Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2019, 12:18 PM

10,889 posts, read 7,382,548 times

Advertisements

Not quite the same but similar...
A friend got a grant from the city to fix up her historic house, then rented it out. Took them a while to notice, but they insisted she live in it or repay the grant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2019, 12:34 PM

4,514 posts, read 2,522,191 times
Its fraud and subject to fines and jail. Huge fines.
And lenders do occasionally check. We bought a home to be owner occupied but were remodeling before moving in. Due to a tile defect we had to re order all floor tile which delayed installing kitchen cabinets. Someone stopped by from the lender at around day 65 wanting to know if we were living there.

Old 08-02-2019, 02:28 PM

11,826 posts, read 34,430,278 times
As long as you intend to live there, there is no fraud. If you only planned on living there short term, then yes, you are committing mortgage fraud.

Old 08-02-2019, 04:33 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,433,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucntcme View Post
Say I go to a bank and they pre approve me for 97% LTV Personal living property and 3 months later i rent it out. I dont live in it but I make all the payments.

Do the banks care?

I want to use household debt as a hedge against inflation, and should a deflation recession occur, I would want to continue to pay off the mortgage without forcelosing on home, which will happen if i burn all my cash reserves on 20% down payment.
No. Make sure there's nothing about perjury in the contract. But fraud requires you to receive something material above and beyond what you would have normally received. A gain. A loan is not a gain. A loan must be paid back in full, whether it's 80% of the purchase price, or 97%.

They just want their money. This has little to do with you actually residing in the home and not profiting off of it being a rental. They say this because they want a reason not to extend you a second loan on the same terms.

Old 08-02-2019, 05:09 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,503,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
No. Make sure there's nothing about perjury in the contract. But fraud requires you to receive something material above and beyond what you would have normally received. A gain. A loan is not a gain. A loan must be paid back in full, whether it's 80% of the purchase price, or 97%.

They just want their money. This has little to do with you actually residing in the home and not profiting off of it being a rental. They say this because they want a reason not to extend you a second loan on the same terms.
Nope. Bad advice.

Occupancy fraud is real. https://www.investopedia.com/terms/o/occupancyfraud.asp

Old 08-02-2019, 05:15 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,433,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Nope. Bad advice.

Occupancy fraud is real. https://www.investopedia.com/terms/o/occupancyfraud.asp
I wonder if the lenders get their underwritten guarantee for FHA/USDA if they decide to call the loan and get exactly what they think they're going to get: $0.

Old 08-02-2019, 08:49 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,066,509 times
Quote:
Investment loans generally have higher interest rates AND require higher down payments than loans for owner-occupied properties. Fraudulently buying a house as an owner-occupied property at a lower interest rate and with a minuscule deposit are both material benefits.

In addition, insurance for a rental property is different from homeowner's insurance. If the OP fraudulently rented out the property and something went wrong where she needed to use the insurance on the property, she'd be out of luck.

I actually rent out a single-family house that I bought as an owner-occupied residence -- the difference is, I LIVED THERE for 9 years before I made it into a rental! OP, just live there for a year (that's typically what's required), then rent it out.

==========

I'm always amazed when posters come here and say "I plan to break the law. Is that OK?" I'm even more amazed when other posters chime in with advice about how to do it.

Old 08-02-2019, 11:15 PM

10,347 posts, read 8,564,711 times
Amazing how many people feel it's okay to commit fraud as long as you don't get caught or can bend the facts by lying saying you intended to live there.

Old 08-03-2019, 02:33 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,503,206 times
Quote:
I wonder if the lenders get their underwritten guarantee for FHA/USDA if they decide to call the loan and get exactly what they think they're going to get: $0.
None of that has anything to do with telling a bold-faced lie.

Old 08-03-2019, 05:43 AM

8,573 posts, read 12,405,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
Amazing how many people feel it's okay to commit fraud as long as you don't get caught or can bend the facts by lying saying you intended to live there.
I guess that's the age we live in. Too many people playing follow the "leader".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate