Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2019, 02:01 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,295,516 times

Advertisements

I have a home I'm getting ready to sell. Itself, its worth between 600 and 650k. It is completely energy self sufficient and I'm thinking about including my electric car in with the house to market it as a green home/deal. The car is worth about 50-60k and I'm hoping that as a result of the deal, i can perhaps get more than that when the package deal is marketted correctly.

The only major issue i see is that potential buyers may not qualify for their loan, because the house will not appraise for the 700k (for example) listed price because they won't take the car's value into consideration when doing the home appraisal.

Tell me why this is a good/bad idea! Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2019, 02:09 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,336,894 times
As you said, the house/property alone will have to support the appraisal. You're not really including the car as a "deal" if you're going to raise the house price to include the car value.

Lenders get kind of "funny" about stuff when furnishings, cars, tractors, etc. are included in the sale. Typically it should be a separate bill of sale.

Plus some people may not be interested in an electric car. Others will see the house is overpriced. Most won't be looking to buy a car with a house.

Old 08-25-2019, 02:34 PM

9,875 posts, read 14,116,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking-man View Post
I The car is worth about 50-60k and I'm hoping that as a result of the deal, i can perhaps get more than that when the package deal is marketted correctly.
ok, so you want me, the buyer, to buy your used car and actually expect me to pay more for it than it it worth? If I am buying a used car, I want to select the make, model, color, and mileage.

So, by doing this, you are looking for a buyer who wants your home AND your car. Why would you make your home sale that much more difficult?

Now, if the car was worth 50-60k, and you only upped the home price by 10k.....that's another story.

Old 08-25-2019, 03:23 PM

8,575 posts, read 12,398,483 times
Trying to sell a car along with a house will only limit your potential buyers. This guy in Detroit tried including two cars with his rather eccentric house:

https://detroit.curbed.com/2018/3/15...-home-for-sale

It hasn't helped him a bit.

Old 08-25-2019, 03:26 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,929,741 times
Quote:
I have a home I'm getting ready to sell. Itself, its worth between 600 and 650k.
It is completely energy self sufficient and I'm thinking about including my electric car...
You don't need the car where you're going... right? Go for it. Give them the garden tools as well.
But don't count on it having any impact on the sale price or the buyers financing.

Old 08-25-2019, 03:35 PM

6,471 posts, read 10,335,572 times
I am thinking for the state Department of Motor Vehicles, it could create issues for the buyer to register the vehicle. Even if the vehicle is not "road worthy", many states require annual vehicle registrations.

Old 08-25-2019, 03:44 PM

3,607 posts, read 7,916,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
Trying to sell a car along with a house will only limit your potential buyers.

The number of people who want to buy a house and one particular car at the same time will be very very small.

Old 08-25-2019, 03:51 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,086,413 times
Home lenders won't lend money to buy cars so if included it would have to be at zero value.

You can go ahead and mark it for sale when people are looking at the home.... maybe it will inspire some interest! But it should be a separate transaction.

Old 08-25-2019, 05:27 PM

6,471 posts, read 10,335,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
...... maybe it will inspire some interest! But it should be a separate transaction.
Agreed, my broker always advised me if a seller wanted to include home furnishings in a sale to write it up as a separate transaction. This would be a similar type of transaction.

Old 08-25-2019, 07:38 PM

9,875 posts, read 14,116,397 times
Quote:
I

The only major issue i see is that potential buyers may not qualify for their loan, because the house will not appraise for the 700k (for example) listed price because they won't take the car's value into consideration when doing the home appraisal.

:
Just remembered from your other thread that this property is in Sterling, VA. This is not an area where you should expect a cash offer. Everyone will be financing. Unless the car is a bonus and the house appraises for the sale amount, you likely won't get a sale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate