Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2019, 08:58 PM

51,654 posts, read 25,828,130 times

Advertisements

Friend had the living room and dining room staged, but not the rest of the house. The bedrooms and family room were empty. She said she thought it was well worth it as it gave her home an upscale feel.

When we sold our last home, the realtor gave us two hours of consultation with the stager. We already decluttered and painted/fixed things, so I thought she was going to come through and say, "Oh I really don't have any suggestions." Ha ha! She had at least a half a dozen suggestions for every room and they were all right on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2019, 09:18 PM

6,818 posts, read 11,548,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Friend had the living room and dining room staged, but not the rest of the house. The bedrooms and family room were empty. She said she thought it was well worth it as it gave her home an upscale feel.

When we sold our last home, the realtor gave us two hours of consultation with the stager. We already decluttered and painted/fixed things, so I thought she was going to come through and say, "Oh I really don't have any suggestions." Ha ha! She had at least a half a dozen suggestions for every room and they were all right on.
Last time I sold I got the complimentary staging consultation, too. And I wondered what she would come up with, since I think I have pretty good taste. That woman had me scribbling notes for 45 minutes straight! Some of her ideas were a tad over the top, but most were very good (I did adopt all of them). I particularly liked her taking the glassware out of my 2 glass front kitchen cabinets and putting white dishes in there instead. “The glasses just get lost.” Can’t argue with her....sold the house in two weeks.

Old 08-03-2019, 09:33 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
I am always baffled by buyers who actually care about these things.

Old 08-04-2019, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
Last time I sold I got the complimentary staging consultation, too. And I wondered what she would come up with, since I think I have pretty good taste. That woman had me scribbling notes for 45 minutes straight! Some of her ideas were a tad over the top, but most were very good (I did adopt all of them). I particularly liked her taking the glassware out of my 2 glass front kitchen cabinets and putting white dishes in there instead. “The glasses just get lost.” Can’t argue with her....sold the house in two weeks.
Same here, though it took us three weeks or so.

She helped us see the big picture as well as the details. Said our goal was to create an overall impression for our target buyers. Which she explained would be a couple because even though the home was large enough for a family, we only had one bathroom upstairs. (100 year old house.) Sure enough, a couple bought our home.

One of her recommendations was that we get rid of our dresser in the master bedroom and put in a comfy chair and lamp. I asked whether people would wonder where they were going to keep their clothes as the closet was small. She said that they would likely turn one of the other bedrooms into a closet. But it made no difference, as what they would remember was that the bedroom was spacious enough to be a retreat with a sitting area.

When our grown kids saw the listing photos, they all asked why we had not lived like this all along, that they barely recognized the place.

Old 08-04-2019, 06:37 AM

13,056 posts, read 18,121,249 times
My first realtor said to me, "I want to buy a house empty, but I want to sell a house decorated.". I looked puzzled and she explained that with an empty home you get to see the flaws because your eyes are not distracted by furniture, paintings, etc. An empty home looks very stark. For some it is a plus became they can visualize how they would "fit" in the place, but for others, including first time buyers, it can be a great help to visualize a sofa, there a chair here. I understood after she explained.

Old 08-04-2019, 06:53 AM

4,853 posts, read 3,279,714 times
Good 'staging' of a used house, or just still lived-in furnishings can hide (or certainly minimize) flaws that might be a concern to buyers. This I know from recent personal experience.

Old 08-04-2019, 08:05 AM

357 posts, read 248,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
Good 'staging' of a used house, or just still lived-in furnishings can hide (or certainly minimize) flaws that might be a concern to buyers. This I know from recent personal experience.
That’s not really advisable. I’ve heard of lawsuits happening bc defects were purposely hidden by rugs, cutting boards, etc. A seller has a duty to disclose things he knows are wrong with the house. And if the listing agent knows about it, they, too can be on the hook for disclosure.

Old 08-04-2019, 08:42 AM

There is a difference between hiding major defects and putting things on the best footing possible.

Those who like to buy at rock bottom dollar want the house empty. They also would rather people not paint, redo floors, etc. They would rather get a discounted price and do that themselves.

Those people who want to sell their home for the best price possible, fix the place up. There are those who will pay a premium for "move-in ready." Many buyers feel more "at home" in a place with furniture.

There is a reason that model homes are always staged.

Old 08-04-2019, 09:54 AM

4,853 posts, read 3,279,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaTownsley View Post
That’s not really advisable. I’ve heard of lawsuits happening bc defects were purposely hidden by rugs, cutting boards, etc. A seller has a duty to disclose things he knows are wrong with the house. And if the listing agent knows about it, they, too can be on the hook for disclosure.
I'm specifically talking about cosmetic things that I wouldn't expect to be declared. Poorly installed baseboard, pet stains along a wall (hidden by a couch perhaps), holes for cable/phone wiring through the floor instead of inside the wall, surface nailing of hardwood floors that might be covered with throw rugs, etc. In my case, nothing that would've stopped me from buying the house because I knew going in I'd be doing some work, but it was still a bit of a surprise at the final walk-through.

Old 08-04-2019, 10:05 AM

14,489 posts, read 12,121,454 times
"By the way, did we mention there's an old chalk outline and blood stain under the area rug in the living room?

Would you like us to leave the rug? Perhaps?

(Sorry, feeling cheeky this morning!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate