2019, 10:39 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,774,235 times
The thing that drives me INSANE, is mishandling of the curtains. I'm talking about multi-million-Dollar houses and apartments, whose owners have had the very best decorators. The decorators, of course, used the very best fabric, the very best passementerie and hardware, and the best installers. Then, some scumbag realtor from the slums, comes in and ties curtains which cost thousands-per-window, into tacky little ponytails - hanging in the middle of the windows, rather than at the sides. As someone who's paid for a lot of fine curtains, I become so angry, I want to KILL. I can imagine having that happening to me, and my silk brocatelle.

Too, you can imagine how the Owners and their Decorators feel about seeing that - out for the world to view. The Decorator cannot stand guard during photoshoots. And I suppose that the staff has decamped for the new residence. So, nobody is there to stop these idiots from imposing their slum aesthetics upon houses they have no business selling.

Most prominent in my memory, was a 55-million-Dollar oceanfront in Southampton. It was decorated in the way you'd expect from someone who's a second generation member of "The Beach Club", and a Miss Porter's School grad - the longtime owner of a duplex in the best Candela Co-op on Park Avenue. Genteel... quirky... eclectic... But something was very wrong at the windows - throwing perception of the entire residence off, entirely. Some moron had gone in, and done strange things to the curtains.

In an era when proofs can be sent for vetting, electronically - instantly - to Decorators or Owners (or maybe the person at the realty firm who's got some taste and class) - there's no excuse for this.

Old 07-09-2019, 04:17 AM

6,589 posts, read 4,977,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHNot4Me View Post
What I would like to see in every RE listing is a floorplan of each floor of the house with dimensions included.

Kinda like what apartment complexes use on their websites.
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
This, x1000

I see this once in awhile and wish more would do it - what room am I looking at?! I know the basic floorpans of many old houses and the pix are posted completely out of order.

I had a great idea for a friend who does real estate photography: make the floorpan clickable to pictures of that room. They said they actually offered that service but no one wanted to pay it.

As for the kitchen and bathrooms, funny thing is, when those pix are missing they are usually kitchens and bathrooms I'd like - original!

Old 07-09-2019, 07:55 AM

1,847 posts, read 833,102 times
At the end of last year there appeared to be an investor selling off all of there rental properties. It honestly looked like they had giving an early 2000's disposable camera to who ever was staying there and told them to take the pictures.
Living rooms/bed rooms full of clothes, toys, and furniture to the point that you couldn't tell what the floor looked like.
Multiple photo's in multiple properties with kids, the entire family, and pets just chilling.
A photo of the garage with around 2-4 feet of trash from wall to wall.
Photo's with clearly broke / junker cars in the driveway and one with the car on the front yard.
The occasional photo with a broken window or whole in the wall in the background.
A photo of a hallway with no doors open and not lights on. Spooky

They were cheaper properties for the area (150-180,000), but still can't figure out why they would even bother posting some of the pictures.

Old 07-09-2019, 08:57 AM

14,488 posts, read 12,114,400 times
Rentals are completely different animal. Neither the owner nor the photographer nor the realtor have any right to touch the tenant’s stuff. So if you have a messy tenant there’s really no choice but to photograph it as is. And you photograph it so that people know what to expect. It is what it is. Question, if you don’t think they should show the pictures…How do you think people would feel if they drove a couple hours expecting to find a tidy house and open the door to a disaster scene? I don’t think they’d be happy.

Critics complain if there’s only one picture, and they complain if people show the mess. I think if I was the listing agent on a house like that I would choose to just show what’s there. That’s what people are going to see if they come to look. Real estate isn’t always glamorous shots of nice staged properties. :-)

Old 07-09-2019, 02:41 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,898,284 times
Many times if there's a renter, you're asked to make an appointment to see the residence because owners really don't want you bothering the renter. And I can see why. It's bad enough to be trying to find a new place to live, having your stuff in boxes and all over the place, without having potential buyers knocking on the door asking to walk through your house. Also, if I were the renter, I'd be very leery of opening the door to people I didn't know if they weren't with the landlord. Plus, as a renter, I don't think I'd want my own stuff on display for the world to see, especially if I have a contract that that's my private residence until the end of the month.

So that's why you see only the outside of a house on some listings.

Old 07-09-2019, 05:01 PM

30,527 posts, read 16,226,596 times
I agree with not showing the furniture, unless it's included in the sale. The sofa may be comfy as all get out but I'd rather see the floor underneath it.

On the internet, showing the same photo 2 or 3 times and counting them as 2 or 3 photos. If they don't show something different, it's still the same photo.

Old 07-11-2019, 04:59 PM

3,006 posts, read 1,493,228 times
https://terriblerealestateagentphotos.com/

Old 07-12-2019, 06:15 AM

723 posts, read 571,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nattering Heights View Post
And I thought MY house looked bad. HAHAHA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate